Vu 127cm (50) 4K LED TV - Dark corners - Worth sending to service center?

saitanay

Had got 127cm (50) 4K TV a month ago from Flipkart.

All is fine except after some 15 days it has started showing light dark corners at the edges of the screen. Sometimes noticeable, sometimes not, depending on the image. Having seen it, I am unable to unsee.

Qqzds5l.jpg

More images @ Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Logged a complaint with the service center. First, the technician came and visited the TV. I stay in a III-tier town called Nellore in Andhra Pradesh. The technician declared that the issue is not really an issue. I insisted that he pursue the complaint. He said the company will give a callback.

No callback. Dropped an email to Vu customer care, and someone from their service center in Hyderabad (Captial of AP where Nellore is) called up. Asked me to send pics in WhatsApp, which I did.

Now the Hyderabad service center says that it will be an issue due to "dust on the panel" and will be easily rectified. However, the TV has to be transported to Hyderabad. The Vu service center is saying that they will take care of transportation costs.

But I am wondering is this some issue that they even understand the root cause for? The darkness is very lightly noticeable at the corners when usual videos are playing. Afraid if they would take it all the way to Hyderabad, and return it saying again that it is not an issue that they would recognize?

Risk of damage/scratches in transit worries me even further.

Anyone familiar with such dark corners, please suggest if I should have it serviced and if this is something that cheaper TV companies like Vu can recognize and rectify?

Regretting buying the TV. Vu TVs look amazingly economical. However, after this experience, I think it just works for someone who is just bothered about whether a TV is working or not. Anyone with a more keen eye and really enjoys watching movies, probably cheaper makes like Vu etc aren't worth their time, money and effort.

Have you tried gently pressing the corners while keeping the other hand behind the Tv.

No. Haven't tried that. Let me try.

Is this something to do with pressure? Is there a common name for this problem? (I don't think this can be categorized as backlight bleeding or clouding). And how are dark corners related to pressing the edges?

Nevertheless, I will try and report back here about what happens.

Have you tried gently pressing the corners while keeping the other hand behind the Tv.

It made some difference. Although not much. I feel the darkness is a little bit reduced. Probably it could just be my perception. Darkness still exists though.

The service center called up again today suggesting that they will have the TV picked up for service today. I postponed it asking for the TV to be picked up next week.

They suggest that it will be an issue with a display panel that requires cleaning. Could it really be an issue with dust/cleaning? I am skeptical if they understand the issue in the first place. Any suggestions if cleaning the display panel is a reasonable diagnosis for dark corners?

Actually it might be cleaning issue or may be not. If it's a edge lit Tv then it might be something serious. If Vu is providing the service and everything free of cost you should definitely give it a try.

Would advise to click snaps with the TV on and Off....also remove a short video with it ON and OFF...do this before handover in the presence of the person picking up...

This will give some comfort of the condition before handover to VU service center....make it clear that you have these evidences and the TV should come back in the same or better condition.....

Ensure you keep all communication, information and confirmations over emails....most have faced challenges when using phone calls ...straight denial of commitments etc.....

Document everything! After all, it is your hard earned money spent....

what's the update on this? Did you get it fixed.

It would be useful for forum members to understand Vu service quality.

Being in a town that doesn't have a service center, Vu offered to ship it to the nearest city, have it fixed and ship it back to my town themselves.

I decided to just let it be as-is. I am afraid they might damage the TV or cause scratches in the transit. Making the problem worse. Another reason being it took me hard to convince the Vu person that visited my home that there is a problem.

So, I am worried if they would even acknowledge the problem and would do something about it. Or would they just ship it back and forth just as some warranty obligation without doing anything.

Also, I use the TV for less than 5% of the usage. Primary users are my wife, mom and 5y kid. None of them are bothered by the problem. So decided that it might not be worth all the risk involved with the transportation.

Being in a town that doesn't have a service center, Vu offered to ship it to the nearest city, have it fixed and ship it back to my town themselves.

I decided to just let it be as-is. I am afraid they might damage the TV or cause scratches in the transit. Making the problem worse. Another reason being it took me hard to convince the Vu person that visited my home that there is a problem.

So, I am worried if they would even acknowledge the problem and would do something about it. Or would they just ship it back and forth just as some warranty obligation without doing anything.

Also, I use the TV for less than 5% of the usage. Primary users are my wife, mom and 5y kid. None of them are bothered by the problem. So decided that it might not be worth all the risk involved with the transportation.

How does it look when the display is full black?..

If the TV is within the warranty period, you should let know VU that you are not happy abt the issue & insist for a replacement.. May be e-mail exchange with higher management can help you resolve the issue..

If they don't find a solution, post it on their facebook page..

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back