Wanted - A List Of The Best DACs...

musicbee

Hi,

Would be great if anyone can compile a list of the best DACs or share their experiences/reviews.

I'm looking to build a music PC (well I already have the PC) and I'm zeroing in on ASUS Xonar Essence ST/STX or ESI Juli@ or Musical Fidelity V-DAC MKII.

Just want to know how improved/different is the V-DAC in comparison to the ASUS Xonar Essence ST/STX.

Last edited:
i suggest you enjoy your new pc and the sound card for some time before you start looking for an upgrade. essence has a pretty good inbuilt dac and it will take quite some effort to beat it nicely. if a dac is only slightly better, then whats the point in spending a lot of money on it:)

i suggest you enjoy your new pc and the sound card for some time before you start looking for an upgrade. essence has a pretty good inbuilt dac and it will take quite some effort to beat it nicely. if a dac is only slightly better, then whats the point in spending a lot of money on it:)

Don't have the Asus yet... and my sister is coming next month from US... so I'm wondering if the MF VDAC (at Amazon prices) is a good deal.

I don't think the step up in sound quality between the Analogue outs of the ST/STX and the MF V-DAC II will the commensurate to the increase in price. I'm assuming about 9K for the ST/STx and 17K for the V-DAC II here. Also, I have not listened to the V-DAC II, but I have listened to the original V-DAC. My opinion is based on the assumption that the V-DAC II will sound slightly better than the original V-DAC.

I have no idea how things will fare between the analogue outs of the Juli@ and the ST/STX.

I'd suggest getting the Juli@ (about 8K, I think) for now and using the analogue outs. When/If you want to step up, I think (IMHO of course) you will need to get a DAC in the 25K plus range if you want appreciable difference for the money spent. At that point, you will have an excellent coaxial digital-out in the Juli@ ready to be mated with the coaxial-in of that DAC. IMHO USB inputs have a ways to go (in the under 50K range) before they begin to sound as good as digital coaxial input.

This is the strategy I followed when I planned my Music PC, and I think it worked out very well for me.

So I think the sensible thing to do (if you plan to upgrade later) is to get a Juli@ or an ST/STX now, and NOT a V-DAC II.

Last edited:
pretty much any decent design based on the sabre 9018 chip. twisted pear has a diy kit too.

I can't comment on other DACs except Xonar STX. The best part of STX is opamp rolling without voiding the warranty. You can change the sound signature for your preference.

Acoustic Portrait 24/192 Async USB DAC... Excellent quality & connectivity (2XSPDIF, Optical & Async USB inputs. Balanced and RCA outputs).

Regards,
Venu

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back