What receiver for a 2.1 sound system?

SonomaComa

Hi I am fairly new to the audiophile knowledge and am trying to get a nice sound package to go with a new 65" TV in the bedroom. I had a Bose Cinamate 2 little speaker set up in my bedroom where this TV is. I liked it because it came with speaker stands and I was able to place them real close at the foot of the bed. They did have "big sound" but they were missing clarity. Besides when they were loud to me it was not that loud throughout the house. But I was thinking, for a total price of about $800.00 I could get some nice speakers and a receiver that would blow those away. Things escalated for me and I started looking at $5,000 systems. Overkill!
All I really need is some high quality bookshelf speakers on stands and a sub. That would be fine for the bedroom. But what kind of receiver would be needed for that? Can a regular Stereo be used or would it be better to get an actual A/V receiver? It is just going to be a 2.1 sound system and I am not going to try all of the zoning and streaming music from everything possible. I am just after some really good sound for watching Movies and regular TV. Would it be possible to get that to happen on a budget of around$1,500 - $2,000? I'm just not sure about the receiver.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back