What Bookshelf to buy?

kanna.sridharan

My journey into the hifi-audio, began 7 years back with an AVR+Bookshelf+sub, then completed the center & surrounds.

3 years back, I decided to go the dedicated stereo route and got myself an Arcam irDac, Naim Nait-5i-2 and the B&W683. Enjoyed them every bit when I had a 400 sq.ft. hall, then I had to shift to another house which had only a 200sqft hall. Decided to sell it back then, after installing the speakers, it sounded good enough with more bass, but sometimes it tended to get boomy, hence retained them

At present shifted to another state, so didn't want to carry the speaker along, sold them a week agp. I've retained the Amp & DAC at present, thinking of getting myself a good bookshelf which would pair well with my amp. Or thinking of another option of letting go the amp & dac and settle in for a pair of Active speakers with inbuilt DAC, similar to the KEF LS50 wireless.

Would be using it for music and occasional movie time, will be placed in the living room. I generally give emphasis for good bass, that was the main reason I went for a floor stander, but have learnt in my experience that a floor stander just alone won't give you bass, the room, the placement, what's inbetween them really matters. When you consider all the above and place your speakers, they would have come up almost 2-3 ft from the wall and into the hall and then it gets really hard to convince your better half to justify the speaker positioning, which she will end up denying it, back to square one. I need a good bookshelf which would go well with my existing gear.

So would need your suggestions on what to audition and if I could find them preferably in Chennai it would be great or maybe Bangalore, but that would be my last option. Will be carrying the amp & DAC along wherever I audition. Please let me know what to look for. My budget is set at 75K - max 1L. Stands option will look into later.

Thanks & Regards,
Kannan

I will not recommend speakers as it is highly subjective.

At your budget you have quite a few options to look out for in Chennai as there are quite a few showrooms.
Best is to spend a couple of days, carry you amp/dac and your music for auditioning.

The showrooms include Decibels, Cinema Focus, AV Lounge, Volumate, Audio People, Crissida AV Zone, Cinebels (Jamo), Torvin, Grand Cinema, Home Theater Solutions, Onkyo, Yamaha, Vipul Audio.
I might have missed out a few more.

You can listen to quite a high number of brands, though not all models.

Some that you can find in these showrooms include Wharfadale, Dali, Elac, Spendor, Tannoy, Monitor Audio, Q Acoustics, Magnat, B&W, Davone, Revel, Sonodyne, Torvin, JBL, Onkyo, Yamaha, EA (Edwards Audio), Jamo, Xavion to name a few.

Some of these maybe nowhere near your budget, but worth listening to for both experience and comparison.

I would suggest you do all these in a continuous few days, as music memory can be very short. Take notes of what you like about a speaker and what you consider it as its weak point.

After you short list, do another round, this time restricting to the selection and spend a longer session of listening to each before finalizing.

Happy hunting.

Has anyone auditioned the PROAC Tablette Anniversay speakers? if so, please let me know with what gear you had them paired.

I recently had a good day of auditioning some bookshelves

1. Xavian - Bonbonos, Joy
2. Dynaudio Emit M10
3. ATC SCM11
4. Proac Tablette Anniversay Edition.

carried my amp & dac along for every audition and played almost the same songs. I was totally floored with the way the Proac's sounded. Its size and design, really mislead me into thinking its not worth it. The minute I had my playlist singing, I could never believe a bookshelf could play so low and the stage and imaging were the best I heard in that whole day. The audition room was the best too, so that could be a factor also, but where my amp was struggling to make the ATC sing which I was strongly considering to buy, as it was the best of the day till that point. There was another gentleman with me in the audition room, probably their regular customer, he never mentioned anything while I was auditioning the ATC's, but when he saw me grinning at the way the Proac's played, that was when he broke the silence and said these speakers are performing really well with the NAIM and he also mentioned the ATC's would be in a different level altogether if paired with a higher powered amp.

At the end of the day, the confusion had begun whether to pick up a speaker which was within my budget and a good enough option the Dynaudio Emit M20, heard only the M10 -they excite you in every way and it seems to be a very good buy at their price point. Or whether to get what your heart wants - after a lot of discussion with my better half, she asked me to wait, save a little more and get what I feel is the best.

The wait has begun, can't wait to save and get the Proac's, its pretty expensive, hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on one by this year end.

Thank you

Hi kanna...

You took the right decision. One look at my signature and you will find different pairings all doing the same thing:confused:

Could never hold back my enthusiasm. But now I realise how important it is to buy once and buy it right. And maybe if you are Lucky, you might just find the proac come up on the 'for sale by Owner' thread in immaculate condition. All the best, and fondly hope you don't have to wait too long.

Well, things didn't go as planned. Unexpected expenses and other plans in mind, my dream for Proac will have to wait until my next upgrade, hopefully soon.
As of now ordered for the Emit M20, did try to source the M10, seems to be unavailable everywhere I enquired. Will take around 3 weeks to get everything installed as the amp, DAC and computer are in my hometown, will be getting them after Dusshera. Will update once complete.

Thank you

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hi Kannan , if you are looking at active speakers pls do try and audition the Kii3's. I heard them at the mumbai what hifi show and they left me spell bound.
Cheers!
Anand Iyer

STEREO: Transrotor zet 1 TT, Transrotor 8.2 MC reference phono stage, Ortofon rondo red cartridge,MSB Platinum iv DAC, MSB data CD Transport , mola mola Kaluga power amplifiers, Transparent audio Ultra cables and interconnects, Transparent audio premium USB cable , Synology D 415 play 12 TB RAID NAS drive ,Mac book air with Roon, Joseph Audio Perspectives Floor standers , Stillpoints Aperture Acoustic panels, Blue jeans CAT6a cables. Transparent audio Reference power cords , Transparent audio MM2 power isolators .

Thanks for the suggestions, as of now I've settled down with the Emit M20, should be receiving them in a day or two

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. Price please.

I dont recall what they were priced at . You can however contact the dealer Mr. Jignesh on 9825133320.

Cheers!
Anand
STEREO: Transrotor zet 1 TT, Transrotor 8.2 MC reference phono stage, Ortofon rondo red cartridge, MSB Platinum iv DAC, MSB DATA TRANSPORT iv CD transport, mola mola Kaluga power amplifiers, Transparent audio Ultra cables and interconnects, Transparent audio premium USB cable, Transparent audio Reference Power cables Synology D 415 play 12 TB RAID NAS drive, Mac book air with Roon, Joseph Audio Perspectives Floor standers, Stillpoints Aperture Acoustic panels, Stillpoints Ultra mini isolators, Blue jeans CAT6a cables. Transparent Audio Power isolators MM2.

HT1: Optoma HD 82 projector, I box media player, Synology D 415 play 12 TB RAID NAS drive, Anthem MRX 500 AV receiver, B & W center & DALI surrounds, REL T5 subwoofer.

HT2: Panasonic 42' Plasma, Monitor audio Radius R250 center and front speakers, Radius R90 surrounds and radius R360 subwoofer. Dune media player and pioneer BDP 140 blu ray player.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back