• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Voltage stabilizer

Wharfedale Evo 4.2

dichkaun

What rating voltage stabilizer would be appropriate to drive a stereo amp, audio source and a powered sub?
Any brand recommendations would be nice too.

~dich

Anil kumar

Hi, 2 kva stabilizer should be ideal, if you are in Bangalooru you can contact Mr. Manjunath on 9886081610 (Vertex stabilizer for the a/v system )

What rating voltage stabilizer would be appropriate to drive a stereo amp, audio source and a powered sub?
Any brand recommendations would be nice too.

~dich

dichkaun

Thanks Anil.
Wouldn't 2KVA be an overkill.
My amp has a max power consumption of 650W, the player takes very little and sub about 300W.

~dich

dichkaun

oh and another questions:
How does a stabilizer for "a/v system" different from the regular one.

~dich

dichkaun

10K for the stabilizer is a tad expensive.
I am already being extended to buy the receiver and the speakers.
I am sure this makes sense in the long term.
But, for the short term are there any cheaper options?

~dich

particleman

dichkaun: There may be hope soon. Kshitij of Designer Audio tells me they are planning to launch a line of power conditioning products in a month or two. They are going to be affordable (2k-3k onwards) and a good alternative to the rather expensive Monster products (8k for a powerstrip!). Will be keeping a close eye on their homepage (Designeraudio - Homepage) for developments. I have heard that Sonodyne also has power conditioning products available but I dont have the opportunity at present to visit their showroom for the next week or so due to work. For the time being I am using a good spike suppression powerstrip and crossing my fingers.

OT: May I ask what amp+speakers you went with in the end?

nitish

dichkaun: There may be hope soon. Kshitij of Designer Audio tells me they are planning to launch a line of power conditioning products in a month or two. They are going to be affordable (2k-3k onwards) and a good alternative to the rather expensive Monster products (8k for a powerstrip!). Will be keeping a close eye on their homepage (Designeraudio - Homepage) for developments. I have heard that Sonodyne also has power conditioning products available but I dont have the opportunity at present to visit their showroom for the next week or so due to work. For the time being I am using a good spike suppression powerstrip and crossing my fingers.

OT: May I ask what amp+speakers you went with in the end?

Hi,
Power conditioner and voltage stabilizer are entirely different. A power conditioner acts more like a spike guard and make the electical waveform uniform, while a stabilizer increases or decreases the voltage if it fluctuates.
If power fluctuation is on you mind buy a voltage stabilizer and you may couple it with a conditioner, like the ones to be launched by Designer Audio.

I have a spare Argo Servo 1KVA stabilizer, which I have not been using for sometime now, since I bought a UPS.
I can sell this if anyone is interested. I live in Mumbai, so the person will have to come and pick it up.

rigmarole

10K for the stabilizer is a tad expensive.
I am already being extended to buy the receiver and the speakers.
I am sure this makes sense in the long term.
But, for the short term are there any cheaper options?

~dich

I would suggest going with a sinewave UPS instead of a stabilizer. A stabilizer is appropriate for heavy duty appliances and not sensitive electronics. It does not guard against spikes that are fraction of a sec. The APC brand UPS outputs an approximated sine wave, which is what I use for my LCD TV and planning to get for my receiver.
Oh! and you get battery backup also, to shutdown in a sane manner.