What is there in a Vinyl?.........Just a thought.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway a person who dislike analogue sound does not qualify to get into any debate with in this thread.

But he has to understand that his knowledge is limited in this subject and he is doing nothing except polluting this place.
Hope the Mods are making a note of!!

Nicely put plasmoid. Yes pops and clicks are an inherent part of a vinyl setup but its something which I have noticed that Vinyl lovers like about. Am not referring to the loud ones which definitely occurs due to a split in the groove or a scratch or a bit dirt particle. But the soft pop and clicks are like a part and parcel of vinyl listening.Many do the mistake of trying to clean those files and hence losing out on few of the frequencies.

As u rightly said when it comes to convenience nothing can beat digital but here we are not speaking of convenience,we r speaking of the listening experience and thats heavenly when a good vinyl is played on a decent setup.

Agreed on both counts. I love a light crackling with my music (actually adds a fuzzy crispness to the presentation) and once you get used to it, you tend to find something is missing when listening to digital. On the convenience bit, I didn't mean to go off discussion, sincere apologies. Just wanted to comment why I personally like digital :).

Last edited:
You should also understand that your knowledge with Digital is also not that great. So keep talking about vinyls but don't try to vilify Digital music, in the process, of which you Know nothing about.

When it comes to Vinyls its the best the kind of music I listen to. No comparisions with any crap!!

Agreed on both counts. I love a light crackling with my music (actually adds a fuzzy crispness to the presentation) and once you get used to it, you tend to find something is missing when listening to digital. On the convenience bit, I didn't mean to go off discussion, sincere apologies. Just wanted to comment why I personally like digital :).

Absolutely spot on plasmoid!!
Nothing to apologise about.

If analogue and digital are equally well mastered then on a very good system both sound fabulous. I have owned digital components of a very high pedigree and well mastered cds sound fabulous. The only reason why old Hindi films sound bad on digital is because they have been poorly mastered. Having said that some of the original Made in England cds of old Hindi titles are fabulous.

If the titles I listen to were well mastered on CD, I would choose digital over vinyl. Unfortunately that’s not the case and hence went with vinyl

Yes thanks for that. Please don't compare noise with digital audio and we will happily live ever after.

Stop reading too much in between as that will only trouble u further. Everything is written in simple English for all to understand and infer.

If analogue and digital are equally well mastered then on a very good system both sound fabulous. I have owned digital components of a very high pedigree and well mastered cds sound fabulous. The only reason why old Hindi films sound bad on digital is because they have been poorly mastered. Having said that some of the original Made in England cds of old Hindi titles are fabulous.

If the titles I listen to were well mastered on CD, I would choose digital over vinyl. Unfortunately that’s not the case and hence went with vinyl

Correct Prem!!

But the aspect where Analogue beats Digital hands down is the listening fatigue. That is why I put the Title as "What is there in a Vinyl......." :)

No Jayant, there’s no listening fatigue with digital if it’s well mastered CD. For example I have owned many of Rahman cds in the past. They sound fabulous with zero fatigue on a good CD player. There’s no way a vinyl can touch that. Incidentally I own Lagaan lp. I clearly prefer the CD in this case. Technically the floor noise of a vinyl will always be higher than a CD. Hence the level of details you will get on a well mastered CD will be way higher than you can ever hope to get on vinyl. It’s unfortunate that well mastered cds of Hindi titles are seldom released. For example I have the very first press of Taal which was never put out in the market. Reason being the dynamic range was so high that it sounded bad on a boom box which was the norm in those days. Hence they remastered it adding compression and loudness. The moment you do that the magic is gone.

Most of the Hindi music released post 90s have their original master on a CD. If you ever listen to a copy of that CD, you’ll be blown. The realness and dynamics is astonishing.

I have produced a Marathi film where I have the master on a CD and also the cds that were put out in the market. The master CD just kills the ones that were put out in the market because the commercial ones were compressed to make it sound loud

I find all these conversation about one format being superior to another very juvenile. It all comes down to which title has been mastered better on CD and which on vinyl.

Last edited:
Reuben I have huge respect for u but I am not taking this comment of urs

I think you took it personally whereas my opinion was generic. Having know how about how this works, why not be open about it. See what happened to Garrard turntables? One could get a 301 for Rs.1000 at some point, then the Japanese started buying them and writing online opinions. The next thing one know is that a 301 now costs upwards of 90k. This is a universal phenomenon.

Regarding pressings, I am just taking a clue out of international grading techniques for any collector's item. What is positioned as a collectors item should have some related documentation to prove it. There should be a competent authority which issues these. Unfortunately in India, we don't have such circumstances. For music, the content has a role to play in the value and not just the pressing grade. For example, a Beatles first pressing could definitely cost more than a Boney M first pressing. Just my 2 cents.

Going through the discussion I do have sincere doubts on the credibility of the knowledge that koushik & pakecc has on this Topic. It seems from the posts that they are making here that they only listen to digital stuff (if at all they do) and they can go to any extent in ridiculing analogue and related stuff to glorify their taste. Its sickening to say the least. Someone who doubts the capability and output of a Nakamichi 3 head Deck is either insane or knows nothing about hifi audio. He should be spending more time in the Deck section or other foras to upgrade himself rather posting crap and spreading nuisance here.

hai audiohifi, pls go thru my post. Does it sound that I like only digital? I think I have listened/listening to analogue more than digital. Now also listening to analogue or digital is depends on my convenience on that particular time. Regards.

