Weird Experiences with CD's

greenhorn

I've been building up a CD collection with US albums, and have found some cases where the US album is significantly different from the Indian one
1, I bought an ace of base album thinking it was Flowers, which was the one I had in Cassette format, as the cover was the same, then i noticed that the name is different, and the songs have different beats
2. bought a vengaboys party album CD, to find that a whole bunch of tracks are missing in the US version.
3. Bought a Jim reeves 2 CD set, to find not many songs per CD. His songs are pretty short, so a lot should fit on one. True enough, each cd had <25mins of songs - Why would they create that as a 2 CD set when it would have fit in 1

Folks in the music industry - Any Thoughts?

this is normal ...there is always this Japanese version which will have extra songs ....if you are buying imported cd's check japanese websites first

This is completely normal. Lots of times apart from track listing, the sonic quality also differs across geographies. Rule of thumb is better mastering in the bands country of origin. For e.g ,for Pink Floyd/Jethro Tull/Iron Maiden, UK pressings are supposedly better, for AC/DC, first pressings from Australia etc. In addition to this, Japanese pressings are reputed for their sonic quality and sound stage, but that comes at a big price difference. Also US masters are generally brighter, UK/France neutral, German and Amsterdam warmer, etc. Of course there are always exceptions to the norm.

In India normally, whether Western or Indian Albums, the Stampering quality is always good with Polydor or Music India or Universal Music. Sony Music differs with quality by type of Albums and prices and geographies.

In those days English Albums in EMI labels were good. Now, there are no English albums sold much even in big showrooms like Landmark, Starmark or any big malls.

Only Vinyls in Western Music are emerging back everywhere, but we can't be sure as it was earlier till 90's.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back