What power conditioners do you use?

@newlash09 , have you tried connecting the power amp to the ps audio directly instead of going through the isotek ? Power amps do not like power conditioners. Best is to connect them directly to the mains or to a well-made regenerator like ps audio.
If you have the right power conditioner then you will find good improvement in sound quality. Check with sajad and nikhil who owns Rega they too have observed it. That is the challenge in the power conditioner design for the audiophiles that You want better sound leveraged from the entire system yet dynamics don't get suppressed.

Last edited:
Have anyone compared double conversion sine wave ups from APC, Eaton, Liebert etc...against good power regenerators like PS audio ? Please note that I am NOT referring to sine wave home inverters here.

I use a Eaton 1kva ups for my stereo set-up. Connected to a barracuda distribution box, which has all my gear. Luxman amp, Rega TT, Cambridge cxn and marantz CDP.

If you have the right power conditioner then you will find good improvement in sound quality. Check with sajad and nikhil who owns Rega they too have observed it. That is the challenge in the power conditioner design for the audiophiles that You want better sound leveraged from the entire system yet dynamics don't get suppressed.

Hi Sandyj

The ps audio p1200 is in a completely different league compared to power filters and conditioners. It converts in coming AC to DC. And regenerates it back to AC. So the incoming AC wave form is completely destroyed along with the other gremlins. And one can choose even preferred output frequency from anywhere between 50 to 60hz. So as You can see, it is a pure sine wave AC regenerator that can continuously pump out 1200 watts of pristine power, as it is basically a 1200W class A amp that is forced cooled by fans. It is claimed to be even better than than the newer PS audio P10 power plants as they have utilized a different tech to reduce the size and the heat. And the PS1200 weighs a mammoth 76 kgs to deliver that kind of output. So it is probably not fair to compare power filters and conditioners to what it does. As it's in a different league all together.

The above said, usually when anyone gets a power conditioner, they always plug the entire system into it. The whole audio chain that is. And there will be a definite improvement, that is Because of the purer power going to the streamer, dac and preamp. But not because the big power amps gain anything from it. The overall improvement is Because of improvement in the source components, and not the power components.

And on the contrary if the conditioner can't match the power demand of the amps, there will be a loss of dynamics. So id advocate amps direct to wall, and only source components to filters and conditioners

Last edited:
There are many who like the passive way though. Purists never like even one component being added up in the chain. It should be like the improvement should be there but it should be as good as a straight connection.

I use a Eaton 1kva ups for my stereo set-up. Connected to a barracuda distribution box, which has all my gear. Luxman amp, Rega TT, Cambridge cxn and marantz CDP.

Can you post the exact model number or link ? I have an APC 2kva double conversion model..almost 6 years now. Time for a change.

The UPS is making a buzzing or humming sound. I've asked the dealer to check it out. I'll send the model number tomorrow when I get back home. Thanks

Hi friends..in contiuation of above thread..my query is how good will be UPS based on Galvanic Isolation Transformers and EMi/RFI filters..request friends to throw some light on it.

Rgds

What is CVT and IST?

I want to know more about what people are doing for good power supply and what are they using.
I am not yet looking to buy a equipment just yet.
That being said my budget is under 1L, and my amps are coincident 300b monoblocks, and dac/preamp Amr dp777
I am using batteries on my preamp - Exide 12v+12v, 7 aH, same for my subwoofer to reduce challenges posed by AC supply. My Blueray player has quite good SMPS supply. For my 300B monoblocks have built a line frequency harmonics suppression device which is currently under test. Hope this answers part of your query.

There are many who like the passive way though. Purists never like even one component being added up in the chain. It should be like the improvement should be there but it should be as good as a straight connection.

Then that probably doesn't apply to me....I have probably 13 boxes in the chain and takes me 5 mins to power up everything to get the music playing these days. Anyways I don't consider myself a audiophile and neither a purist of any sorts. So I guess Iam free to play around, without being shackled to any old audiophile premonitions :D

I am using batteries on my preamp - Exide 12v+12v, 7 aH, same for my subwoofer to reduce challenges posed by AC supply. My Blueray player has quite good SMPS supply. For my 300B monoblocks have built a line frequency harmonics suppression device which is currently under test. Hope this answers part of your query.
Wow I didn't even know AC power posed challenges :) Subwoofer runs on car battery ?? Sorry about my ignorance .

I just saw this thread on Audiogon and it reminded me of your post.

1000+W Lithium batteries are available to run an entire audio system. No power conditioners, no CVTs, no surge protectors, no power cords. Sounds like heaven to me. To add icing to cake, it's sold at non-audiophile prices.
There seems to be audiophile version of this: Stromstank or something at $30,000.

Last edited:
The owner seems to be gushing all over it... With my Lyngdorf 2170, I guess the Yeti 400 would be enough to power my amp and laptop... Research begins now...

Turns out, some Amazon reviews dated 2016 are not happy with the battery shelf life..

Last edited:
Think the big problem would be shipping. Lot of restrictions on shipping Lithium batteries. Would be good to figure out the rules around that.

Shipping and customs is not an issue as the manufacturer will give the required documents for customs.. We might have to pay a bit more but not that big an issue.. My concern would be

1) how long do the batteries last
2) How easily can they be sourced if locally or imported if something goes wrong..
3) Is there any benefit in sound quality over Lead Acid car catteries
4) How is it any different from a Pure Sine Wave UPS?

If you read through the thread, I think the first three questions are answered.
Someone mentioned #4 as well in the thread, but don't remember if there was a resolution to that.

I'm not a technical person, do please forgive this question: Doesn't the voltage drop as the battery gets discharged? And isn't that a bad thing?

I'm not a technical person, do please forgive this question: Doesn't the voltage drop as the battery gets discharged? And isn't that a bad thing?
I charge my preamp batteries once in 15 days ( average usage 3 hrs per day). Subwoofer battery needs charging twice a week. Charge time around 2 to 3 hrs for full charge

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back