I find all these conversation about one format being superior to another very juvenile. It all comes down to which title has been mastered better on CD and which on vinyl.

Prem my thread clearly states from the 1st post itself that am referring to the era of music I listen to and i.e. 60s,70s,80s and eraly 90s. And there is no iota of any doubt that Vinyl beats digital hands down in most cases in that era.

No Jayant, there’s no listening fatigue with digital if it’s well mastered CD. For example I have owned many of Rahman cds in the past. They sound fabulous with zero fatigue on a good CD player. There’s no way a vinyl can touch that. Incidentally I own Lagaan lp. I clearly prefer the CD in this case. Technically the floor noise of a vinyl will always be higher than a CD. Hence the level of details you will get on a well mastered CD will be way higher than you can ever hope to get on vinyl. It’s unfortunate that well mastered cds of Hindi titles are seldom released. For example I have the very first press of Taal which was never put out in the market. Reason being the dynamic range was so high that it sounded bad on a boom box which was the norm in those days. Hence they remastered it adding compression and loudness. The moment you do that the magic is gone.

Most of the Hindi music released post 90s have their original master on a CD. If you ever listen to a copy of that CD, you’ll be blown. The realness and dynamics is astonishing.

I have produced a Marathi film where I have the master on a CD and also the cds that were put out in the market. The master CD just kills the ones that were put out in the market because it’s been compressed to make it sound loud

Well stated Prem. It definitely comes down to the mastering. CDs before the loudness wars sounded fantastic. Remasters(apart from MoFi and a few rare cases) give a lot of listening fatigue and generally sound flat and congested. Having said that, I have made some comparisons of first pressings of Thin Lizzy and Jethro Tull on CD and vinyl(both UK versions)...there is something about the vinyl that makes it sound fuller and larger than the CD...like its projected out of the speakers - almost 3 dimensional in comparison to the CD. Could this be because I have a very modest CD player that isn't pulling enough details from the CD?

I have produced a Marathi film where I have the master on a CD and also the cds that were put out in the market. The master CD just kills the ones that were put out in the market because the commercial ones were compressed to make it sound loud

Well Prem I beg to differ on certain observations u made and I have a reason for that.

I cannot quote on Rahman's CDs because I do not listen to Rahman, and new pressings of Lagaan and all I do not have a copy of as I consider them digital pressings :) BUT if I even take the era of 90s and early 2000s also there has been few LPs which clearly comes to my mind which are at par if not better than the Indian CDs. Please note here I am not referring about the Melody/Sirocco ones. Say like Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman,Sajaan,Vishwatma to name a few..................the vinyl output was fabulous though it didn't have the greatest shellac quality and terrible artwork.

The Floor Noise which u refer to is a point but in higher setups that is minimal.

I only have one thing to say and that is if people are so big a digital fan and if CDs have so much warmth in their final output, then why vinyls and that too the old pressings still sells and that too at a premium??? R n t we contradicting ourselves only?

Jayant, noted. Which is why I too buy vinyls for Bollywood music from that era:)

Plasmoid, the first pressings of Jethro Tull would have been in 84-85. Those would have been pressed most probably in Japan. Those ones sound really good. I used to own them. I have no idea which ones you own. Thin Lizzy I don’t listen. So have no clue. For Jethro Tull, the best CD pressing is on DCC mastered by Steve Hoffman. I prefer that slightly over the Japanese first pressings. Japanese sounds a bit more lively whereas DCC sounds a bit more fuller. You can’t go wrong with either.

Jayant when it comes to old vinyls, it’s a demand supply situation. If you had 500 near mint Angel pressings of Aradhana, it would probably not sell at more than 1000-1500. But there will hardly be a handful of near mint Angel vinyls and hundreds chasing them. So I guess that raises the price. Also when it comes to vinyl there are guys who collect all first pressings of a certain music director or actor or singer. They will want to own a copy irrespective of the price. Which is why certain titles go for crazy prices even when they have very little music to offer. Many times I am not sure if people buy a first press because of better quality or because of its collectible value.

Some people collect coins, some wines, some postcards. Whenever people start collecting something prices start going up. That’s all there is to it. To an outsider it will look very irrational whereas to a collector it seems all fair

Jayant, noted. Which is why I too buy vinyls for Bollywood music from that era:)

Plasmoid, the first pressings of Jethro Tull would have been in 84-85. Those would have been pressed most probably in Japan. Those ones sound really good. I used to own them. I have no idea which ones you own. Thin Lizzy I don’t listen. So have no clue. For Jethro Tull, the best CD pressing is on DCC mastered by Steve Hoffman. I prefer that slightly over the Japanese first pressings. Japanese sounds a bit more lively whereas DCC sounds a bit more fuller. You can’t go wrong with either.

My Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery first pressing is on the Chrysalis green label(butterfly and logo in red)CHR1082 and says Recorded and mixed somewhere in Europe by the Maison Rouge mobile studio. My friend has some of the DCC CDs and has made copies of Broadsword and Aqualung for me. Yes they sound great but my go to version for Aqualung is the Steven Wilson 40th Anniversary CD:). Beats the DCC hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back