Wansa Anyone?

There are two ways of looking at it:
I have seen them in comparison to samsung and sony, their colors looked a little off.
But i think if one is looking at them alone in one's house , without any comparison , they should look ok.
These tv's are like a disposable commodity.I think one should spend the least possible money on the largest size avail in that budget.

I have used Wansa products in Kuwait. Yes, from Al ghanim itself. We have had stuff like home appliances of Wansa brand. Some friends have Crt TVs from Wansa. Not too bad considering the price but lifespan in most cases is 2-3 yrs max. Performance is middling.
I am not too familiar with their Lcd tvs though.

No offence to anyone but frankly when thi sthread appeared first I read " WASNA" not " WANSA" so I though some "hot" discussion about some " Shady" and " underground" hindi movie called " WASNA" :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::cool:

Anyway there was a movie like this also there used to be a movie called " Hawas" in which "teri galiyon mein" song was featured!

So Wansa is a Big NO NO?? I compared to a LG and sumsung to Wansa they all seemed to slightly better.

yes a budget LG/Samsung will outgun the Wansa - most importantly will give you peace of mind. You would not want to have warranty problems later on.

And whether you like it or not - TVs are usually a one time buy (at least for 4-5 years in India, our first colour television from Keltron lasted over 15 years) - spend you money wisely.

I would really go and hunt around and buy stuff from the Chinese than buy from some Indians if it were so. Come to think of it the Chinese ain't so bad as some of my fellow Indians are to me and my community. Anyway this will lead to useless political bickering so that's why let's lay off the politics shall we.

Moserw,

I'll reply to the Wansa specific discussion here and give a general reply to other observations in a separate post.

The technical reason for not buying Wansa is that it is not that great compared to the established ones out there (Samsung, Pana, Pioneer), even at rock bottom prices. I remember seeing it briefly and not liking the picture. If you're looking for a cheap LCD, then Videocon also has good prices...I think they source their technology from Thomson, which they had bought out. Another cheap brand is Moserbaer which has come out with TVs and DVDs. But like many opinions here, I prefer spending money well the first time on a good piece that lasts me many years. The only future innovation I can see for flat-screens is organic LEDs, which are still some years away in terms of prices and reliability. So for the present, going for a good LCD for a longer time seems practical.

Coming to the nationalistic sentiment of my post, I don't think nationalist always implies politics. The China war was not for political mileage, it was fought for territory. I also don't see how a few Indians being bad to you would make you go after Chinese goods. I'm sure a few Chinese are bad to their fellow countrymen as well but you don't see China as a nation running to buy Indian stuff:eek: I don't understand this particular sentiment of yours of extrapolating the behaviour of a few to the attitude towards a whole nation.
However, the intention of my post was not to create a furor. I just wanted to offer a non-technical reason for rejecting the Wansa brand, apart from all the technical reasons given.

Thanks,
Ajinkya.

General reply to observations on my post:

@Venkat:
No Venkat, I don't subscribe to going back to the Gurukulam days either! :p That's why I did not say we should ban US products, because as you mention, practically we can't do so. What I meant to say was that if there is a Chinese brand that we can avoid, it may be a good idea to do so if the opportunity arises.

@jaudere:
Nice perspective about Indian philosophy and I agree. As I mentioned, I am not advocating swadeshi all the way, simply because it's impractical. But doing so whenever feasible, specially with countries we know are our enemies.

@hemantwaghe:
I also agree with your observations. See above for what I meant. Hopefully, we will someday have technology to call our own. One example is the recent Chandrayaan Indian Moon mission, which had a lot of technology and algorithms made in India.

@gobble:
Thanks for the informative link. I had heard of that book but till now did not get enough time to read it completely. I am always surprised to see how many facets of ancient India are uncovered, praised and discussed by foreigners, rather than Indians. Maybe we are too busy playing regional and religious politics.

And that's all folks. I do not want to drag this discussion since I don't want to muddle the original objective of this thread, which was to answer Moserw's questions about the Wansa brand. In case someone has additional comments to make, I request that you either PM me or start a separate thread titled ' My observations on Ajinkya's observations of the People's Republic of China (and other assorted enemies of India)'.

-Ajinkya.

@ajinkya - Like I said let's not drag this and make it political but it seems you are intent on doing just that. Here you make it sound like Wansa is a bad brand hence not to be purchased but in your original "rant" as you yourself put it you said China was our enemy and does not deserve any customers from India. Of course if you want to retract this statement then by all means do so but please don't change the track as if that's not what you meant since that's exactly what you meant.

Sorry for a nationalistic spin on this topic but I would stay away from any Chinese products fas a principle. A country which has always been our enemy (1961), which has never respected our national borders (Arunachal Pradesh), is friends with another enemy (Pakistan) and which has recently opposed branding and punishing known terrorist organisations (in the UN) does not deserve any customers from India.

Of course, by this logic, we should stop buying USA things as well, since their funding (and purposeful blind eye) created Taliban and ISI strength in the first place...but that's a topic for another thread.

End of rant.

-Ajinkya.

Coming to branding the whole of India as bad because of a few Indians then the same applies to China too you know. You cannot brand the Chinese as bad because of a few bad Chinese some 50 years ago who attacked us. The world's products are manufactured in China today. Recently on a trip to London all I saw was Made In China labels on most products. If you can stop labeling all of China as bad then yeah sure I can stop labeling Indians too as bad. Otherwise there is nothing bad the Chinese have done to me today. Instead see how my community is being attacked in Karnataka after some so called nationalistic party (I'm sure with thoughts like yours) came to power in that State. Ditto for Orissa and please do check with Muslims in Gujarat with again a nationalist party in power there.

Before you try to take on me and/or bad Chinese, start with taking on some fellow nationalistic Indians for starters. As for me I will any day buy from what you call bad Chinese rather than moronic nationalistic Indians.

Ajinkya

I deeply appreciate your Nationalistic fervor. I am with you :).

Cheers

Even I'm nationalistic. But calling other countries bad while not seeing the bad in your own country and countrymen is not nationalistic my brother, in fact there is nothing nationalistic about it.

Even I'm nationalistic. But calling other countries bad while not seeing the bad in your own country and countrymen is not nationalistic my brother, in fact there is nothing nationalistic about it.

We are referring to two different things. :)

Cheers

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back