What a difference air conditioning makes!

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15865

Yes, I experienced this first hand recently. I had fairly upgraded and optimised my stereo system before this and I was happy with the sound. I have a largish living room (340 sq ft) with multiple windows and cross ventilation, hence I never considered air conditioning it till now. But this summer beats all records for high temperatures and I had to give in and get it fitted with a split AC.

And then after the installation was complete I fired my system up with the windows closed and air conditioning on. And guys, was I surprised! Oh yeah. The clarity went up by notches. And the details - wow! I could hear so much more of the music I have heard umpteen times before. Let me give you one example. The last song on Mark Knopfler’s album ‘Tracker’ has the instruments coming on very slowlly. Earlier, I couldn’t hear anything till about 8 seconds into the song. (Try it and see when you start listening the sound). But now right into the 2nd second I started hearing it. So, my system had the detail, which I couldn’t hear earlier due to the ambient noise.

And then I started listening to other albums and I started discovering not just more detail. The sound has become much more lively/immediate. The immersion in the music has increased manifold as I get to hear what the singer and musicians were doing at the subtler level. Also the interplay/harmony between instruments is much more nuanced now. Norah Jones ‘Come Away’ with me was a favourite album always, but now it was like the musicians playing right there in front of me with so much virtuosity, and she is tempting me to go away with her. The brushed stroking of drums, the sustained sound of the strings... so many things the artists did that you were supposed to hear in the first place, but couldn’t due to the ambient noise around you.

And mind you. I live in one of the quietest areas in Thane, Mumbai. There’s no road for about 300 m from my building in any of the directions.And am on a high floor. And yet the sound isolation I could get by closing the windows with the AC allowed me to do is causing such a huge difference! If you live in a busy place, your dividends will only be higher.

So guys, if you haven’t yet gone the AC way, and even if your house is well ventilated, do consider conditioning your living room with a good split AC - it’s the best investment you can do in your system once you’ve done all other optimisation (including speaker placement - read my other thread in it). The 50 odd K you’d spend will take your system up a couple of rungs on the hi-fi sound ladder - and you’d enjoy your music a lot more than before. I’d say especially if your are into listening to acoustic music like Jazz, Classical, Country, Soul etc, you should do yourself the favour.

Here’s the hero who made this difference

B94552A4-04E1-4F93-BF4D-9DF414C81B80.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you used to have your fan on while listening to your system. The fan noise and the air will have a huge impact in the soundstage and that is why you are noticing a huge improvement

I have always found in winter,music sounds thicker and weighty.This must be due to simple physics.ln summer ,air become thinner due to heat and sound needs air to travel.May AC helping the same.

As long as u r happy it's fine..I feel that improvement u said ,because of silence created in the room (coz of noise elimination by closing ur door,window , switching off ceiling Fan etc...) Also ur room response might have become good ,due to this factor.Thats y most of audiophile prefer dedicated rooms with good acoustical room treatment .

Yes, I experienced this first hand recently. I had fairly upgraded and optimised my stereo system before this and I was happy with the sound. I have a largish living room (340 sq ft) with multiple windows and cross ventilation, hence I never considered air conditioning it till now. But this summer beats all records for high temperatures and I had to give in and get it fitted with a split AC.

And then after the installation was complete I fired my system up with the windows closed and air conditioning on. And guys, was I surprised! Oh yeah. The clarity went up by notches. And the details - wow! I could hear so much more of the music I have heard umpteen times before. Let me give you one example. The last song on Mark Knopfler’s album ‘Tracker’ has the instruments coming on very slowlly. Earlier, I couldn’t hear anything till about 8 seconds into the song. (Try it and see when you start listening the sound). But now right into the 2nd second I started hearing it. So, my system had the detail, which I couldn’t hear earlier due to the ambient noise.

