What about Torvin

Torvin is an economical player in Chennai dealing with both electronics as well as speakers. Their speakers and subwoofers are decent - as is their outlet, which provides quite a good listening environment.

They are also dealers for Mission speakers and Yamaha electronics.

People looking for economical floorstanders can look at Torvin as an option as well.

I just phoned them and asked about the amp...They said there's an updated model i forgot the model number but it starts with TA ..... @ 29900 INR.... 600Wx2 output...can this be used @ home....

I've never listened to Torvin myself, but I know someone who assists them with their design, and he himself tells me that although it's good value, the refinement is just not there.

600w must be at 4 ohms, while the amp may not be able to support a long time 4 ohms load.
I think this amp is not cheap.

Are we talking RMS here? I doubt this amp can produce 600Wx2 RMS even at 4 Ohms, even if we do not care about refinement at all.
Do you realize what a real 600W RMS x2 amp means; and how many of them exist (think > $5K).

I agree, this amp is not cheap at 30K, you can do better at that price point. Of course, you would get a 60 to 100W per channel of listenable sound for that money.

Thanks,
Sharad

Another Indian company called Studiomaster also makes these. Saw them at the Palm expo in Mumbai recently. The price range was similar from what I can remember. These amps arent meant for home use but for large outdoor setups. Sound quality isnt their strong suite.

The subwoofer session is interesting. Can we use this at our home too?

Specification VPX12
Output Power (music) 300W
Frequency response 45Hz-18kHz
Maximum SPL 121dB
Crossover frequency 2.5kHz
LF driver 12" Cast Chassis
Compression Driver 1.75" diaphragm
Nominal despersion (horizontal) 90 degrees
Nominal despersion (vertical) 60 degrees
HIGH EQ 15dB @12.5Hz
MID EQ 12dB @2.5Hz
LOW EQ 15dB @60Hz
Width (max) 330mm(13")
Height 630mm(24.8")
Depth 410mm(16.1")

Have a look at these monsters SX Series - Lightweight Amplifier :licklips:

Linenthu, I am a bit confused as to your objectives. The Torvins and StudioMasters cannot be compared . Studio Masters are professional amplifiers used in public places such as clubs, discos, etc., to drive extremely large speakers against very high ambient noise.

Torvin does make some decent amplifiers and speakers, but the majority of his clients are restaurants, buses, DVD Shops, Music Shops and such. He caters to such requirements and his amplifiers and speakers are tuned for such environment. They will be loud and bass heavy at the expense of accuracy and musicality. Torvin's entry into the two channel 'audiophile' market has this legacy that they carry. If you listen to film music at high volume, Torvin will fit perfectly. Mind you, I have a lot of respect for Torvin and the work they do.

It will be better if you decide what you are looking for and then focus on getting that.

Cheers

Yes venkat I'm so confused .....Samson MediaOne 5a monitor is out of stock there...and she advised me to get Bose companion 3 multimedia speakers the worst thing is ... it has got a sub..as she uses the same thing...what I hate about Bose is they don't mention the power anywhere........so um what to do.... my objective is to get a High power amplifier and speakers or a powered speaker that'll match the quality of a prof stereo amplifier...

Last edited:
Yes venkat I'm so confused .....Samson MediaOne 5a monitor is out of stock there...

Go and visit Pro Musicals. He would be able to get you the Samson (active) speakers you want. It will be a little expensive as compared to buying in the US, but not by much.

Once you decide the speakers, we can look at what amplifiers you should get, if any. If you are serious about music and are on a tight budget, you can look at amplifiers from Norge, Pulz, Craftel. On a slightly higher level, you should look at amplifiers from CA, NAD, Marantz and companies such as those.

Let us take this step by step. Start doing some auditioning.

Cheers

Yes venkat I'm so confused .....Samson MediaOne 5a monitor is out of stock there...and she advised me to get Bose companion 3 multimedia speakers the worst thing is ... it has got a sub..as she uses the same thing...what I hate about Bose is they don't mention the power anywhere........so um what to do.... my objective is to get a High power amplifier and speakers or a powered speaker that'll match the quality of a prof stereo amplifier...

How Much Amplifier Power Do You Really Need? - Amplifier Power - What You Need To Know About Amplifiers and Amplification
If you get a well designed-refined amplifier which can do 150 watts per channel at 8 ohms around 50k you are a lucky man.

And avoid Bose.

How about the sw 1150, anyone has a idea on ballpark price ? This looks decent to be used in a two channel rig or ht ...

Audiodelic, Torvin charges some 20K for it's sub woofers with a power output of about 150Watts. Be aware that Torvin makes sub woofers for movie buffs and the commercial market. I found the subs to be loud and boomy.

Cheers

1) Torvin SW-3000 12" active sub woofer Rs.18500/-

2) Torvin Prostate 2 Flat Amplifier Price on Request Rs.*****/-

Torvin Prostate 2 is truely a flat amplifier. it delivers 125 watts rms in to 4 ohms load or 175 watts rms into 8 ohms load for a rated distortion of 0.01%. it is very stable and musical in all aspects for the hi-fi applications.

Specification :-

Output Power : 125 watts rms into 4 ohms load
175 watts rms into 8 ohms load

Music power : 140 watts rms into 4 ohms load
: 230 watts rms into 8 ohms load

Frequency Response : -0.3 db at 20Hz to 20KHz

Input Sensitivity : 1.37v RMS (for full power into 8 ohm)

Harmonic Distortion : <0.01% from 20Hz to 20 KHz,
typically <0.03%

Signal-to-Noise Ratio : 114db unweighted (20Hz to 20KHz)
122db A-weighted

3) Torvin ELDER-1 The Audiophile Amplifier(High current power amplifier). Rs.77512/-

Specification :-

Output Power : 200 watts rms into 8 ohms load
400 watts rms into 4 ohms load
800 watts rms into 2 ohms load

Music power : 140 watts rms into 4 ohms load
: 230 watts rms into 8 ohms load

Front panel : Soft touch Power 0n/off switch, standby indicators.

Transformer : Self shielded massive power toroidal transformer.

Features : very low distortion, improved damping factor and audiophile series.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back