What Speakers as per Room Size

devilash1

Hi Guys,

I have a 13 x 15 room which doubles up as both a guest bedroom and home theater. I am planning a 100" screen on the 15' wall. I have two doubts.

1. Should I go for 7.1 or 5.1 setup.
2. Considering the room size should I go for Kef Q500, Paradigm Monitor 7, Polk Rti A5, PSB Image T5 or their bigger brothers Q700/Monitor 9, RtiA7, T6.

I am enclosing the top view of room as attachment.

Some Pointers.

1. Where should I place my side surrounds in case of 7.1. The door height on left side is 6'9". Which forces me to put the surrounds just below the 8 foot high ceiling.
2. I am putting 4 electric recliners to the window side.
3. The AC is above the window.
4. I am planning absorption by Anutone on side walls and diffusion on rear walls. The rear curtain should take care of rear absorption.
5. I have no scope of placing rear seating beyond 1 feet from back wall due to the bed in the room.

Please suggest changes/corrections and general advise.

Thanks

Ash

Attachments

• HT Room.jpg
    HT Room.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 222
5.1 is quite enough.use the extra money for a better sub.
for a 15*13 room and for movie set up,in my opinion good bookshelves with sub is pretty good.so a floorstander is upon your choice......well after demo you can decide...i think a dedicated sub fro bass management is there so you dont need fs for 15*13 room....
by the saved money you can buy better bookshelves or a better strong sub(very imp for movies)

i have a doubt about sub placement....well as i am newbie also..maybe gurus can say better...i think sub at front side will do better job..anyway sub placement is trial and error where you will be completly happy depends on you...

also consider wharfedale and sonodyne.....demo speakers and then decide upon your ear taste..

There are different methods to locate the best spot for sub like subwoofer crawl. Another method is to place the sub at your listening position. Walk around the room and check where you get best sub effect. Place the sub at that position.

5.1 is quite enough.use the extra money for a better sub.
for a 15*13 room and for movie set up,in my opinion good bookshelves with sub is pretty good

+1 to that. For a room of your size, bookshelves will be easier to integrate rather than Floor standers. I am not saying that floorstander will not work, but you will have to try harder to get them to work properly. Since the 5.1 system will anyway have a sub, you should seriously check out good quality bookshelves rather than floorstanders.

Best,
APK

As stated above already:

- bookshelves will suffice for the room of your size although FS look impressive
- 5.1 is sufficient, you can get rid of the side surrounds

In that case I will need to go for a good sub and great bookshelves! I am currently used to full bodied sound coming from the front and am wondering if the same can be had of BS speakers.

I was also considering the Jamo D500 THX speakers but felt them to be a little lite for my taste. Does anyone else have experience with D500s?

So far I have auditioned Kefs Q 300/900, Polks Rti A7, Focal Chorus 716, Dali Zensor 7/5/Ikon 6, Wharfedale Diamond 10.6, B&W 684, Heco, Klipsch RF52, Jamo 606/607, D500/600/D590. Of these I liked the Kef, Zensor 7, B&W 684, Jamo D600s.

I am planning to audition PSB T5/6 and Paradigm Monitor and Studio series soon.

You should audition PSB Imagine and Synchrony series and MK Sound as well.

Did you audition all of the above in hyderabad?

Hi guys this is Devilash1, I have decided to ditch the side speakers and go for the rear surrounds alone in bipolar mode. I have decided to go with floorstanders only. I am trying to select a sub and my options are Velodyne Eq max 12 and Sunfire sds 12. Can someone throw some light on these subs!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back