What are the acoustic pros and cons of down firing versus forward firing subwoofers?

SernityVare

All,

What are the acoustic pros and cons of down firing Vs front firing sub woofers? if so which sub's model are best ?

I would be using it for 50% music & 50% Movies. My budget is 20K .
My AVR supports 110 watts at 6 Ohms per channel.

- Shree

Re: What are the acoustic pros and cons of down firing versus forward firing subwoofe

Read here for some useful information on speaker components from Fostex - one of the better driver brands.

The advantage of down firing is that the distance between the driver and the floor is fixed. This gives the speaker more control on what the sound will be versus when front firing (or bass reflex) designs have to deal with different room dimensions/furniture arrangements etc.

Re: What are the acoustic pros and cons of down firing versus forward firing subwoofe

All,

What are the acoustic pros and cons of down firing Vs front firing sub woofers? if so which sub's model are best ?

I would be using it for 50% music & 50% Movies. My budget is 20K .
My AVR supports 110 watts at 6 Ohms per channel.

- Shree

to a larage extent it depends on your flooring.. else it is not supposed to make much of a difference dur ot true low bass being non directional. if you have a carpeted floor etc a front firing might be preferred while with ceramic/hard floor downfiring works just as ok.

I have used my sub in both modes and to be honest have not really found a difference.

From a Non Sonic perpective., If you have little kids in the house then down firing may be safer as a subalways being on the ground has a greater risk of being on the wrong end of a shapr pencil!

One dealer also told me that if you live in an apartment, people below you are more likely to have problems with a down firing one...
Dont know how true this is.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back