WD TV HD Media Player supports both HDMI and Optical audio?

sarath

I m planning to buy "WD TV HD Media Player", but i have one doubt...
If i connect WD Media player to LCD through HDMI and then WD Media player's Optical out to Receiver, whether i will get sound from LCD or receiver (bcos HDMI carries audio too)?
Or is there any option in media player to select default audio as from optical?

If i connect WD Media player to LCD through HDMI and then WD Media player's Optical out to Receiver, whether i will get sound from LCD or receiver (bcos HDMI carries audio too)?

In case od WD TV - orignal -YES YOU CAN
I am doing the same
Not knowing about WD TV Live

Sarath Please post the reply if you have got the solution.

I have connected the same way i.e. direct to the LCD TV thru the HDMI cable and sound thru the optical out to the receiver. The sound is good. Why would you want to switch the sound off from the HDMI output ? You simply have to mute the sound on your TV when watching a movie.

I've tried connecting my WDTV Live to LCD thru HDMI and to Speakers thru composite simultaneously. The sound comes through both sources. I could not find any option in the settings to switch on/off a particular source. Not sure about older WDTV though..

Beats me why would you wanna do that (unless save on to that one extra HDMI cabe),

Simple solution :: connect WD TV to AVR through HDMI and then from AVR to TV through another HDMI

And if for god knows what reason you also want to connect the optical as well and switch between two audio sources...., connect the WD TV to AVR through optical keeping the HDMI connection (as explained above) intact, then assign the AVR source labes (for example DVD/BR, AUX, CD ...etc) to the audio source HDMI or Optical. for example DVD/BR to HDMI, AUX to otical. Then you can choose which audio to run from. If you would choose DVD/BR the audio would come through HDMI and if you choose AUX the audio would come through optical. Video in both the cases would come though HDMI.
You need to go in to the AVR setting to do that, refer the manual for the same.

But still I dont know why would you wanna do the complications. Follow the simple solution I explained above.

Hi,
I bought the WD live player yesterday . connected HDMI to Pana Plasma and optical to my sonodyne AVR. it was perfect.

In my sony lcd, there is an option for speaker 1)TV Speaker 2)Audio System...if TV speaker is selected, sound will come out of the tv speakers, if audio system is selected, tv speakers will be muted..All lcd tv's should be having this option, IMO (apart from the obvious solution of going the mute way..but that mute icon may keep showing on the screen)

In my sony lcd, there is an option for speaker 1)TV Speaker 2)Audio System...if TV speaker is selected, sound will come out of the tv speakers, if audio system is selected, tv speakers will be muted..All lcd tv's should be having this option, IMO (apart from the obvious solution of going the mute way..but that mute icon may keep showing on the screen)

Or decrease the sound level to zero on LCD, thats what I do. You don't get the mute icon on screen this way.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back