What about PHILIPS LCD TVs

well as much as i would love too,here is a guy,who admitted that he hates lcds,with all the anti sony posts.

Of course i did say i dont like sony LCD's and few other LCD's in general compared to plasma's. But does not give you the right to conclude that i hate LCD's in general since u don't even have a clue abt the electronics that i own or you don't even know me.

I do own 3 widescreen LCD monitors and 2 42" LCD tv's so i guess that does not make me a LCD hater aint it.

does hating sony LCD's mean hating LCD?

Some time back i heard / read that philips and lg had developed some panels and are being used by philips. Anyways, I bought my philips 47PF9541 w/ FullHD panel in 2007 ( one of their higher end models w/o ambilight and got it for 180k under diwali offer w/ a philips 5986 DVDP and HDMI cable, mrp of the tv was 200k). I am very much impressed with the PQ compared to others in both SD and HD. I am very much particular about the details, i can see the details very clearly even in darker scenes. The big difference i noted was that unlike philips none of the brands were (are) showing white color as white. I noticed a red shift in Sony, a slight blue/green shift in samsung (w/ all settings to normal). The shop keeper was very helpful in comparing w/ other models and brands and we checked w/ one bluray movie also from PS3. Also the next model 47PFL7422 from philips was not impressive and had some red tinting. Moreover the scaler was top notch for both SD and HD. Also the motion filter used is nowhere compared to others (the best comparable was found in Sony (on few models), dont remember the model number). The major issue i faced was that i couldnt find much reviews about this product, but what ever i could collect were given higher ratings.

47PF9541 is a very good model and ive seen it in Philips arena a couple of years ago.

I had the similar kind of experience with few Philips LCD which offered very good picture quality.

Of course i did say i dont like sony LCD's and few other LCD's in general compared to plasma's. But does not give you the right to conclude that i hate LCD's in general since u don't even have a clue abt the electronics that i own or you don't even know me.

I do own 3 widescreen LCD monitors and 2 42" LCD tv's so i guess that does not make me a LCD hater aint it.

does hating sony LCD's mean hating LCD?

well i don't have to conclude, i am sure everyone knows,

Last edited:
well i don't have to conclude, i am sure everyone knows, u say pretty clearly that "i don't like lcd". http://www.hifivision.com/television/5982-sony-zx5-edge-led-lcd.html#post73608

if you or anyone reads the thread its clearly seen that you were doing the obvious (praising sony, like in almost all your posts) .I said i don't like LCD's while stating i am satisfied with a plasma which means between LCD's and plasma's i will choose the latter.

If i hated LCD's altogether then i would not even use them.My oldest LCD tv is more than 4 years old now,making me an early adapter of the LCD tv technology.

if you or anyone reads the thread its clearly seen that you were doing the obvious (praising sony, like in almost all your posts) .I said i don't like LCD's while stating i am satisfied with a plasma which means between LCD's and plasma's i will choose the latter.

If i hated LCD's altogether then i would not even use them.My oldest LCD tv is more than 4 years old now,making me an early adapter of the LCD tv technology.

well just because some one recommends a core 2 duo or someone post news about the upcoming intel processor doesn't make him a fan.
where as u one the other hand don't post any news but rather,post anti sony.did u post anything constructive out there.
post like thisSony has never invented any break through technology or product by itself which had been a great positive help for humanity. They just called their personal music player as Walkman and marketed them well enough to damage the ears of generation of youngsters.

A big company like Sony exploiting people with their brand name and minting money and not even providing some decent hardware is whats really bothering me

Last edited:
^yes, but if one always recommends and talks abt core2 duo and Intel when other similar or much better processors are available then that makes him a fan.

great! now you changed from calling me a LCD hater to a anti sony poster.

I am singing off from this useless conversation.

^yes, but if one always recommends and talks abt core2 duo and Intel when other similar or much better processors are available then that makes him a fan.

great! now you changed from calling me a LCD hater to a anti sony poster.

