What could be wrong ?

vinod_david

Banned
Banned
Hi:

Connected my set-top box via RCA cables (supplied) to my Panasonic 42" PV8 in AV4 socket (front), and all i could hear is a loud humming noise and some waves coming from top of screen to bottom nonstop, and no picture.

But, when I connect the same STB with same cable to my other 21" CRT, everything is perfect.

What's going on. Any help ?

Hi,

Check the settings of the TV for Interlaced and progressive scanning, this might be the cause for the same.

Thanks

Hi Vinod,

Just noticed that you are using a Panasonic plasma tv. I am considering buying the same model.
Have you wall mounted it? Did you face any burn-in issue? Any other issues?
What is your overall feedback on this?

Regds,
Manoj

Hi Vinod,

Just noticed that you are using a Panasonic plasma tv. I am considering buying the same model.

Regds,
Manoj

Hi:

Yeah indeed I have Panasonic 42" PV8 wall mounted. I had bought this TV after extensive research too. Excellent TV with stunning standard definition pictures, the best available in market for standard definition viewing IMO. SD pictures have sharp edges, no blurring at all, even if you stand close to the TV. Colors are rich and a joy to watch. DVD is just awesome too, i use a cheap Sony dvd player and cheap rca cables, remember. No TV can come even close to beat PV8 for SD, IMO. Sound is excellent with good bass and treble, and they indeed go loud.

If you want still more assurance, you can visit my place for TV demo with STB connected. Which shop did u see demo, and from where you're planning to get them, and price ?

No issues that you mentioned, except this problem with my STB, my thread title.

PS - Please demo Samsung 42" 410 and 450 plasma models, I liked them too, and so would you.:)

Hi Vinod,

Regds,
Manoj

I have the same model. Havent faced this issue. I havent used the front ports though. If you are careful with the set (dont go high on contrast brightness colors etc) for the first 150-200 hrs of use, you wont face any burn in problem. Try not to leave static images on the screen for long time, e.g. computer screen, paused dvd etc. Pretty good tv. no issues so far, been only 2 months though.

Connected my set-top box via RCA cables (supplied) to my Panasonic 42" PV8 in AV4 socket (front), and all i could hear is a loud humming noise and some waves coming from top of screen to bottom nonstop, and no picture.

But, when I connect the same STB with same cable to my other 21" CRT, everything is perfect.

Vinod:

This looks as if you are connecting a 'Out' of one type to an 'In' of another type. What I mean is component and composite.

If the TV manual says AV4, it may most probably be a 'Component In'. Are you sure the STB has 'Component Out' and you have chosen that?

Please read the manual and find out the connection type for the front connection. If not, use a DVD player and and try both Component and Composite. This way you will know what is the connection type. Then if you choose the appropriate type for the STB, I am sure it will work.

Cheers

Vinod:

This looks as if you are connecting a 'Out' of one type to an 'In' of another type. What I mean is component and composite.

If the TV manual says AV4, it may most probably be a 'Component In'. Are you sure the STB has 'Component Out' and you have chosen that?

Please read the manual and find out the connection type for the front connection. If not, use a DVD player and and try both Component and Composite. This way you will know what is the connection type. Then if you choose the appropriate type for the STB, I am sure it will work.

Cheers

Venkat:

I checked manual, AV4, indeed is for composite. AV1 and AV2 are only component in my TV. So, when I connected DVD through RCA cables to AV4, it works perfect, no running lines and humming noise. But, when I connect the STB through the same RCA cables to AV4, I get these running lines and humming noise along with picture.

I was able to crack what the problem is two days back, it's a notorious problem that's quite common it seems, called as 'ground loop'. The thing that's driving me mad for the past four days is no body from Panasonic service/cable operators/electrician is able to stop the lines and humming noise, let alone they know what the problem is! I went to Richie Street and madly went from shop to shop telling my problem, in a hope they would at least understand, they don't even have a clue what am talking about, damn.

Finally reached the MX shop down the road and told my problem, they gave me something called as 'power stopper' a small device to fit to the cable feed of STB, got it for 50 rupees, came come and connected it, it never solved the issue, i got same running lines and humm even after connecting it.

