What Hi-fi (India)

Hello !

Auditioning hi-end gear and writing reveiws is something like a dream job !!

To get the right support equipment and room treatment, one needs a dedicated space, so I suppose the "Works only for Bombay" may be true in this case unless What Hi-Fi sets up regional listening rooms!!

Here in Delhi, there are good 'Private' set-ups that need auditioning and I am sure the owners would love to flaunt their stuff. After all, spending lakhs on a high end system is NOT about only listening to music. Ego's need satisfaction too.

I do installations and callibrations and come accross many people who have tons of money, but two left ears !

Maybe Nishant would like to include a section on HT Set ups, something like 'ModernHomeTHeatre.com'

Cheers !
Lalit

i recently got hold of the magazine but I think it is patheticly outdated. For example, I looked at the price list, and denon avrs listed are those from 2 generations back.
I prefer hifivision much more than any AV print magazine now.

regards

yeah, what hi fi india is a ridiculously lazily produced Indian edition. There is so much potential, and all of it is wasted.

i recently got hold of the magazine but I think it is patheticly outdated. For example, I looked at the price list, and denon avrs listed are those from 2 generations back.
I prefer hifivision much more than any AV print magazine now.

regards

Hi,

Guys please look at the date :p!!

Its over a year ! I too carried away and did the mistake of posting but was last year (that itself was outdated ) !

So I see no point in posting in this thread as the person referred here has least bit of interest in the forum or the comments from the forum members !

Regards.

Last edited:
Hi,

Auditioning hi-end gear and writing reviews is something like a dream job !!

Ideally yes, but the ground realities are quite different.
Most of the articles are about the latest models, and intended for helping the audio companies position them in the market. These are mostly accompanied by a matching advertisement by the company in the same issue.

AVMax had some good reprints from HiFi-Choice UK, but that relationship was discontinued a few months back.

I remember one reader requesting AVMax (letter to the editor) to comment on the company's claims on the specs about the products being reviewed. The reply was clear, the Indian industry has still not matured enough for them to attempt such a thing. You can derive your own conclusions.

The price list is totally useless in both these mags, as the products are old, the price is wrong, and the specs are not listing the right stuff. Look at the April 2009 WHF for instance. The AVR specs are still tracking the analog Dolby Prologic instead of the HD formats. The DVD specs list one particular column twice!

Unfortunately, I have subscriptions for AVMax as well as WHF due to lack of options.

Thanks,
Sharad

To add to that the price of WHF is being going up on a steady curve, even though not much change or drastic improvement in content

Add to that, ever seen their advice on what equipment to buy for low, mid and high end. That list has not changed for the last year or maybe a couple of years.
And then the high end HT has a 5K Samsung DVD player which is lesser than the DVD player recommended for a min-end HT system.

Just shows that the pages have not even been re-reviewed by them for months together.

OT: this thread is becoming a discussion on WHF and I am one of the culprits :)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back