What kind of Cable & Connector goes for this Speaker

Aquarian09

Hello guys,

would like to know what kind of cable & connector goes for this speaker:
Klipsch RF42II Floorstanding, center and surrounds.
54377-klipsch-rf-42-ii1.jpg

and does all these high-end speakers have the same type of sockets, irrespective of brand ?

If I buy these speakers and a different brand woofer (SVS PB 12 Plus) Can I connect all these to one AVR or do I need additional amp for woofer ?

If I need additional amp for woofer, then do I need to connect the AMP back to AVR, to which the speakers are connected ?

Just some basic doubts, I have no experience with these hi-fi speakers and their connectivity.

Any info, if u guys can share will be helpful and share some pics of the cable & connectors it will be easy to understand :)

Cheers,
Aditya

Last edited:
You can use bare wire, banana plugs and spades. As for the cables, depends on your budget. DAC is a decent budget brand.

The SVS is an active sub, the amplifier is built in. So you would need a sub woofer cable to connect it to your AVR.

From the picture the speakers have the option of bi-wiring. Not all speakers (either high/mid/low) have these type of connectors. In fact you can remove the pins to make it a regular single pair of connectors if you are planning not to make use of bi-wiring. Coming to other queries yes these speakers can be paired with any subwoofer like SVS or any other brand. No issues as the woofers that you mentioned are all powered ones so they have their own in-built amplifiers so can be paired with any AVR.

. In fact you can remove the pins to make it a regular single pair of connectors if you are planning not to make use of bi-wiring.

Isn't it other way?
For bi-wiring we have to remove the metal strap between top and bottom connectors and run 2 pairs of cable from Amp to top and bottom terminals?

For normal use keep the metal straps and connect the speaker cable to LF/MF?

Isn't it other way?
For bi-wiring we have to remove the metal strap between top and bottom connectors and run 2 pairs of cable from Amp to top and bottom terminals?

For bi-wiring/bi-amping you need to remove the jumpers between the two +ve terminals and two -ve terminals and wire sets of +ve & -ve terminals individually.

Isn't it other way?

Thanks yes you are correct.

I didnt understand a thing about what u guys r talking :(
i dont know what all those technical terminology means ... like ... bare wire, banana plugs ... bi-wiring ..... i understood nothing ...all bouncers :(

thats the reason I was requesting for photos of those wires and plugs :D please if u can post it will be helpful .... i am going no where like this :(
need help pls

also .... the current AVR i have has this kind of input for wiring ... can I connect SVS subwoofer to this AVR ?? using the same speakers/woofer out panel on the right side of this photo ?
back_large.jpg

presently am connecting my speakers to the speakers out on the the right side panel of this picture.

Last edited:
If you are confused with bi wiring etc. just connect the speaker to the AVR using standard speaker wire you can get from any audio shop

I didnt understand a thing about what u guys r talking :(
i dont know what all those technical terminology means ... like ... bare wire, banana plugs ... bi-wiring ..... i understood nothing ...all bouncers :(

thats the reason I was requesting for photos of those wires and plugs :D please if u can post it will be helpful .... i am going no where like this :(
need help pls

also .... the current AVR i have has this kind of input for wiring ... can I connect SVS subwoofer to this AVR ?? using the same speakers/woofer out panel on the right side of this photo ?
back_large.jpg

presently am connecting my speakers to the speakers out on the the right side panel of this picture.

Hey aquarian09, get one thing clear. You would have to buy your avr and speakers right from the scratch. Using your onkyo current avr would not be possible as the technology used to connect subwoofers is of two types to keep it simple.
Active and Passive.
Active means the subwoofer has its own amplifier (the svs which you are talking) which would require only a power socket i.e two pin plug from electric board and passive (your current onkyo one)means the subwoofer will draw power from the avr itself and does not require external electric supply to run.
The only thing you would have to get cleared first is that your current avr would not be able to connect a powered subwoofer as to do so you need to have a subwoofer preout on avr which onkyo does not have. As for bi wiring you can read previous posts regarding bi wiring which means you have to feed current from avr to the tweeter and woofer on the speaker separately or individually

Hey aquarian09, get one thing clear. You would have to buy your avr and speakers right from the scratch. Using your onkyo current avr would not be possible as the technology used to connect subwoofers is of two types to keep it simple.
Active and Passive.
Active means the subwoofer has its own amplifier (the svs which you are talking) which would require only a power socket i.e two pin plug from electric board and passive (your current onkyo one)means the subwoofer will draw power from the avr itself and does not require external electric supply to run.
The only thing you would have to get cleared first is that your current avr would not be able to connect a powered subwoofer as to do so you need to have a subwoofer preout on avr which onkyo does not have. As for bi wiring you can read previous posts regarding bi wiring which means you have to feed current from avr to the tweeter and woofer on the speaker separately or individually

