Wharfedale Evo 4.2

Ebenezer

Hello FMs,

I currently use Yamaha AS500 amp with Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 BS speakers. I would like to upgrade the setup. I thought of upgrading the speakers to Evo 4.2. I would like to know if Evo 4.2 sounds good with Yamaha AS500 amp.

Is there any way i can demo Evo 4.2 in Chennai. I checked with Volumate, they don't have Evo 4.2 available for demo.

Would appreciate your thoughts

I have the Diamond 11.2 and had a chance to listen to Evo 4.2 but only for about 15-20 minutes. Both speakers were driven with Audiolab 8000A. The Evo (for the obvious price difference) had better resolution, refinement and deeper and more textured bass. But for the 4.2 price you have a lot more options as well. Others can probably help more if you can elaborate what is your objective of upgrading, your listening preferences, source, etc.

Hello FMs,

I currently use Yamaha AS500 amp with Wharfedale Diamond 10.2 BS speakers. I would like to upgrade the setup. I thought of upgrading the speakers to Evo 4.2. I would like to know if Evo 4.2 sounds good with Yamaha AS500 amp.

Is there any way i can demo Evo 4.2 in Chennai. I checked with Volumate, they don't have Evo 4.2 available for demo.

The EVos are a different line up of speakers and need a careful pairing with the right amp. It will work to some extent but I believe the full potential may not be achieved.

If you are bored with the 10.2 diamonds why not see some other brand of speakers in a reasonable budget? For music, ensure that speaker impedance is 8 ohms, thats when you enjoy the depth produced irrespective of what genres music you hear. This i know from my experience as a DJ.

If easy demos not available where you can carry your amp, hook to the speakers of choice and hear out, suggest then to visit Youtube and see first hand review of speakers and their models( which you desire) and understand pros and cons and then make a short list later of the ones you want to upgrade to.....

We can then later chip in as to what may pair best with your existing amp and suggest the brand/model to go for and also possibly steer you to a good dealer at your location.

Dont rush...take your time and do all this first!

The EVos are a different line up of speakers and need a careful pairing with the right amp. It will work to some extent but I believe the full potential may not be achieved.

If you are bored with the 10.2 diamonds why not see some other brand of speakers in a reasonable budget? For music, ensure that speaker impedance is 8 ohms, thats when you enjoy the depth produced irrespective of what genres music you hear. This i know from my experience as a DJ.

If easy demos not available where you can carry your amp, hook to the speakers of choice and hear out, suggest then to visit Youtube and see first hand review of speakers and their models( which you desire) and understand pros and cons and then make a short list later of the ones you want to upgrade to.....

We can then later chip in as to what may pair best with your existing amp and suggest the brand/model to go for and also possibly steer you to a good dealer at your location.

Dont rush...take your time and do all this first!

As per Evo 4.2 spec
  • Nominal Impedance 8Ω Compatible

For music, ensure that speaker impedance is 8 ohms, thats when you enjoy the depth produced irrespective of what genres music you hear. This i know from my experience as a DJ.
Is there any specific reason to insist on 8 Ohms speaker for the above said reason ?

How far it would make a difference to a 6 Ohm speaker ?

TIA

As per Evo 4.2 spec
  • Nominal Impedance 8Ω Compatible

Is there any specific reason to insist on 8 Ohms speaker for the above said reason ?

How far it would make a difference to a 6 Ohm speaker ?

IMHO it does make a Difference in Depth of sound. You need to listen carefully to know this. Not everyone will notice the difference. I have changed more speakers than AVRs / AMPs over the years and seen the difference.

My speakers at home are all 8 ohms. I am more into music than movies. The output is much balanced and clear as expected.

Here is one of the many articles you can find over google

Hope this helps.

IMHO it does make a Difference in Depth of sound. You need to listen carefully to know this. Not everyone will notice the difference. I have changed more speakers than AVRs / AMPs over the years and seen the difference.

My speakers at home are all 8 ohms. I am more into music than movies. The output is much balanced and clear as expected.

Here is one of the many articles you can find over google

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your response

Regards

Hello All, thanks for all your response. My apologies for delayed response.

My main reason for looking for change is that i don't get good clarity / resolution in mid /lower mid frequencies in my current WF 10.2 speaker (with Yamaha AS500 amp). I think AS500 is tonally towards neutral. Any speaker that would have better clarity on mid / lower-mid frequency is what i am looking for (with punchy/tight bass), i dont like piercing treble for long listening. Allo boss player is the source i use, i listen to FLAC (ripped from CDs) and MP3 (320 kbps) audio formats, mostly listen to pop, jazz, acoustic, mild rock.

