What TRACKS to audition?

Devdas

diana krall - the girl in the other room

yuvraj

night song - nusrath fateh ali khan & michael brooks

I'd recommend using your favourite tracks, ones' that you've listened to many, many times.Try to incorporate some such selections from the various genres that you listen to regularly,& of good quality-i.e, see that the recrding is not compressed, has been well recorded , the pressing is good etc.
After all,you would want to enjoy music that you love thru the system, not what I or Suri love.If the systems' good,the music will move you emotionally & thats what you should look for.

What are the songs that can be used while audition? To test the amp and spk performance?

hi kamal66077,

subsequent to reading Kamal's post - this i have to ask-

do you mean testing the amp and speaker performance with equipment (for testing) and with a purpose to benchmark those loudspeakers -

OR

subjectively, for yourself?

Put a mike in the bathroom where you sing and replay it on your setup. It will be ore intimate than a Diana Krall recording ... :)

Put a mike in the bathroom where you sing and replay it on your setup. It will be ore intimate than a Diana Krall recording ... :)

make sure it is a SCHOEPS MICROPHONE -

one should be nearfield, one opposite on the long axis of seated position, and one ceiling suspended - always three!

avoid quadraphonic!:)

make sure it is a SCHOEPS MICROPHONE -

one should be nearfield, one opposite on the long axis of seated position, and one ceiling suspended - always three!

avoid quadraphonic!:)

I thought the singer needed to be suspended .. upside down .. hung by .. (any suggestions?) :)

Cheers

Use test tracks like the Burmester test cds or any other worthwhile ones to fine tune your system like a scientist.
Once this is done, lock them in your cupboard.

Take out the music that you listen to (the ones you enjoy on a daily basis) and see if it works on your system. You may need to further fine tune your system if you are not okay with hearing the flaws in the recording. A system which is fine tuned with reference grade recordings will sound okay only with recordings which are done as per the book so be prepared to fine tune further if your music is mainstream.

The best way to audition is to take a CD of your own choice and play it to see whether you are satisfied with the sound. I often use the last track of Paul Mauriat (Philips CD) - Retrospective which contains a lot of low,highs and mids which helps to determine a system.

I agree completely with Kamal and Sq Wave.

You would be in the best position to judge whether a speaker's performance is to your liking or not only if you listen to songs that you enjoy and know intimately.

Pick some of your fave songs and listen to them closely. When you listen to them on a different set up, you would be able to tell the difference.

I typically choose my songs for diffferent parameters -
Damien Rice and Sade for vocals
Camel for fluidity of music and soundstaging
Vivaldi for the high notes
Pink Floyd for clarity and soundstaging
Pineapple Thief for clarity, pace and bass

I know these songs well and know what to look for when they are played.

hi Kamal66077,

what system /speakers are you going to listen to/buy?

regards

hi kamal660766,

like square_ wave says,

listen to test cd.

the problem with your favourite cd may be that you are listening to the wrong thing!! - and therefore, you will draw the wrong inspiration from what you hear - and possibly, choose the wrong system!

the solution is - listen to reference cd (as suggested by square_wave) on your system, and then listen to it (much later) on another system.

this will give you a real idea if the new system is good or not!

regards

Back