wanted the best speaker system

samsailo

Hello,

This forum has helped me in purchasing a very fine home theater system but for the lack of enough space I sold them and wanted to get a stereo speaker set. I have finalized with Cyrus X 8 CD player and Cary CAI 1 integrated amplifier. I still can't decide on the Floorstanders though I am considering the Anthony Gallo Reference nucleus 3.1 with the Subwoofer amplifier, Spendor A5 or S9e, B&W 683, Morduant Short Mezzo, Wharfidale Opius etc.

I can lend out upto 2 lakhs INR. Any suggestions either than the above mentioned CD, Amp or Speakers are very much welcome. A speaker with a wide frequency response (20Hz - 20KHz if possible) with tight Bass response is most desirable. My preference is refinement, fidelity, wide soundstage, warmth, perfect timing and imaging with low down tight bass.

Your valuable opinions will be thankfully appreciated.

he he he , can i recommend the only speakers i've heard in that price range? The emerald physics CS3. It was goose bump level for me. But I know nothing about expensive audio, but this might at least be worth a look.

I'd vote for the CS2.3 if you could increase your budget a bit more. I have heard the Gallos and I thought they were nicely detailed and polite. Maybe because it was not set up right, I personally felt that it lacked 'slam' when playing some heavy stuff. As I remember, it sounded to my ears like the tweeter and midrange did not hand off the lower frequencies seamlessly to the woofer. Ofcourse this could again be due to the less-than-optimal setup or I'm maybe I'm not explaining this right. Bottom line, I'd think the Physics would be a much better speaker than the Gallos. Also, it would help if you could post your listening preferences, the size of the room you would be putting these in and if you're willing to travel for an audition...

Since imaging and timing are two important criteria mentioned, you will need to restrict your choice to the very limited time and phase coherent speakers available.
Two names I can suggest are Thiel and Vandersteen (I own Vandy 2Ce Signature). Thiel is available in India, as far as I know, whereas if you directly import a pair of the current Vandy 2Ce from USA, still you will end up spending < Rs 2 lakhs indicated (including freight, duties etc). The international dealer of Vandy gives you a straight 25% dealer dicsount. Thiel prices should be available with Audio People, Chennai if they are still the distributor.
A good subwoofer for music like Vandersteen or Thiel or Rel (I got mine from Audio People) or Bag End (I think Sound of Music, Delhi sells them) or M&K can be subsequently integrated into the system if you really want to go down on bass, not normally possible with just floorstanders.
Just a suggestion (no business interests involved). Good luck.
murali

Thanks Murali, I shall try and check these speakers out. I shall check out their web and see what I can find

My listening preferences are jazz, pop, instrumental, rock. I dont need the speakers to be so forward but depth and musicality.

Seems like you want a very neutral speaker system that can reproduce detail with great accuracy. Genelec OY is a company in Finland that makes such speaker systems. However I don't think they are available in Mizoram, but if you do travel to Bombay, you could visit their demo room in Mahim and audition their DSP systems that accurately autocalibrate to suit your room acoustics. They are widely used as reference loudspeaker monitors in recording studios, and do a splendid job with hi-fi reproduction. You will be really pleased with these, I am sure.

Infact they have just launched a brand new revolutionary mid/high coaxial driver technology in their latest 8260A three way tri-amplified DSP system. This model will be available end this year and is quite expensive, but other models are well within your budget

Ofcourse, since they are active systems, you cannot use them with an integrated amplifier. You will need a pre-amplifier for these.

Genelec Oy - Distributors
Genelec Oy - Products

Last edited:
I can guarantee you that there is no "best" speaker system. Only ones that suit your tastes and preferences. That aside, if you can increase your budget to 2.5 lakhs, you can replicate my speakers which I have loved over so many and have given me the most satisfying listening experience thus far. I've owned B&W 800d, Usher Be-10/Be-20, Vandersteen 5A and Von Schweikert Vr-5se over the years and at different times in my life. These are all fantastic speakers but there still was an elusive quality that I was chasing. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I knew I would recognize it if it came by.

