WD Live TV + Seagate Home NAS - Rocks!

soulofmusic

I had bought WD Live TV sometime back and was about to sell it to raise some cash. Fortunately, i bought Seagate Home NAS at the same time and everything changed... for better :)

Now my series is:

Seagate Home NAS > WDTV > MF M3i > MA RX6

WDTV is not the best source, so will soon be getting a nice DAC in between.

But the ease of use of this setup is making me grin everytime I switch it on.

I directly download torrents on Seagate NAS, so need to swtich on the lappy only when I have to add torrents. Before this, I used a laptop as source, controlling that laptop through other laptop using VNC :D

However, this setup is even more convenient. Switch on WDTV which loads quickly and then juz listen to my muzik which would have got downloaded over night or when i was at office.

I have played even Blu ray formats (720p) through WDTV over wifi - never faced any issue

Seagate NAS data transfer is slow over Wifi, so the initial loading bit has to be through ethernet (5E give us 9-10mbps - tested, while CAT6a is suppose to give 30-40mbps - not tested). After that, downloading through torrent on 2MBPS directly to your NAS, never posed a problem.

But once you are through this loading phase, you download all your torrents on the NAS directly, arrange them around in your free time... n u can start ur music in 10 secs of stepping in the house...

I m juz luving it...

Even though i am not really the first one to discover this, it feels good to get there ;)

good. i am assuming you use transmission client for torrenting. and if you were me, attach the dac to seagate nas using USB and it becomes your transport directly using mpd or mpc

Tapatalk ka jalwa !!!

Yup Transmission daemon...

I was thinking to trying the mdp tweak too, but what about the interface to control the MDP? Then I will hv to get some anroid app on a mobile or turn on laptop (which I dont want)....??

MPD can be best run using android apps or through one of their numerous clients. Check their exhaustive wiki for details. U using the Seagate go flex net dock?

sent from hp TouchPad rocking rocking cm9

Hi ,

I too have a Goflex NAS and was planning to buy WDTV. How do you actually stream to WDTV ? Via Dlna ? I have observed that minidlna server in the goflex is not reliable, specially after a powercut when just does not come up ?

Thx
Amit

Hey Amit,

Through WDTV, you can use Seagate Home NAS as media server.
If the NAS is restarted (becoz of power cut or otherwise), yes it takes 5-10mins for WD to read through and start showing the content. But thats ok, isnt it.

Other than that, I hvnt faced any issues, even streaming heavy 720p Blurays.

You can also use DLNA to stream from your laptop, but I dont use that, as the whole point is not to switch on the laptop.

Hope this helps.

Hi ,

I too have a Goflex NAS and was planning to buy WDTV. How do you actually stream to WDTV ? Via Dlna ? I have observed that minidlna server in the goflex is not reliable, specially after a powercut when just does not come up ?

Thx
Amit

amit...

i use minidlna on goflex net running debian to stream to my Playonhd media player, s2 etc without any issues. even after a power cut, things run well without any issues.

since i dont have the wdtv, i cant vouch for the outcome...

Another thing : A while back I enabled transmission on the NAS by editing features.conf. and it would use the stock transmission that came with the device. After a recent upgrade I think they fixed the bug and now editing the features.conf has not been possible. Are you guys using transmission after downloading via ipkg ?

ohh this is a different ball game. i am running a different OS on a hacked goflex net dock.

Tapatalk on my cdma S2 !!!

Seagate Home NAS > WDTV > MF M3i > MA RX6

WDTV is not the best source, so will soon be getting a nice DAC in between.

Hey.. Are you using analog output of the WDTV??? :eek: :eek:
That is the most eloborate insult you can give to your M3i. :D

I have the WDTV and to mark in scale (if M1 is 10/10) would be 0.5/10.

Yes I agree... Its a downright insult for my setup... tht too i am using those cheap analog cables provided with WDTV... result is just BASS!

Thats why I have been so eager to get the DAC... Now thats is arriving... I will get back to some music....

Sachin what hifi are you referring to? Can i get some inputs?

WDTV+NAS is just convenience. M1DAC + M3i + RX6 is what suppose to give the music. Suggestions are always welcome.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back