What to look for when in a showroom ?

vashok

Hi
I did some research on models which I ought to be looking for and the size. I took 32" LCD as the size for my 8.5' viewing distance. In Croma, e-zone - they have a good range of Samsung, Philips, LG, Sony and Panasonic. Here is my problem.
- The latest models are not there. For eg. at Croma, they have a Panasonic LX75 comparing with Sony V series.
- They all play Sony's Bravia videos.
- The clarity of Sony seems much better than all others. Is that not because of the doctoring of Sony videos. I know that Sony done some bit of updates with their latest series, but Panasonic LX70 or LX700 were not even in sight to make a fair comparison.
- I got someone good to help me at E-zone. Knew stuff and I admired him for his ability to keep himself up-to-date, considering it might be his only livelihood.
- Is it advisable to take my own video to these places ?

Thanks,
Ashok

i guess they should be able to play some HD vids for you,recently,i was with my friend who purchased a lg lcd tv,we actually tested it with a lot of HD vids.
so you could ask em demo you the same.
also test it for the contrast ratios that they promise.

Hi
I did some research on models which I ought to be looking for and the size. I took 32" LCD as the size for my 8.5' viewing distance. In Croma, e-zone - they have a good range of Samsung, Philips, LG, Sony and Panasonic. Here is my problem.
- The latest models are not there. For eg. at Croma, they have a Panasonic LX75 comparing with Sony V series.
- The clarity of Sony seems much better than all others. Is that not because of the doctoring of Sony videos. I know that Sony done some bit of updates with their latest series, but Panasonic LX70 or LX700 were not even in sight to make a fair comparison.
- I got someone good to help me at E-zone. Knew stuff and I admired him for his ability to keep himself up-to-date, considering it might be his only livelihood.

Thanks,
Ashok

Absolutely to your last question. I always taken my own DVDs and my own CDs wherever and wherever I go for audition. If the showroom objects, I just walk away and look for a showroom that will agree.

In the recent past I have gone one step ahead. I carry my own speaker cables, HDMI cables, and, if necessary, my own DVD Player. Yesterday I was auditioning speakers and electronics from a company. (I am writing a review). I refused to listen to a two channel system with some DVD Player called 'Mitsui' as the source.

As Sherlock Holmes used to say, 'when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth'. Similarly when you are auditioning a system, you must eliminate all variables you have control upon, so that whatever remains is the truth. If you are unsure about the player, unsure about the connections, unsure about the media .... what can you conclude.

All the showrooms have the same old silly DVD that has a dozen clips from movies such as Kill Bill etc. I always a prefer a DVD that I have seen many times, and know what to expect.

For example one of my favourtie DVD is 'The Incredibles'. There is a scene when the junior realises he has super powers, and he enjoys being chased by the villains. The scene moves extremely fast with the camera focused on the boy. Most TVs blur the surrounding images. But I have seen a few TVs and projectors where the transition of the surrounding greenery is excellent, and you feel as if you are moving backwards very, very fast. If you get a chance, see this movies and in this scene, instead of watching the buy, watch the surrounding scenery. You will understand what I mean.

Cheers

Hi

Thanks,
Ashok

Theoretically speaking 32 inches is enough for a distance of 8.5 feet. But keep in mind the following facts:
1. Most 16:9 material on dvds do not cover the full screen. You have bars on top and bottom of the pictures.
2. Lot of dvd material you get are actually 4:3 size so you end up with two big bars on either side of the picture.
3. TV in India is 4:3 so you have the same problem as point number 2. You end up with a picture that is smaller than a typical 29 inch CRT.

As Sherlock Holmes used to say, 'when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth'....
Cheers

You mean to say Mr.Arthur Conan Doyle?;)

But brilliant, Chap. 6, p. 111, The Sign of the Four -1890.

Cheers!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back