What do you guys who live in a flat do to escape from adjacent flat owners ? How do you contain the sound ?

dr.arun

With all the HiFi setups , how do everyone manage to keep the sound to yourselves, especially in flats ?

In my case there are no sharing walls . Only 1.5 wall is facing outside and that too into atmosphere . . How well do sound / bass pass across concrete ? Will this create any issue with inmates above and below ? There is a thick carpet on the floor .
Any advises would be helpful .

This is a great topic to discuss upon, specially people having close neighbours and not just limited to apartments. Some people stay in row houses or bungalows share walls together too.

Best way is to know how loud volumes can get at your neighbours place, specially low frequency, the high frequencies will rarely travel.
People who have AVRs in that can be controlled by WiFi or phone can try this:
Speak with your neighbour asking him for a test of sound to see how much sound can penetrate and not cause a problem to them.
1) play a test track with good bass.
2) start increasing the volume to the level you normally listen to while you are at neighbours house.
3) Check does the sound penetrate, now increase volume 5db further, to see how much of sound can actually be a problem.

2 songs I test always are - I wanna love you by Akon and Dark horse by Katy Perry.

I have slightly treated my room, keeping sound absorbing materials behind the speakers. But this will only reduce low frequency travel and not eliminate it.

Lower frequencies (under 100 Hz) will easily travel through walls and concrete.
Subs are especially notorious.

Play at moderate volume and make friends with neighbors ;)
Invite them for a movie or beer once in a while.

Cheers,
Raghu
Luckily for me, all neighbours within the 3050i's firing radius have always been appreciative of the music played. On a few occasions I've even spotted them through the peephole camping outside my front door enjoying the music lol

This is a great topic to discuss upon, specially people having close neighbours and not just limited to apartments. Some people stay in row houses or bungalows share walls together too.

Best way is to know how loud volumes can get at your neighbours place, specially low frequency, the high frequencies will rarely travel.
People who have AVRs in that can be controlled by WiFi or phone can try this:
Speak with your neighbour asking him for a test of sound to see how much sound can penetrate and not cause a problem to them.
1) play a test track with good bass.
2) start increasing the volume to the level you normally listen to while you are at neighbours house.
3) Check does the sound penetrate, now increase volume 5db further, to see how much of sound can actually be a problem.

2 songs I test always are - I wanna love you by Akon and Dark horse by Katy Perry.

I have slightly treated my room, keeping sound absorbing materials behind the speakers. But this will only reduce low frequency travel and not eliminate it.
What material have you used for putting behind the speaker/subwoofer?

I am also in similar situation. Would like to learn some practical solutions . Doing full treatment is not possible for me as I have setup in living room.

With all the HiFi setups , how do everyone manage to keep the sound to yourselves, especially in flats ?

In my case there are no sharing walls . Only 1.5 wall is facing outside and that too into atmosphere . . How well do sound / bass pass across concrete ? Will this create any issue with inmates above and below ? There is a thick carpet on the floor .
Any advises would be helpful .

I live in south mumbai and more or less clustered bldgs all around with sharing walls between 2 flats etc. What worked for me is that all know I am a music buff and also a former DJ. Have been playing music since school times and got all the area folks used to my behaviour. I start with slow / instrumental music in the mornings post 9am or so at low volumes then gradually change the tone (increase the BPM ) as time flies to 11am but then once again tone down post 2pm or so with adjustments to volumes.

Evenings post 4pm same behaviour till 10pm or so and then tone down. I usually go on till midnight or even till 2am (if there is some occasion).

Most imp is to play all kinds of music and if possible in different languages (if you like them too) which then gets the best positive attention and support from neighbours. This helps in relationship building and you then standout positively in the area. Once or twice host a nice musical night pound party where possible and of course be good to your neighbours as they will stand with you in times of need! I use Spotify a lot.

Latest AVRs with Audyssey Multi EQ XT 32 have subwoofer setup with Containment function and it really works. Tested! My place is not specially treated to contain any sound etc. It works well. I use a SVS sub which can really give nasty (in a postive way) powerful punches for action / thriller movies. Containment levels are 1 till 7. I kept the same at 2/3 and use the containment function almost throughout the day.

What material have you used for putting behind the speaker/subwoofer?
Used Gym floor mats from Amazon beneath my subwoofer. Check this thread out for other sound treatment materials.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back