Wharfedale 9.1/10.1/Polk tsi100 + Norge 2060 or Audio Engine A5

harshad

Hi All! :)
First of all this is my 1st post here and I am jus taking my first baby steps in this audiophile world. So please bear with me. :)
As the heading suggests, I am looking for a decent entry level Stereo system for my Desktop PC(for my medium size room, approx 15x15). I am from Goa and not many Hi-fi shops here. Auditioning individual speakers is not an option:sad:, so was hoping that you guys could help out in deciding.

Usage: 70% music, 30% movies (prefer headphones for gaming).
Source: Currently, On board Sound card from my PC. Planning, Soundcard as next upgrade.
Tastes of Music: Listen to varied kind. From metal(Metallica, Iron maiden, dream theatre....), to the acoustic numbers (John mayer, Adele...) to the beautiful compositions of A.R Rehman, to the Ghazals of Jagjit singh.. list goes on.

So my first confusion
1. Which of these would be a better option? Passive speakers + Amp or the AudioEngine A5's? I would have preferred the A5's for less cluttered space (Also heard some pretty good reviews), but they seem to be plagued by problems like overheating and some other Quality issues. I don't want the problem of sending them back and forth (will be getting them from online store) or ending up with dead speakers after the warranty period. Also I feel Passive Speakers + amp provide more flexible option.

2. If passive + Amp.. which of these speakers will be a good buy.. Wharfedele 9.1/10.1/polk tsi100
Was slightly inclined towards 9.1's because of their front ported bass ports(I have read that positioning of the Wharf 10.1's is crucial).
But then again.. 10.1's are the newer models.:confused: People who have heard them, can tip off their favorites.

3. Is the Norge 2060 suitable for the above speakers?
Any other suggestions? Norge users, any reliability issues?

The above choices are only based upon my lil online research. Any other suggestions are most welcome. And most importantly max budget 25K.

I have owned the norge 2060 and wharfe 9.1 system and is a good match. I have heard the polk tsi100 as well, but prefered the wharfe's Infact i still own the tsi 300 which i use for my 5.1 set up and these are great for movies, but still prefered the wharfes for music.
But audition and decide, I am sure there will be some forum firends around your place who will be happy to help if you do not find a dealer.

I agree with abracher9 and s_sachin... Norge2060 is a very good budget amp with pretty close to zero reliability issues.

It mates brilliantly with Wharf 9.1/9.2/10.1/10.2

the 9.1 imo is decidedly better than the 10.1. heard both and preferred the 9.1. However thats my ears and my perspective. U would need to audition both to see which one suits u better
However considering your room is 15x15 which is approx 225 sq feet. the 9,2 would be a much safer bet in the long run. especially if you listen to music at louder volumes and require a little bit of headroom . At higher volumes the 9.1/10.1 may sound strained.

Wharf and Polk are both opposite ends of the spectrum. Wharf's are warm speakers and sound more musical with genres like soft rock, classical, instrumental and will give u hours of fatigue free listening .

Where as Polk is more a HT speaker and bright however would sound much better than Wharf budget series for heavy metal etc.
However Klipsch speakers imo are perfect for that. Since the Klipsch reference series would be over your budget. Audition the synergy series. they have a relatively high sensitivity and will work well with most amps

To reinforce my point. You would need to hear all the above mentioned speakers and decide which is better on your ears and pocket.

If you are going with components , First decide on the speakers and after than the amp.
There are several options in the Norge price range, Pulz, Sonodyne etc etc.

@abracher9, s_sachin... Thanks for clarifying on 2060. I wanted to hear from the Norge users. Its reassuring.
@s_sachin, Flash.. Thanks for the inputs. I am inclined towards the wharfs(would prefer musical speakers). I would have loved to get the 9.2/10.2's, but that will be stretching an already maxed out budget..:sad:. Currently.. I am looking to get an audition of the Wharf 9.1/10.1. Will keep you guys updated. Sorry for the delayed response & again.. thanks a ton for the inputs.:)

@Audiodoc.. What were the upgrades you had to do? Also.. How far have you kept the kept the 10.1's from the rear wall?

I have heard and compared Wharfedale 9.1 and 10.1 with various amplifiers and components. I found 10.1 to be better and more musical sounding than 9.1

10.1 does need very specific placing but once you have done it, they really sing. If you place them wrongly, the lower end muddles up and may even sound boomy.

If placing is a problem, 9.1 makes a better choice. If you can place the speakers anyway you want (with no problems from your wife) then opt for 10.1

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back