what is the best 'cover' version that you heard??

moktan

my apologies if such a thread already exists...but i meant this to share and showcase some of the covers that we have enjoyed (perhaps even more than the originals)...

i would like to begin by mentioning just two..

Jimi Hendrix's cover of Dylan's "All along the watchtower"...love the wailing guitar that opens the song....and

Brian Ferry's(of Roxy Music) version of Lennon's 'Jealous Guy'..i just thought Ferry was more intense...

Last edited:
Brian Ferry is intense yes ... I heard one song of his over and over during my childhood

YouTube - Bryan Ferry - This Is Tomorrow

sounded Xtraordianrily good on a TT :)

sorry to post OT, but you just revived memories of the garrard sound I heard decades back and its as invigorating as the aroma of fresh coffee :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Cocaine - Eric Clapton (original - JJ Cale). However, I feel that Clapton's version is only as good as the original by Cale, not better !!

Red Red Wine - UB 40 (original - Neil Diamond). Dont like UB40 at all and I love Neil Diamond. But somehow I like the cover of this song better than the original.

Cocaine - Eric Clapton (original - JJ Cale). However, I feel that Clapton's version is only as good as the original by Cale, not better !!

Red Red Wine - UB 40 (original - Neil Diamond). Dont like UB40 at all and I love Neil Diamond. But somehow I like the cover of this song better than the original.

A lot of JJ Cale numbers were better than the Clapton versions. :)
He was unique with the Bluesbreakers and Cream but after sounds only like an imitator of JJ Cale in the latter half of his career.

Cheers

Eva Cassidy "What a Wonderful World", of a brilliant original, a very different interpretation.

Nils Lofgren "Man at the top"

Dave Matthews "Imagine"

Rod Stewart "The first cut is the deepest"

CCR "Good Golly miss Molly" and "I heard it on the Grapevine"

I love the CCR numbers too yeah :)

GUNS N' ROSES cover of Bob Dylan's original 'Knocking On Heaven's Door'

But last few lines were different in GNR cover version

"You just better start sniffin' your own
rank subjugation jack 'cause it's just you
against your tattered libido, the bank and
the mortician, forever man and it wouldn't
be luck if you could get out of life alive"*
Knock-knock-knockin' on heaven's door

Dylan's original is played by Clapton and Roger waters too.

George Micheal - Roxane

Michael Buble - Feeling Good

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower

Seal - Its A Mans world -- liked this better than the original sung by james brown but, the same song sung by james brown feat Pavarotti in a concert is mind blowing.

Andrea Bocelli - Besame Mucho

Julio Iglesias - Fragile

Helmut Lotti - Guantanamera

Julio Iglesias -Guantanamera

jimmy hendrix - all along the watchtower.
doors - gloria (live)
alice cooper - jailhouse rock (in concert)
megadeth - paranoid

Sinatra's version of 'Something', My way and Gentle on my mind are some of the covers that he has sung way better than the originals...

Jamie Cullum's version of Everlasting Love is a different version of Gloria Estefan's but I like his version more as it is a totally different jazzt take to the original

I will get back with more covers....

Peter Gabriel: Strawberry Fields (original: The Beatles)
Metallica: Whiskey in the Jar (org. Thin Lizzy)
The Black Crows/Grateful Dead: Hard to Handle (Otis Redding)

Sepultura - Symptom of the Universe (Black Sabbath)

Cradle of Filth - Hell Awaits (Slayer), Hallowed be Thy Name (Iron Maiden)

Children of Bodom - Silent Scream (Slayer)

Remembered one more Priest classic covered by Death - Painkiller.

Hammerfall - I Want Out (Helloween)

definitely

I heard it on the grapevine - CCR
Superstitous - by Stevie Ray Vaughan
California Dreamin by Funkadelic
All along the watchtower - <live performance by multiple guitarists - each with his own style...> not necessarily better than the Hendrix version but very different
Album Casa by Maurelenbaum - songs by Jobim - a Must if you are into any world music - especially bassa nova

good thread. :clapping:..will post more later

Will Hendrix' cover of 'All Along The Watchtower' qualify as being the greatest cover so far???....at least I think so...

anyway to add some more:
Carpenters- Jambalaya (original: Hank Williams(??))

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back