Wharfedale Evo 4.2 with Sony STR-DN1080

gifen

Hello All,

I own the Sony STR-DN1080 AV Receiver. Thinking of upgrading my speakers. Wanted to know what are your thoughts on EVO 4.2 speakers with this Component?

Regards
Gif

Hello All,

I own the Sony STR-DN1080 AV Receiver. Thinking of upgrading my speakers. Wanted to know what are your thoughts on EVO 4.2 speakers with this Component?

Regards
Gif
I think you should get a Mission QX-2 and save Rs.55K. I liked it better than my Evo.

But then again, its also probably because of the type of music i listen to. Any preferred genres?

I think you should get a Mission QX-2 and save Rs.55K. I liked it better than my Evo.

But then again, its also probably because of the type of music i listen to. Any preferred genres?
Wow, curious about the Mission QX-2 now! What kind of music do you listen to?

Wow, curious about the Mission QX-2 now! What kind of music do you listen to?
A little bit of everything actually. Usually move from one genre to the next. Most recently, i was going through a new retrowave and carnatic music phase. Now rediscovering my love for all things rock and metal.

Stumbled upon this fantastic track in Tool's new album - Fear inoculum viz. chocolate chip trip. Mind boggling if you want to see how good the imaging, soundstaging and dynamically capable your speakers and/or amplifier are.

Last edited:
My personal view - The Evo 4.2s maybe over kill for the Sony receiver.
High end speakers shine with dedicated stereo amps.

Choose speakers that are easier to drive.

Just my 2 paisa.

My setup is Sony 1080+ Q Acoustics Concept 20 + concept center + SVS SB 1000 + Cambridge satellite
I dont think 1080 can drive Evo 4.2s, actually it can but wont do justice to it.
Its an AVR the power is decent not exceptional, what is your current speaker?

Thanks for your response! No preferred genres. I listen to all except heavy (death) metal and above. I also listen to regional and classical too.

My setup is Sony 1080+ Q Acoustics Concept 20 + concept center + SVS SB 1000 + Cambridge satellite
I dont think 1080 can drive Evo 4.2s, actually it can but wont do justice to it.
Thanks Aditya!

I see. I currently use B&W 685s2.

Just my 2 paisa.
Thanks for your tip. I am open to eventually upgrading my AV receivers as well.

Just my 2 paisa.
On the contrary, It's a matter of synergy. For example, the Evo 4.2s are a good match with my Marantz PM6006 and Crown XLS1502 (both are as budget as it gets) whereas it pairs terribly with my Cambridge Audio CXA81 which is more than 4x the cost of the aforesaid amps. On the other hand, the CXA81 pairs really well with my KEF Q350 which is considerably cheaper than the Evo 4.2. :)

I had 1050 until sometime before. It wouldn't drive the mentioned speaker pair to its potential but for sure, it will drive high sensitive speakers well when you run 5.1 or 7.1 modes. The AVR is surprisingly good for music listening too when you run it on stereo mode with a good source.

Try not to pair speakers like Klipsch and Polk (or whatever speaker sounds bright by nature) to the AVR, by nature the avr is bright sounding.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back