I am singing off from this useless conversation.

well i have concluded in each tread that u are sony hater and a lcd hater.should i remind u again.well i posted something constructive,posting a news is one thing,posting useless stuff,is another.core2 duo isn't by any means slow in performance ,just like that the sony lcds are anywhere near bad,sure they are expensive,but they are consistently on the top.

Last edited:
Whats with the frayed tempers, guys? I am sure each of us have different and markedly separate likes and dislikes. So what? That is what makes us a diverse and knowledgeable bunch of people. If we all thought alike what are we going to discuss about?

Whats with the frayed tempers, guys? I am sure each of us have different and markedly separate likes and dislikes. So what? That is what makes us a diverse and knowledgeable bunch of people. If we all thought alike what are we going to discuss about?

well the reality is pakistan hates us,they say stuff like india itself did 26/11 and 9/11 was done by the US.
so do u even believe that.same goes here a person admitted of hating or disliking lcds,with lots of anti sony posts ,so called obervations of sony BE engine and so called observation of X450A.i mean there are lots of info,reviews outthere that say otherwise.

well the reality is pakistan hates us,they say stuff like india itself did 26/11 and 9/11 was done by the US.
so do u even believe that.same goes here a person admitted of hating or disliking lcds,with lots of anti sony posts ,so called obervations of sony BE engine and so called observation of X450A.i mean there are lots of info,reviews outthere that say otherwise.

you must be such a brilliant and brainy person to compare this useless conversation with India-Pakistan problem. Bravo:clapping:

ah, so you say that you buy stuff only based upon info and reviews but not based upon actually checking out the products.

If the your so called observation abt Sony and imaginary BE are true then why do other brand tv's sell in spite of many being more expensive than fony.

In fact in japan sharp hold more than 50% in LCD TV market share. So you think japanese people are idiots?

Last edited:

guys, please can we focus on the on topic.

Philips PFL9704 has been rewarded as best lcd for 09-10 by EISA (European Imaging and Sound Association).

here is quote from the site

"Competition in the LCD display market is tough, but Philips once again offers a masterpiece for moving pictures. With its backlight now using 224 LED segments and local dimming, the 46PFL9704H/12 will amaze viewers with the deepest blacks ever, making for an impressive picture with high contrast. Thanks to Philips Perfect Natural Motion correction system, sharpness of detail is unsurpassed even in scenes with vertical movement. Philips unique Setup Assistant makes it easy to find your favourite picture settings, and the set is well-prepared for online Internet use. Some useful websites are pre-installed, but after browsing the whole Internet, you can store favourite places as shortcut icons. With a USB connection or DLNA, you can bring your own media files to the screen from your PC, media server or memory card. Philips 46PFL9704H/12 is the most exciting entertainment centre for any home, its great picture performance complemented by Philips amazing Ambilight feature."

I think this TV looks like killer. Don't have in India.:sad: Hope they release soon , i already have dropped mail to Philips India inquiring about availability of 9664 and 9704.

You guys are right there is no 42" in 9704 only 40, 46 and 52.
9664 has 42 and 47 inch models:)

Last edited:
you must be such a brilliant and brainy person to compare this useless conversation with India-Pakistan problem. Bravo:clapping:

ah, so you say that you buy stuff only based upon info and reviews but not based upon actually checking out the products.

If the your so called observation abt Sony and imaginary BE are true then why do other brand tv's sell in spite of many being more expensive than fony.

well what happened to this "Then stop posting useless stuff" if u are so brainy.
well since u say i am a fan of sony,if u don't believe me then their are always other multiple sources that u can check out.
well why did pioneer close down and quit plasmas,sony is still in top three in sales despite the high price tag,their lcd business is still under loss,they won't make profit until next year.

In fact in japan sharp hold more than 50% in LCD TV market share. So you think japanese people are idiots
vizo has one of the largest marker share in the US,does it mean they are the best.

