What happens to sound inside us

Analogous

I came across this well made animation that explains what happens to sound waves once they enter our ears.

What happens outside (source, conversion, amplification, cables, speakers, rooms and a thousand other details) our heads are extensively discussed in audio forums.

The fascinating world of what happens inside us is less discussed. Tweaks are also less easy/possible inside our skulls.

Have a look and marvel at the complexity and wonderful evolution that makes our hobby/passion possible.

Addendum:
A friend of mine points out tweaks are possible inside our brains too.
Mood enhancement/alteration can be done in a variety of ways. Though the reverse is probably more common: good quality, preferred music enhances mood.
Context matters. A lot.
And dare I open a can of worms.....how about psycho-acoustics.
Trying to find a YouTube video that explains all this too.

D

Deleted member 15865

One of the things I noticed (in the video) was the similarity in shape between the cochlea (where the sound sensing seems to happen) and a horn!

Analogous

One of the things I noticed (in the video) was the similarity in shape between the cochlea (where the sound sensing seems to happen) and a horn!
Or a type of seashell :)

Here are a couple of links if you would like to delve more into the cochlear mysteries.

and (spoiler: This is a bit more technical)

Last edited:

shibashis

You could always subject yourself to some acoustic 'treatment' with various liquids in moderate amounts.

Perfect for audiophiles wanting both excellent music quality and flexible operation.