what must one believe?

the inference to be drawn - is that the creative artist is the one who creates the mix?

Not a creative artist but a creative editor. Many a times recording studios edit and mix music to make it sound interesting, but, yes, the naturality is lost.

Again, our recording technologies have their own limitations which prevent sound from being reproduced as original as a live performance.

Take the example of a person singing, in the live performance, if this singer raises the voice, you actually feel louder, whereas in a recording, the increasing in the loudness is not as prominent, though the mixer adjusts the background to make the singer appear louder.

Suri,

Your query seems to be exactly what I've written about in my thread here:
http://www.hifivision.com/articles-...ather-perceptual-audio-coding.html#post100793

Not trying to publicise or promote my thread but a part of the answer to your question can be explained by reading section 5. So I linked to it, rather than writing the whole thing here again, verbatim.

-Ajinkya.

Hi ajinkya,

i just read that! - and yes - exactly my query with answers to it!

i had read part 1 of that thread with great interest, and somehow missed reading part 2! - now having read part 2, this thread seems superfluous!

regards,
suri

edit - ajinkya, you like britney spears because of the way she shows the top surface of her tongue when she sings "Baybin, Baybin............"?:licklips:

Last edited:
This is exactly the problem with compression. While the theoretical maximum dynamic range of a recording cannot match the theoretical maximum dynamic range of a live performance, in an uncompressed, pristine recording it would do a pretty solid job, and you wouldn't be left wanting. But such recordings are few. Check out that Ry Cooder - Vishwa MOhan Bhatt recording.....or the really good Decca/Deutsche Gramophon classical recordings and so on for really stunning dynamic range. These are suggestions from my very limited experience, and I am sure others here will have a lot more suggestions.

Take the example of a person singing, in the live performance, if this singer raises the voice, you actually feel louder, whereas in a recording, the increasing in the loudness is not as prominent, though the mixer adjusts the background to make the singer appear louder.

Excessive use of Compressor / Limiter and Gate should be avoided to make it sound unnatural. Avoid using compressor to preserve the dynamic range of the recording.

Auto Tune from Antares Audio is available in software and hardware form and uses an algorithm to correct pitch shifting for instruments and vocals.Maybe very soon we will find softwares and robots to sing for us :eek:hyeah:

I am forgetting the name of the software plugin from AVID which was used to do the same job in their Protools DAW system.

http://www.antarestech.com/products/auto-tune-evo.shtml

Last edited:
edit - ajinkya, you like britney spears because of the way she shows the top surface of her tongue when she sings "Baybin, Baybin............"?:licklips:

Suri,
I like Britney Spears because of the way she shows the top surface of many things (including her tongue) while she sings "Baybin, Baybin". :cool:

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back