What are the legal issues related to torrents.

hi..........its funny.............god has given torrents enjoy them.........i am least bothered and download lots of audiophile and movies stuff.....

thank you god

Put yourself in the producer/investor's shoes mate. Let us say you, reddymail produced a movie -"Ecstacy in Piracy" after spending 10 Crore INR in movie, promos etc. The movie is very good, theaters are running full during the first week. By second week, a pirated copy with decent PQ and SQ is released illegally and available for download or movie rental shops, theaters are now half full as not everyone is worried about PQ and SQ. Within 3 weeks, an upscaled HD rip is available for free download. By now, there are only 10 people per show running in all theaters over the country and theaters no longer see any monetary benefit in running your movie. In the meanwhile, some popular online website announces that your movie "Ecstacy in Piracy" is "The most downloaded video ever". Will you still be happy and thank god?

Many of us including yours truly are guilty of this and hope to reduce and someday soon stop watching pirated movies completely. But, atleast don't say with careless attitude on a public forum "I am least bothered.....I download....".

I am sure he will understand your point of view and will feel sorry for the writing.

V.

But, atleast don't say with careless attitude on a public forum "I am least bothered.....I download....".

Last edited:
Many of us including yours truly are guilty of this and hope to reduce and someday soon stop watching pirated movies completely. But, atleast don't say with careless attitude on a public forum "I am least bothered.....I download....".

Well I agree with you, but atleast he had the guts to say whatever he felt, I am sure quite a few of us would be having the same feeling but would dare not to say anything, atleast not on a public forum.......:) . I despise people like these more rather than who atleast have the guts to admit (right or wrong)

Well I agree with you, but atleast he had the guts to say whatever he felt, I am sure quite a few of us would be having the same feeling but would dare not to say anything, atleast not on a public forum.......:) . I despise people like these more rather than who atleast have the guts to admit (right or wrong)
Sam, like I mentioned many of us are guilty of this and I agree with what you are saying. Being upfront/admitting on a public forum is one thing, but a "I don't care about Piracy" attitude is something else and should not spread. The Movie and the Music industry depends on purchases by us AV enthusiasts, so it is important that we don't let it die or deteriorate. From my story in my previous post, if reddymail was a talented moviemaker, we are all at loss as he will never produce a movie again after being immersed neckdeep in debts from his first attempt:).

Piracy isn't entirely a bad thing. There's a good side to it too.

See, despite rampant piracy, movies nowadays gross in 100s of crores. The public still have respect for well-made movies and they usually watch these at least once in theatres. The only movies affected by piracy are the really crappy ones which no one would watch in theatres if there were no pirated DVDs. Piracy in a way helps cleaning up the tens of new directors and producers who mushroom around the industry hoping to make quick profit with sub-standard movies.

And just to give you an idea, a thumb rule in the film industry is that a normal budget movie needs to run well for 25 days to break even.

Sam, like I mentioned many of us are guilty of this and I agree with what you are saying. Being upfront/admitting on a public forum is one thing, but a "I don't care about Piracy" attitude is something else and should not spread. The Movie and the Music industry depends on purchases by us AV enthusiasts, so it is important that we don't let it die or deteriorate. From my story in my previous post, if reddymail was a talented moviemaker, we are all at loss as he will never produce a movie again after being immersed neckdeep in debts from his first attempt:).

I was about to say something like vramak but he said it all pretty nicely .... There are always two sides of the coin .... :)

See, despite rampant piracy, movies nowadays gross in 100s of crores. The public still have respect for well-made movies and they usually watch these at least once in theatres. The only movies affected by piracy are the really crappy ones which no one would watch in theatres if there were no pirated DVDs. Piracy in a way helps cleaning up the tens of new directors and producers who mushroom around the industry hoping to make quick profit with sub-standard movies.

And just to give you an idea, a thumb rule in the film industry is that a normal budget movie needs to run well for 25 days to break even.
Also probably due to piracy even the prices of the originals come down and become affordable to poor people like us.:clapping:
Disclaimer : I've stopped buying pirated DVD's long time back. Blu-rays are the way to go and that too the originals. But still not clean as the net has become a very good friend lately. But a collector's movie is a collector's movie and that has to be in Blu-ray.:clapping:

Also probably due to piracy even the prices of the originals come down and become affordable to poor people like us.:clapping:
Disclaimer : I've stopped buying pirated DVD's long time back. Blu-rays are the way to go and that too the originals. But still not clean as the net has become a very good friend lately. But a collector's movie is a collector's movie and that has to be in Blu-ray.:clapping:

Pirated Buying for me also stopped ages ago, specially after a BRp, whats the point of buying a BRp, if you would'nt buy BRs :D ....... but yes downloading still continues :D specialy of rare material which is hard to find on shelves ..... :)

Guys,
As for as pirated materials are concerned people download it more out of necessity than it being a sly and imoral option to them.

My friends in the cities, when a movie debuts, they go to the theatres to watch it. In a small town like mine no movies release.

Some movies are first watched as cam prints. but if the movie is good, a large chunk of people go back to the theatres and watch it.

Thired there are these group of people who are just lazy or not interested to go to theatres. If no pirated content was available, they would happily go about their lives without watching that movie forever. Pirated content is a convenience for them and these form the huge chunk that watch pirated content. So the moviemakers are not gonna lose any revenue from this group.Case in point a large no. of my own aquaintances.

The real movie lover always goes to the theatre, to experience the fever of a release. The college student with his friends prefers the theatre. Everybody accepts that the big productions are best seen on theatre. it is only the substandard movies that suffer from piracy woes. like someone said that is a method of filteration. Anyway their budgets are low and so they have not much to lose.

Last edited:

Precisely. I would never watch a cam rip or a Screener of a supposedly good movie.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back