Thanks rayvonnee,
very informative, helped alot.
So, basically I need to buy a new AVR ..... I have one more question. What is Power Amp & Pre Amp ..... and Should I have an AVR even though if I have a Power Amp & Pre Amp ?
Don't mind me asking these, but, just want to get a basic idea about it :)
I hope you dont mind me asking these for clarification :)

Cheers,
Aditya

Thanks rayvonnee,
very informative, helped alot.
So, basically I need to buy a new AVR ..... I have one more question. What is Power Amp & Pre Amp ..... and Should I have an AVR even though if I have a Power Amp & Pre Amp ?
Don't mind me asking these, but, just want to get a basic idea about it :)
I hope you dont mind me asking these for clarification :)

Cheers,
Aditya

No Problem. The forum is meant to share info. Glad my post helped you. A pre+power combo is something different. And as far as i know an AVR is an integration of both these. The PRE as the name suggests is before the amplification stage. So a pre takes in the inputs what you provide. Say Optical, Coaxial, Line In, HDMI. It will process these signals and decode the Dolby/DTS signals provided and will feed these signals to the Power Amp. The Pre will have Preouts to provide the decoded signals with a slight boost to the power amplifier. The only duty of the power amp is just to reproduce exactly what the pre signal feeds it. Not much into all this pre+pwr thing but i guess you can easily relate this thing to the powered subwoofer. The preout on the LFE on amplifier is fed to the subwoofer lfe input so basically its a decoded signal which is sent to the subwoofer's amplifier to amplify. So just like LFE output on avr, a pre will have preouts for left,right,center,surr. Left, surr. Right, surr.BackLeft, Surr. BackLeft,(for a 7channel amplifier) and these signals will go to the respective inputs power amp for amplification.
You dont need an avr if you plan to buy a pre+pwr
Another option is if you can get an avr which has preouts and use it to run your speakers and then later buy power amp and give the respective inputs of avr to power amp. So in short if you feel your avr does not have enough juice to run your speakers then you can buy power amp and use the AVR like a PRE

Last edited:
No Problem. The forum is meant to share info. Glad my post helped you. A pre+power combo is something different. And as far as i know an AVR is an integration of both these. The PRE as the name suggests is before the amplification stage. So a pre takes in the inputs what you provide. Say Optical, Coaxial, Line In, HDMI. It will process these signals and decode the Dolby/DTS signals provided and will feed these signals to the Power Amp. The Pre will have Preouts to provide the decoded signals with a slight boost to the power amplifier. The only duty of the power amp is just to reproduce exactly what the pre signal feeds it. Not much into all this pre+pwr thing but i guess you can easily relate this thing to the powered subwoofer. The preout on the LFE on amplifier is fed to the subwoofer lfe input so basically its a decoded signal which is sent to the subwoofer's amplifier to amplify. So just like LFE output on avr, a pre will have preouts for left,right,center,surr. Left, surr. Right, surr.BackLeft, Surr. BackLeft,(for a 7channel amplifier) and these signals will go to the respective inputs power amp for amplification.
You dont need an avr if you plan to buy a pre+pwr
Another option is if you can get an avr which has preouts and use it to run your speakers and then later buy power amp and give the respective inputs of avr to power amp. So in short if you feel your avr does not have enough juice to run your speakers then you can buy power amp and use the AVR like a PRE

Thanks rayvonnee,
for all the info .... its helping me alot in understanding ....it maybe some basic stuff ... but am not at all aware of these equipments :)
Thanks for taking time and explaining all of this to me.
I understood the basic work around with pre & power amp.
but what is a LFE ??
Also now i'd like to know what kind of cables go where ??
If I am planning to get a Pre & power amp ..... can you please show me pics of cables and the connectors that go into a pre & power amp from speakers ..... 7.1 speakers.

LFE is same as subwoofer out. It stands for low frequency effects. There are two types of cables or maybe more which i am not aware. As far as basic cabling goes they are just rca connectors. The ones which are used for subwoofer. That type of jack is called an rca jack. The other way is balanced xlr jack, which i dont know what it means and is generally found on high end equipment. Request some other members to throw light on this.

LFE is same as subwoofer out. It stands for low frequency effects. There are two types of cables or maybe more which i am not aware. As far as basic cabling goes they are just rca connectors. The ones which are used for subwoofer. That type of jack is called an rca jack. The other way is balanced xlr jack, which i dont know what it means and is generally found on high end equipment. Request some other members to throw light on this.

Thanks alot rayvonnee
Yes, other members, please share the info and throw some light on the subject, it will help not only me but others who are new here :)

Cheers,
Aditya

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back