What should Constitute or Make a good Music

Hari Iyer

Always had this thought in my mind about what it takes to make a good Music score. After my analysis i am listing some points which i would like to share as below,

1. Lyrics - The words or how the lyrics has been written has a major impact on how the song is going to sound. The placement of key words in the song and use of rhymes in the lyrcis.

2. Music composer / director - The music direcotr has a major role in selecting the 'Raag', 'Melody', 'Rythm' for the song and how he uses the lyrics efficently for the song.

3. Singer - The singer should be competent enough to sing the song in the proper 'Raaga' and should be able to use his/her voice to the maximum advantage as per the Music Directors instruction.

4. Musicans - How the musicans play the music instruments and how well they are trained and experienced. How well they have tuned their instruments and what is the quality of these instruments also have an impact.

5. Recording Studio - Who is the recorder for this music composition and what experience he has for recording. what equipments are used for recording and how good is the engineer who ecords the music and how insulated the studio from ambient noise etc.

6. Recording Media / Playing Media - what media is the music recorded - Analogue / Digital etc. How will the music composisiton finally be presented - Vinyl, Cassette Tape, CD, MP3, WAV, Blue-ray etc.

7. Source - What source will be used at home to play the music - CD, DVD, MP3, Vinyl, Tape Deck, AM/FM radio, or computers.

8. Amplifiers - What quality is the amplifier which is used to play the music composition. Is it a hi-end audiophile grade amplifier. Valve, IGBT type, Integrated stereo ampilifer etc.

9. Loudspeaker - How good are the speakers used to play the music. What is the quality of the speakers used.

10.Interconnects - Accessories like speaker cable quality, RC-connector quality, optical cable etc.

11. Listening room - This is one of the most important parameter of how the recorded music is going to sound in your living room. How are speakers placed in your room. Are there enough sound absorbents. How insulated is your room from ambient noise. And lot of other parameters.

Hence to summarize its a mix of both software + hardware that goes to constitute a good music composition. We would not have control on all parameters but only on some of them.

For instance - Software
- we cannot decide on the 'Raaga', 'Singer', 'Lyrics' or the 'Music Director'. We can only control what we can buy or download. Hence a good software sells and bad once are rejected.
- Hardware - We cannot change our living room just because our speakers sound awful there. Most of our do not have a choice here too.

Only controlable factor would be the other hardware that goes in constituting a good music composition like Source, Amplifiers, loudspeakers etc.

Summarizing the entire Music chain (software + Hardware) should be good enough for a good music composition.

As per my belief and experience the Loudspeaker form the most weakest link the entire Music Chain.

Would like other forum members to contribute with their thoughts and belief.....

Cheers,:)

Just for the sake of being comprehensive, you could try adding a sub-point to item 2 called Arrangement. All the listed factors remaining the same, a composition can be arranged differently by the same music director (or different music directors, in which case the point becomes moot). In live classical concert settings, the conductor's contribution would play a significant role too, similar to a DJ mixing a live set.

My understanding of this is limited, so please feel free to correct.

Just for the sake of being comprehensive, you could try adding a sub-point to item 2 called Arrangement. All the listed factors remaining the same, a composition can be arranged differently by the same music director (or different music directors, in which case the point becomes moot). In live classical concert settings, the conductor's contribution would play a significant role too, similar to a DJ mixing a live set.

My understanding of this is limited, so please feel free to correct.

Yes, the music composition is most important along with Raaga and notes for a melodious music for which the composer needs to be learned and experienced in music. Ironically, audiophiles only pay attention to the hardware and not to the software and make judgements about hardware. Only a good sounding melodious composition will make our soul happy after hearing. If only the hardware was good only the body will dance and if the composition is also good the soul will dance too.
Cheers,

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back