My current Omega speakers have provided the most musically satisfying experience for me and they cost a fraction of the big speakers I've had in my house at some time or the other. They have a musical perspective that is true, honest and intimate. They pour out their soul in every note and that is what I love about them. You can't go wrong with these speakers at ANY price point and they are simply outstanding at this relatively low price point.

They are sold direct from manufacturer, but if this setup was sold through dealer etc, expect a good minimum of 3 times markup.

Anyhow, here are the links. I have the Super 8 ($2,500) with dual Deephemp subwoofers ($2700 for both):

Omega Speaker Systems - Products > Super 8 Alnico Series
Omega Speaker Systems - Products > DeepHemp Series

You can save some money by getting the Deephemp Cube ($950 each) which use the exact same speaker drive, but in a small enclosure. The regular Deephemp goes a bit lower and provides a somewhat more textured bass. The cubes hit hard and have a more punchier sound (my choice for rock and more bass intensive music). Since I listen to a lot of jazz, I wanted something that provided more subtle texture in the bass itself. It's just a preference and I would have lived with either setup with no problem.

If you have any questions, let me know. If you do decide to get these speaker, you'll keep them for life... they are THAT good.

The mainproblem here in Mizoram is that we do not get any audiophile class speakers and travelling to Mumbai, Chennai etc just to audition the speakers is a little tough. But I am trying my best for it, planning to go Delhi in dec and see what i can gain.

Your opinions are valued

I think you should only buy the speakers that you can audition.
Don't just go with suggestion & reviews. As every one has a very diff taste & take on the sound they like.
All the best.
Cheers.

Thanks guys, I shall defenitely look into these speakers. My room is 20 X 24 foot, and for the amps I prefer tubes but right now planning to go with the Cary CAI 1, any more suggestions for the amp? I heard tubes sounded warm but tend to lack in power, am I right? I havent really auditioned the tubes though.

Shaizada wrote-
"..... These are all fantastic speakers but there still was an elusive quality that I was chasing. I didn't know what it was at the time, but I knew I would recognize it if it came by.

My current Omega speakers have provided the most musically satisfying experience for me and they cost a fraction of the big speakers I've had in my house at some time or the other. They have a musical perspective that is true, honest and intimate. They pour out their soul in every note and that is what I love about them..."
Its interesting & educative that you auditioned your way to these single driver speakers which give you so much joy.
My exposure to single driver speakers has been via Lyritas' Harmony Ones which use the Fostex 6" drivers;they cost just Rs 40k odd & sound wonderful,esp with SET amps.
Another Indian Mfr Mr George Jacob started making single drivers using Lowther drivers, heavily modified to suit his voicing perspective;his later versions have an added powered bass module to add some low end grunt, what omega accomplishes via their sub woofers.
I mentioned Omega hemp spkrs to Viren of Lyrita yesterday ( following the link in your post) & he said he respected these drivers a lot & wanted to work with them but the absence of a singapore/near east distributor made them very expensive to ship in & India is a pretty price sensitive market ,esp for small, boutique brands.
Have you ever heard your Omegas with a valve SET ?

Havent heard the Omegas, though I have heard of the name, never have I the chance to audition them. any idea on the Emerald physics? Havent heard them though but their specs seemed impressing. And one important thing, where do i get to audition these speakers. The web says ARN systems are a distributor in India but checking out their website leads me to nowhere, I see no Emerald physics in their web. Can anyone help

Havent heard the Omegas, though I have heard of the name, never have I the chance to audition them. any idea on the Emerald physics? Havent heard them though but their specs seemed impressing. And one important thing, where do i get to audition these speakers. The web says ARN systems are a distributor in India but checking out their website leads me to nowhere, I see no Emerald physics in their web. Can anyone help

Hi
You can audition these in Bangalore. We havent updated our web page as yet to show EP products, but we have both the CS3 and the CS2.3. You have asked about Usher I belive in another post, the nearest place for you to audition them is Calcutta. if you need more details, please email me

thanks
[email protected]
ARN

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back