vu tv service and myself

karthi1000

hi friends i am using vu tv55k160 for the past 14 months with no issues
suddenly on august 1 when i switch on the tv tv started then smoke came and no picture.. i switched off every thing pull off the mains cable from socket and contacted vu service
As usual by any indian company first they asked is it under warranty or not . I said warranty period is over .Then they show their VU colors, no service men turned on me for 5 days:sad::sad:
then i decided to do myself
first i Google it and found few tips
my TV has sound and no picture ,,,,so main board mostly ok
my TV has momentary picture showing vu logo at the start and then no picture
so back light is ok
then THE FLASH TEST on TV , ie try to flash a torch light at an angle to see any picture while the sound is playing ...Try to see some picture or letters,,,,, i can make out the picture faintly
then the problem might be in power supply to back light leds Most common power supply failure will be in capacitors and diodes i look for capacitors since smoke came

then i opened the back panel
here r the pics
j08t5i.jpg

2ni06pw.jpg

power supply board

16k6n8n.jpg

bulgde seen in the capacitor

fxtcex.jpg

comparison of new and bulged capactitor

15q2qte.jpg

I traced the culprit as the capacitor 450v 82 mfd which shows the bulging and also ticking noise coming from it when power is on which means internal arcing
i changed that myself WITH MY little soldering knowledge and Google.. And reassembled every thing ,...... voila tv is again alive
its my luck my TV is alive again plz check service of vu television and then decide to buy the TV,,,,,,still my rating as 9/10 for picture 10/10 for vfm if every thing goes right.. Plz take maximum warranty period ie Extended warranty which i missed
i have posted this for knowledge only , iam not expert in electronics
i have done this to bring my tv alive due to my frustration which is good or bad i dont know
total cost100..... 50 rupees for capacitor and 50 rupees for my assistant for coffe and snacks:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: total cost estimated by vu people for inspection only is 1200:sad:

Just for inspection Rs 1200
Who is gonna come to inspect? Some angel.

@karthi1000,
My friend, it is not only with VU. for most of the companies, service is managed by some third party franchise. Kudos to you that you yourself resolved the issue.

Nice DIY job.I had changed my Dish tv STB caps for Rs.50 when service center said Rs.700 inspection and part value extra.:eek:

Superb Job Karthi....

The best part is the fault was found in visual inspection itself.

Else finding the culprits is a long haul, I've been to that route but wasn't lucky.

yes correct otherwise its very technical .. one of my friend advised me to change few components previous to the capacitor one ceramic condenser and both the larger diodes for safety hence i am planning to change that

Nice DIY job.I had changed my Dish tv STB caps for Rs.50 when service center said Rs.700 inspection and part value extra.:eek:
My Dish TV STB had similar issues when i purchased them in 2007. Witin 2 years all electrolytic capacitors had leaked and service centre told me Rs.900/- for a new STB. I replaced all the capacitors for around Rs.60/- and till date no issues.:lol:

.... the capacitor i had repalced is enough or i have to replace some other thing in the chain

If a capacitors are in parallel, it is recommended to replace both of them, since they are of the same make. Now that you are aware, you wont find issue replacing the other one.

@karthi what is your backlight setting on the TV. Having higher backlight can put load on power supply. VU tv are usually bright, I have never found the need to exceed above 50%.

One more inclination to buy the VU product from seeing your information. BTW, there would be no difference between other brand service centers too (after the warranty period). Probably they would have come in a day or two when compared to VU fellows not turning up in your case!!
BTW, still its VFM. One would go for extended warranty - and then later choose the local service guy to check the TV in case there are other problems after the warranty period. Thanks Karthi.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back