Last edited:
guys, please can we focus on the on topic.

Philips PFL9704 has been rewarded as best lcd for 09-10 by EISA (European Imaging and Sound Association).

"Competition in the LCD display market is tough, but Philips once again offers a masterpiece for moving pictures. With its backlight now using 224 LED segments and local dimming, the 46PFL9704H/12 will amaze viewers with the deepest blacks ever, making for an impressive picture with high contrast. Thanks to Philips Perfect Natural Motion correction system, sharpness of detail is unsurpassed even in scenes with vertical movement. Philips unique Setup Assistant makes it easy to find your favourite picture settings, and the set is well-prepared for online Internet use. Some useful websites are pre-installed, but after browsing the whole Internet, you can store favourite places as shortcut icons. With a USB connection or DLNA, you can bring your own media files to the screen from your PC, media server or memory card. Philips 46PFL9704H/12 is the most exciting entertainment centre for any home, its great picture performance complemented by Philips amazing Ambilight feature."

I think this TV looks like killer. Don't have in India.:sad: Hope they release soon , i already have dropped mail to Philips India inquiring about availability of 9664 and 9704.

You guys are right there is no 42" in 9704 only 40, 46 and 52. :)

Yes i read that it has been awarded the best LCD tv.The specs look impressive and so does the new LED back lighting array. The perfect natural motion is the algorithm that makes fast motion look very good unlike 100 hz(Philips invention in CRT) or 200hz scan and it was called the digital natural motion(1997) in their CRT times, Ive read that they are refining these technologies every time they release a new range of TV's.

I am not sure it will come to India since Philips is concentrating and expanding their medical and electrical line up in India and slowly withdrawing consumer electronics such as TV's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmn1g4RwKCM&feature=related

I will make sure to check this out the next time when i visit Singapore.

Last edited:
Yes i read that it has been awarded the best LCD tv.The specs look impressive and so does the new LED back lighting array. The perfect natural motion is the algorithm that makes fast motion look very good unlike 100 hz(Philips invention in CRT) or 200hz scan and it was called the digital natural motion(1997) in their CRT times, Ive read that they are refining these technologies every time they release a new range of TV's.

I am not sure it will come to India since Philips is concentrating and expanding their medical and electrical line up in India and slowly withdrawing consumer electronics such as TV's.

I will make sure to check this out the next time when i visit Singapore.

How much it will cost to import (extra cost excluding tv price) from other countries like UK , Singapore. I think they same power requirement (230V) as ours. Don't know about Singapore.

That's sad news. :sad: There 2009 series is top of line in performance and must have lcd for HD movie lovers

How much it will cost to import (extra cost excluding tv price) from other countries like UK , Singapore. I think they same power requirement (230V) as ours. Don't know about Singapore.

importing a tv is going to quite a lot due to high custom duties as much as 30%,also the shipping charges would be more.
u can contact ur local grey dealer if he can source it.but then again for the price u may get a better option in india.
the only other local dimming set is the X450A availabe in 46".
samsung will soon launch the luxia 8500.

@ pungan

yes it is sad. Since i visit Singapore myself and i know a guy who imports a lot of stuff from Singapore(knows how to bypass customs duty using some kinda setup) I will use that as a source in case i decide to buy something which is not available here locally.

Many would not do that since it has the risk of warranty which i have not bothered . I guess i am luckily till date that none of the products ive sourced from Singapore have gone bad.

Last edited:
@ pungan

yes it is sad. Since i visit Singapore myself and i know a guy who imports a lot of stuff from Singapore(knows how to bypass customs duty using some kinda setup) I will use that as a source in case i decide to buy something which is not available here locally.

Many would not do that since it has the risk of warranty which i have not bothered . I guess i am luckily till date that none of the products ive sourced from Singapore have gone bad.

Have you imported TV. how much more cost was for importing.
On Philips Singapore website 47" 9704 is present. what do you think importing is better?. I will be upgrading my TV in November.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back