And then I started listening to other albums and I started discovering not just more detail. The sound has become much more lively/immediate. The immersion in the music has increased manifold as I get to hear what the singer and musicians were doing at the subtler level. Also the interplay/harmony between instruments is much more nuanced now. Norah Jones ‘Come Away’ with me was a favourite album always, but now it was like the musicians playing right there in front of me with so much virtuosity, and she is tempting me to go away with her. The brushed stroking of drums, the sustained sound of the strings... so many things the artists did that you were supposed to hear in the first place, but couldn’t due to the ambient noise around you.

And mind you. I live in one of the quietest areas in Thane, Mumbai. There’s no road for about 300 m from my building in any of the directions.And am on a high floor. And yet the sound isolation I could get by closing the windows with the AC allowed me to do is causing such a huge difference! If you live in a busy place, your dividends will only be higher.

So guys, if you haven’t yet gone the AC way, and even if your house is well ventilated, do consider conditioning your living room with a good split AC - it’s the best investment you can do in your system once you’ve done all other optimisation (including speaker placement - read my other thread in it). The 50 odd K you’d spend will take your system up a couple of rungs on the hi-fi sound ladder - and you’d enjoy your music a lot more than before. I’d say especially if your are into listening to acoustic music like Jazz, Classical, Country, Soul etc, you should do yourself the favour.

Here’s the hero who made this difference

View attachment 35357
you have basically isolated your room from the sound going outside. Thats the difference you will hear even after shutting your windows.
Now cool your room & shut the AC off & you will hear even more improvement cause you eliminated the AC blower sound too ;-)

No discovery in this but good to see you are happy & enjoying your system now.

I enjoy listening music naturally and intact like some ambient noise like sound of fan at full speed. There is no point suffering with the fan off when listening to music. Listening music should be a blessing and not painful imo.

I enjoy listening music naturally and intact like some ambient noise like sound of fan at full speed. There is no point suffering with the fan off when listening to music. Listening music should be a blessing and not painful imo.
In my room, fan running at full speed is noisy. Lower speed would make the fan hum. I somehow prefer quiet room as I'm used to it. :)

I have noticed smaller size fan blades and low blade weight fan to be noisy. I went for larger sweep and a bit heavier blade fan to keep white noise from fan low.
Specific models please
Thanks

Lower speed would make the fan hum.
That's not normal. Something wrong somewhere. Get the fan and wiring checked.

In my room, fan running at full speed is noisy. Lower speed would make the fan hum. I somehow prefer quiet room as I'm used to it. :)
See if changing the capacitor (if old) of fan helps. usually being in close vicinity with motor heat they loose their value. and fan makes noise at full speed.

There are 3 things happening when the ac is on. All windows are closed so ambient noise is less. Air becomes denser. This affects the highs and can sound a bit thick. If the room is large, this is not noticeable though. AC can pollute the power line which can result in some changes in sound.

There are 3 things happening when the ac is on. All windows are closed so ambient noise is less. Air becomes denser. This affects the highs and can sound a bit thick. If the room is large, this is not noticeable though. AC can pollute the power line which can result in some changes in sound.

I didn’t understand the third point. Do you mean the AC power gets polluted by the AC resulting in sound changes? Does that happen even if the AC has a separate line from the main junction box with its own circuit breaker?

Anything operating in your house will pollute the power line, even if it’s on a separate circuit breaker. Your TV, Refrigerator, Microwave, Air Conditioner, LED Lights, etc. Which is why many try to isolate the power line feeding the audio equipment

Thank you Prem. Anything operating in your house will pollute the power line, even if it’s on a separate circuit breaker. Your TV, Refrigerator, Microwave, Air Conditioner, LED Lights, etc. Which is why many try to isolate the power line feeding the audio equipment

Any suggestions/links on how to isolate the power line? Does that require getting another electric meter or something simpler?

I wouldn’t bother unless you are getting some noise through your speakers. If they are playing silent, let it be. There’s no end to it. Everything you do has a plus and a minus. So if you are happy with the sound right now, just sit back and enjoy

Many fans use a rheostat speed control. That can mess up the sound. So probably change that. The three worst enemies in the living room which effect sound are rheostat speed control, light dimmer and led lights

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back