I just don't know what to do, am really counting on two forums here to solve this issue for me as well as for future generations.

Please help somebody.

Hi:

It's indeed strange that this problem only happend to me here in this forum among 37+ inch TV size users. Nobody seems to agree that they too have the problem here. Yeah, am searching the net extensively for this.

Please did anyone experience the same problem? share your experience and how you solved it, please.

Venkat - am counting on you so much to come out with some solution for me here, please.

Thank you all.

Hi:

It's indeed strange that this problem only happend to me here in this forum among 37+ inch TV size users. Nobody seems to agree that they too have the problem here. Yeah, am searching the net extensively for this.

Please did anyone experience the same problem? share your experience and how you solved it, please.

Venkat - am counting on you so much to come out with some solution for me here, please.

Thank you all.

Vinod,

I had this problem when I connected my PC to the AVR so that I could play music via the HT. I never tried fixing it myself and instead invested in a Creative Speaker system for the PC to play the music. I have been reading up on it though and for starters you could go through these links...

Ground Loops - Eliminating System Hum and Buzz — Reviews and News from Audioholics

Thinking in Isolation A Primer on Ground Loops — Reviews and News from Audioholics

Vinod,

I had this problem when I connected my PC to the AVR so that I could play music via the HT. I never tried fixing it myself and instead invested in a Creative Speaker system for the PC to play the music. I have been reading up on it though and for starters you could go through these links...

Ground Loops - Eliminating System Hum and Buzz — Reviews and News from Audioholics

Thinking in Isolation A Primer on Ground Loops — Reviews and News from Audioholics

Thanks very much indeed. I read it too. But where those kind of ground loop isolators available in India?

Last edited:
Hi vinod_david,
I too have PV8 along with Tata sky stb.
In this TV, AV1 & AV2 are for both Component as well as Composite.
So connect to AV1 or 2 and see whether the problem still persists.
Secondly, ensure that the input on AV4 is either PAL or Auto, and not anything else. Also check that the composite Video pin is properly fitting in the TV socket.

Hi vinod_david,
I too have PV8 along with Tata sky stb.
In this TV, AV1 & AV2 are for both Component as well as Composite.
So connect to AV1 or 2 and see whether the problem still persists.
Secondly, ensure that the input on AV4 is either PAL or Auto, and not anything else. Also check that the composite Video pin is properly fitting in the TV socket.

Hi:

So where have you connected the STB to your TV ? I selected Auto in both TV and STB when connected in AV4. Yeah its tightly fit.

Glad you're not suffering from hum and lines. It's terrible.

Thanks very much indeed. I read it too. But where those kind of ground loop isolators available in India?

I did check around, but could not locate in my city and I even thought of ordering online. Finally, the Creatives seemed a better solution so just did not bother with them anymore. Thankfully, I am not getting the hum with any other device as of now. I will check with a few tech friends about a solution for this problem and will keep you posted if I come up with anything.

I did check around, but could not locate in my city and I even thought of ordering online. Finally, the Creatives seemed a better solution so just did not bother with them anymore. Thankfully, I am not getting the hum with any other device as of now. I will check with a few tech friends about a solution for this problem and will keep you posted if I come up with anything.

Hi:

Thanks very much indeed. I just returned after 1 hour of tampering with putting RCA's in and out of every possible out in TV. Damn thing it never stops ' hum and lines'.

Please help.

Hi,

I got the set top box connected(RCA cables) to the Panasonic PV8. I'm facing the same problem as Vinod is facing, that is the waves coming from top to bottom, but not facing any issues with the sound. The cable guy told me that he faced this problem with another customer and it got solved after putting a three pin line for the set-top box. He told he will be rectifying today.

I'm not facing problem when I connect to the DVD player or if I directly connect to the cable(without STB).

Vinod are you still facing the same problem or is it solved?

I connected the plasma using a socket without grounding. It fixed the hum bar which scrolls from top to bottom of the screen. ( the problem seems to be due to the ground loop)
I know it is temporary fix, I need to find a permanent fix for this. I searched the net, many have recommended to go for a ground loop isolation transformer.
Where can we get this kind of device in bangalore? Or any other solutions apart from checking the grounding of the entire system at my home?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back