Recently i read a lot of good reviews about Elac Debut Reference DBR62. Do anyone have heard this speaker, does it pair well with Yamaha AS500? Would it have better clarity in mid-frequencies? Is it better choice than Wharfedale Evo 4.2? Is there any shop where i can demo Elac DBR62 in Chennai?

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Hello All, thanks for all your response. My apologies for delayed response.

My main reason for looking for change is that i don't get good clarity / resolution in mid /lower mid frequencies in my current WF 10.2 speaker (with Yamaha AS500 amp). I think AS500 is tonally towards neutral. Any speaker that would have better clarity on mid / lower-mid frequency is what i am looking for (with punchy/tight bass), i dont like piercing treble for long listening. Allo boss player is the source i use, i listen to FLAC (ripped from CDs) and MP3 (320 kbps) audio formats, mostly listen to pop, jazz, acoustic, mild rock.

Recently i read a lot of good reviews about Elac Debut Reference DBR62. Do anyone have heard this speaker, does it pair well with Yamaha AS500? Would it have better clarity in mid-frequencies? Is it better choice than Wharfedale Evo 4.2? Is there any shop where i can demo Elac DBR62 in Chennai?

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks
Hi
I would suggest to take your amp if u can and demo the evo 4.2 or any other speaker in your budget
cheers

Hi
I would suggest to take your amp if u can and demo the evo 4.2 or any other speaker in your budget
cheers
Thanks for your response. Yes, that's what i would like to do if Evo 4.2 and Elact DBR62 is available for demo in Chennai

I have the Diamond 11.2 and had a chance to listen to Evo 4.2 but only for about 15-20 minutes. Both speakers were driven with Audiolab 8000A. The Evo (for the obvious price difference) had better resolution, refinement and deeper and more textured bass. But for the 4.2 price you have a lot more options as well. Others can probably help more if you can elaborate what is your objective of upgrading, your listening preferences, source, etc.
Thanks, would be great, i FMs can share the other good options for BS speakers at 600 - 1000 USD price range.

Hi @Ebenezer

I have heard the Elac Debut Reference in Mumbai, I absolutely loved it. Its in my radar for future purchase. These were paired with NAD.

Haven't heard the Evo 4.2 but both these speakers are in different price ranges, add the different way each component is. Mainly the tweeter.

Try to Audition based on your liking and budget.

Hi @Ebenezer

I have heard the Elac Debut Reference in Mumbai, I absolutely loved it. Its in my radar for future purchase. These were paired with NAD.

Haven't heard the Evo 4.2 but both these speakers are in different price ranges, add the different way each component is. Mainly the tweeter.

Try to Audition based on your liking and budget.
Thanks for your response. Glad that you like Elac Debut Reference with NAD ( i guess it is warm sounding amp). I will try to find if i can audition them in Chennai.

The Wharfedale 10.2 speakers are extremely good speakers for the price and so is your Yamaha amp. There should not be any loss of resolution in the mids at all. Before jumping the gun with a different speaker/amp, I suggest that you look at the source and first try with a different source.

The Wharfedale 10.2 speakers are extremely good speakers for the price and so is your Yamaha amp. There should not be any loss of resolution in the mids at all. Before jumping the gun with a different speaker/amp, I suggest that you look at the source and first try with a different source.
Thanks for sharing this different perspective. Let me try different source and see if there is improvement. Appreciate your feedback

I have Evo 4.2 paired with Naim XS2 and it sounds great (for my taste). Earlier I was using KEF Q300 and Evo 4.2 is a good upgrade. Do PM me, we can check for the possibility of trying with your Amplifier if you are near by.

Hello FMs,

Don't go with evo, if you are using Wharfedale any speakers don't have the logic to go with this. This will give u the Lil more bass exp. Instead you may prefer b&w

Don't go with evo, if you are using Wharfedale any speakers don't have the logic to go with this. This will give u the Lil more bass exp. Instead you may prefer b&w
Thanks for your feedback. I heard that most B&W speakers are sibilant due to extended / boosted HF. Is that true? I have never heard B&W

@ Keith, can you suggest a better upgrade to my source? (currently i use Allo Boss 1.2 player with Volumio in it). Most of my music collections i have in digital form (WAV, FLACs & MP3)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back