Well Recorded Rock Music

Same here, psychotropic. Although I am not too much of a fan of Western Classical as well. I much prefer Indian Classical.

I have heard terms said such as smooth jazz, warm jazz, cool jazz etc. If I get some of the meaning of these phrases, I guess I like the smooth and cool jazz forms better than the others. I am sure it will be enlightening if somebody were to help explain these terms. Sorry psychotropic if this is impinging upon rock music. Let me know and I will open a new thread if it will help.

hehe, let this thread be a bit like jazz music.....and head off in unexpected directions, so long as every once in a way someone tells me a good rock record to listen to.

Sorry psychotropic if this is impinging upon rock music. Let me know and I will open a new thread if it will help.

Some other well recorded which I like are Eagles (Hotel California, Hell Freezes Over), Alan Parsons (I Robot) and Toto (I have the compilation which sounds very good). The recording of some of Michael Learns to Rock albums is also pretting good.

hehe, let this thread be a bit like jazz music.....and head off in unexpected directions, so long as every once in a way someone tells me a good rock record to listen to.

If you want to hear some truly different rock music, try Don Caballero (if you haven't heard it already). Will expand your mind, I guarantee. All instrumental music. Sometimes called math rock. Their music is all about complex multi-layered patterns. Is a bit unapproachable though, so I usually listen to the band in small doses :)

To quote wikipedia,

"what an M. C. Escher drawing would sound like if made into music," the later Don Caballero albums often featured complex, multi-sectioned pieces loosely tied by an unorthodox time signature or inside-out guitar riff."

Source: Don Caballero - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...It's somewhat like the difference between commercial cinema and 'art' cinema, especially art cinema of the Iranian minimalist variety where they will show the same thing (maybe even a blank screen) for half an hour and expect the 'aficianados' to go 'oooh' 'ah' and so on.

Well, there's minimalism and there's minimalism. For true minimalism, we usually have to look East. Try a Takeshi Kitano movie like Hana-bi or Sonatine. YMMV, of course :)

My two cents. IMO these have quite good recordings:
Creed
Evanescence
Red Hot Chilli Pepper
Poets of the Fall
Rolling Stones / Mick Jagger - Very impressive recordings
Dire Straits / Mark Knopfler - Great recordings
Brit bands like Coldplay, Athlete, Death Cab for Cutie, The Verve, U2, Maroon5, Snow Patrol

All my copies of The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Rainbow & Scorpions do have good recording quality. I have all the albums of these groups (barring Jimi Hendrix) and don't really find much of a problem with their recording.

I'm not much into Grateful Dead, Uriah Heep, Thin Lizzy, & Black Sabbath so cannot say about them.
Well, I don't agree with you on Deep Purple and Led Zepplin. Led Z is acceptable but really lacks dynamics and punch. Deep Purple is even worse, virtually no kick drum on 'Smoke on the Water'. The recordings sound too thin overall...

Here's my list(not in any order of preference) :

1.Black Sabbath - Paranoid or Greatest Hits 1970-78
2.AC/DC - Highway to Hell
3.Pink Floyd - Any album :)
4.Def Leppard - The Vault
5.Bon Jovi - This Left Feels Right
6.Metallica - Black album
7.Cold Play - Parachutes or Viva La Vida or ...well, all their albums :)
8.Radiohead - OK Computer ( I'm not much of a fan, but they've got some really good recordings!!)
9. Eagles - Hell Freezes Over

Ok...here are my picks:

The Beatles - All Studio Albums
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
U2 - Joshua Tree
U2 - Achtung Baby
David Bowie - Low
David Bowie - Heroes
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Led Zeppelin - I
Led Zeppelin - II
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
Jeff Beck - Wired
Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Van Halen - 1984
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia

And probably many more....the biggest challenge is finding albums that are not overtly compressed and loud. ;)

Sea Change - Beck

Crash - Dave Matthews Band

A Night at the Opera - Queen

Amused to death - Roger Waters

Days of Future Passed - The Moody Blues

Hi
I've been collecting LP's from 1969 to 1983 untill cd's took over, a few of my friends dumped their collection on me, the LP's I like J Reeves/C.Richard/Beatles/J.Last/CCR/D.Purple favourite Ron Goodwin's "Gypsy Fire Dance & Arabian Nights"

Not the usual ones but really well recorded "Rock Albums"

1. Flaming Lips - Dark Side of the Moon
2. Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
3. Marillion - Six of One Half Dozen of the Other
4. Neville Brothers - Family Groove
5. Blue October - Foiled
6. Beck - Sea Change
7. Bryan Ferry - Dylanesque
9. The Best of Rare Earth

Roxy music 'Avalon'.
A master piece and should appeal to many.Sound quality is excelent.A great listen at night.
Genre:Glam-Rock.

Porcupine Tree 'Fear of a Blank Planet' .
Sounds bit heavy but very melodic.Top-notch production values.
Genre:progressive rock.

Avalon is a fantastic album.Bryan Ferry at his very best.It has a haunting quality.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back