What is the best 50" TV to buy ?

wildseid

Hi there,

I want a 50" (New Delhi)... what is the bext TV to buy if cost were not an issue?

Is a Full HD Plasma better than an LCD?

Some TVs I was looking at - Panasonic Viera, Pioneer Kuro, Sony LCD, Samsung LCD

thank you!

consider the Full HD 50" plasma from Samsung, that's probably the best value in the 50" category these days. At 50" you do need Full HD, and the Panasonic is some 30k or so more expensive. THe best price I heard for this Samsung is 1.25 lakhs, which is a good deal.

Hi there,

I want a 50" (New Delhi)... what is the bext TV to buy if cost were not an issue?

Some TVs I was looking at - Panasonic Viera, Pioneer Kuro, Sony LCD, Samsung LCD

thank you!

well the panasonic plasma FHD models cost about 1.6lakh +,u can for the lcds too but most of them are close to or double the price of plasmas.

Hi there,

If cost is not an issue> There is only one flat panel to go for: Pioneer Kuro

It beats the hell out of other TV's. Pair it with hi-end pioneer BD player and you shall have a hard-to-beat setup.

Sumit

If price is no bar then Sony has a 55-inch LCD, cost was 3.5 lacs and above. Other good options are Pioneer Kuro (no idea how much it costs), but its a TV I've been watching regularly of late and Blu-Ray content on it just rocks. Panasonic too has a 50-inch Full HD model in its Plasma range.

If you are price conscious then you can check out Samsung and LG too, but I'm not too sure about their 50" models.

Hi there,

thank you!

where are u watching it regularly, just curious?

My brother has it along with a Panasonic Blu-Ray player. Ordering Blu-Ray discs from Amazon, but most are with Dolby Digital and not even DTS, don't know when HD Audio will be common. PQ is another story altogether. You just cannot watch SD content once you've had a taste of HD, the difference is like heaven and earth. Just breathtakingly divine. You can see the fine hairs on the actors and actresses, skin pores are visible, its that clear.

another Pioneer recommendation. there is no match for Pioneer Kuro's picture quality, IMO.

for your second question, for PQ, plasma is better than LCD, IMO.

My brother has it along with a Panasonic Blu-Ray player. Ordering Blu-Ray discs from Amazon, but most are with Dolby Digital and not even DTS, don't know when HD Audio will be common. PQ is another story altogether. You just cannot watch SD content once you've had a taste of HD, the difference is like heaven and earth. Just breathtakingly divine. You can see the fine hairs on the actors and actresses, skin pores are visible, its that clear.

Yes, AC3/DTS ratio in my collection 500+ HD movies maybe 60:40.

Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD are very rare. This is the main reason that I didn't opt for an expensive AVR, which process HDMI audio, when I had got my 5105, about six months back:) It needs sometime before I can buy:)

Till then I will enjoy HD audio with MLP & DSD:) Thanks to Pio 610.

Last edited:
u must go to Panasonic-TH-50PY850.It is truly amazing and value for money product since it is priced very well less than 2 lacs.Panasonic is very reputed company in plasma tv.:):):):)

In fact I was reading somewhere that DTS, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio are still optional. Only Dolby Digital is a must on all DVDs so who knows when we will get them. I mean we still don't get DTS in all DVDs so who is going to bother about HD Audio.

Yes, AC3/DTS ratio in my collection 500+ HD movies maybe 60:40.

Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD are very rare. This is the main reason that I didn't opt for an expensive AVR, which process HDMI audio, when I had got my 5105, about six months back:) It needs sometime before I can buy:)

Till then I will enjoy HD audio with MLP & DSD:) Thanks to Pio 610.

After you are done checking out all the listings of television models I suggest you take a look at Philips PFL5403/98. Its my personal opinion; I doubt if there is anything out there that can beat this Philips.

Thanks for the replies! I mostly use the TV for (in order of priority) -

Xbox 360
Sports channels w/ Tata Sky
DVDs

Does anyone know where one can buy a Pioneer Kuro in Delhi??

thanks!

Last edited:
After you are done checking out all the listings of television models I suggest you take a look at Philips PFL5403/98. Its my personal opinion; I doubt if there is anything out there that can beat this Philips.

there are plenty of other tvs that can beat it.

there are plenty of other tvs that can beat it.

On paper I do agree with you. But I remember auditioning LCD TVs around 2-3 years ago and even then I and my fiance (now wife) thought the Philips was the best. Don't know what it is but there is something with the Philips and its pixel plus technology that makes images appear more natural and lifelike when compared to the others. Even now after the Sony, Philips is my next choice along with Hitachi/Toshiba among LCDs.

I recently shortlisted 1) the Pioneer plasma and 2) LG Scarlet series LCD as the best two options for 50" TVs after seeing a number of demos. Make sure they are 1080P HD version, and check the contrast ratios - the higher the better. You can then select whichever fits into your budget, for cheaper options look at slightly older Sony series being discounted. But it must be 1080P dont buy a different spec.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back