Want to buy a tuner

sacd77

Hi guys I want to buy a stand alone tuner to connect to my system. Requirement, not basic not high end. Suggestions would be appreciated.

NAD is the best, not basic and not high end but very high end sounding though. If you can find a 402, that will serve you very well, no remote though. Personally I have tried many, from Sony, Technics, Pioneer, Marantz, etc but none of these could match the NAD's sound quality.

If you are interested in DXing and SW, MW reception go for XHDATA D-808. It's a portable radio tuner but has very sensitive and stereo output from that sounds excellent.

I was testing one yesterday and was as to receive a FM station from Ooty (240 KMs- aerial distance ) in Mangalore suburbs. Tecsun PL 303 never caught that station until now. Also Bangalore stations too (Fever 104 very clear- 290 KMs ). Radio City 91.1 and Mirchi 95 was noisy. 102.9 AIR was coming in clearly too.

(sorry, didn't check the original post date. This is an old thread. Saw it under the new post and responded)

NAD is the best, not basic and not high end but very high end sounding though. If you can find a 402, that will serve you very well, no remote though. Personally I have tried many, from Sony, Technics, Pioneer, Marantz, etc but none of these could match the NAD's sound quality.
Hi Reubensm
C427 NAD tuner is costing Rs 51k in India.
In USA it is $ 499.
Is the price you think totally worth it.
Plz advise if any cheaper options to buy in India.

Last edited:
Hi Rubensm
C427 NAD tuner is costing Rs 51k in India.
In USA it is $ 499.
Is the price you think totally worth it.
Plz advise if any cheaper options to buy in India.
The C427 is a great tuner but is very expensive as it has the RDS and RT facility (Radio Data System is for passing digital info like station name, song name, genera program info, etc while RT is Radio Text is used by stations for passing text messages like slogans, important announcements, etc), has 40 odd presets and works with any standard full-function NAD remote control. Now, if you really must have it and can afford it, then 50k is the price to pay. However the reality is that RDS and RT facilities are of no use in India and at the end of the day, you are going to have to listen to our regular Delhi FM stations. Hence 40 presets are not going to be of any use either. Yes, the remote is handy though and one advantage you have is that you can mix AM and FM stations across these 40 presets. The older NAD tuners would had a separate set of presets for AM and FM and hence, you'd have to switch between AM and FM to access your AM and FM presets.

This tuner is great to have as it is modern and claims to have a great front end, so you'd essentially get good reception with high quality sound. Having said that, 2 NAD tuners from the past, considered to be arguably the best from NAD, can compete, if not beat it. These are the NAD 402 and its sibling the NAD 412. You can pick one of these up for between Rs.2000 and Rs.6000 depending on the condition and enjoy great NAD reception and and audio quality with the same features like 'blend' which is used for playing stereo music in when the FM station is weak. The number of presets are 12 for FM and 12 for AM and they dont have remotes. But you can enjoy the NAD tuner experience to the fullest.

If you still want to be contemporary, why not try out the C426. It is also a RDS/RT tuner but with 30 presets. The C420 is also not bad. I saw a C426 on olx.in, why not check that out (no affiliation with the seller)

The C427 is a great tuner but is very expensive as it has the RDS and RT facility (Radio Data System is for passing digital info like station name, song name, genera program info, etc while RT is Radio Text is used by stations for passing text messages like slogans, important announcements, etc), has 40 odd presets and works with any standard full-function NAD remote control. Now, if you really must have it and can afford it, then 50k is the price to pay. However the reality is that RDS and RT facilities are of no use in India and at the end of the day, you are going to have to listen to our regular Delhi FM stations. Hence 40 presets are not going to be of any use either. Yes, the remote is handy though and one advantage you have is that you can mix AM and FM stations across these 40 presets. The older NAD tuners would had a separate set of presets for AM and FM and hence, you'd have to switch between AM and FM to access your AM and FM presets.

This tuner is great to have as it is modern and claims to have a great front end, so you'd essentially get good reception with high quality sound. Having said that, 2 NAD tuners from the past, considered to be arguably the best from NAD, can compete, if not beat it. These are the NAD 402 and its sibling the NAD 412. You can pick one of these up for between Rs.2000 and Rs.6000 depending on the condition and enjoy great NAD reception and and audio quality with the same features like 'blend' which is used for playing stereo music in when the FM station is weak. The number of presets are 12 for FM and 12 for AM and they dont have remotes. But you can enjoy the NAD tuner experience to the fullest.

If you still want to be contemporary, why not try out the C426. It is also a RDS/RT tuner but with 30 presets. The C420 is also not bad. I saw a C426 on olx.in, why not check that out (no affiliation with the seller)
Good idea wiil plan to buy from OLX , no need to spend from hard earned salary savings Rs 51 k.

Very Greatful for your proper advice indeed. That is why this forum and community is so good as members are great.

One other point I forgot to ask was on best Internet Radio listening quality options. Look forward to hear from you.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back