When will you move to Projectors?

Projector in a seperate audio video room is good. But in a house in the hall and bedroom or kitchen(in some cases) projectors are out of place. Heat, non-user friendliness,wear and tear and bad choice for gaming and sports channel viewing are some of the practical issues.
Projector vs Tv is totally not apples to apples comparison. There is no clear winner here. Many misinformed fan boy talks I see in this thread. Look at international forums where people have very high end set ups. They will have both projector and an Oled or qled tv. If people have eye strain watching in a tv for more then 2 hours then it’s not the fault with tv but the individual eyes. Billions of people are having tvs at their home and are watching in tv for more then 3-4 hours a day and with some even beyond 5 hours with no issues. There is also preference. Some will want the picture quality of an Oled and sacrifice size and there are others who will sacrifice picture quality for a bigger picture. It’s an individual choice. Before I got my Oled I never had the intention of upgrading for picture quality. I tried so much calculations in my room and tried all possible ways to squeeze in a projector cause I only wanted to upgrade for size after getting bored watching in a 43 inch tv. Since my room couldn’t support a projector I went with a 65inch Oled. Now I am totally blown away by the Oled picture quality and in future even if I move to a place where projector is possible I would sacrifice the size and go for a 77 inch Oled which is my dream in another 4-5 years. This is my personal preference. There are many who want the best picture quality for movies and gaming performance. No debate here for pple with such preference Oled wins. So it’s a matter of personal preference and the type of usage.

I would disagree.. I have myh Epson TW9400 set in my hall and I have a movable table which I have put it on. I wheel it in and use whenever needed roughly 3 4 hours a day. Have a 150 inch screen projected on the wall. Can't feel the noise. I don't sit right next to the projector so can't tell the heat. Obviously my hall is quite big so I don't face issues but I am guessing that's an obvious requirement for a projector to make sense
This is what I plan to do for my house once the file is cleared by home minister. :)
No dedicated HT for me but a dedicated stereo audio room is very much in the plans.
I will install either drop down or sidewall screen which can be moved to the front of the TV and all the equipment, TV and LCR will be at the back of the screen.

Projector vs Tv is totally not apples to apples comparison. There is no clear winner here. Many misinformed fan boy talks I see in this thread. Look at international forums where people have very high end set ups. They will have both projector and an Oled or qled tv. If people have eye strain watching in a tv for more then 2 hours then it’s not the fault with tv but the individual eyes. Billions of people are having tvs at their home and are watching in tv for more then 3-4 hours a day and with some even beyond 5 hours with no issues. There is also preference. Some will want the picture quality of an Oled and sacrifice size and there are others who will sacrifice picture quality for a bigger picture. It’s an individual choice. Before I got my Oled I never had the intention of upgrading for picture quality. I tried so much calculations in my room and tried all possible ways to squeeze in a projector cause I only wanted to upgrade for size after getting bored watching in a 43 inch tv. Since my room couldn’t support a projector I went with a 65inch Oled. Now I am totally blown away by the Oled picture quality and in future even if I move to a place where projector is possible I would sacrifice the size and go for a 77 inch Oled which is my dream in another 4-5 years. This is my personal preference. There are many who want the best picture quality for movies and gaming performance. No debate here for pple with such preference Oled wins. So it’s a matter of personal preference and the type of usage.
Exactly. A perfect high-end system should definitely have both an OLED and a roll-down projector. A projector is better when you're watching with multiple people as the screen size is a lot more important factor and the sweet spot viewing position is a lot wider. Also for SDR content it's definitely the better option as you are getting a big screen without sacrificing much.

Exactly. A perfect high-end system should definitely have both an OLED and a roll-down projector. A projector is better when you're watching with multiple people as the screen size is a lot more important factor and the sweet spot viewing position is a lot wider. Also for SDR content it's definitely the better option as you are getting a big screen without sacrificing much.
Now days most conversations in the forum are like “I have heard it, I have seen it,I have this, It’s the best, I know it’s the best” No discussions on preference and various parameters to consider for each individual which will differ. There is no differentiation between reference and preference.

Now days most conversations in the forum are like “I have heard it, I have seen it,I have this, It’s the best, I know it’s the best” No discussions on preference and various parameters to consider for each individual which will differ. There is no differentiation between reference and preference.
When you're justifying your purchase rather than having a rational decision with science based arguments, it gets quite bad.

There is a reason why something happens, and making sweeping judgements about anything without science to back it up is pretty bad.

It's like those Apple fanboys who make sweeping judgements like iPhones are better than android because their ₹10k android phone was worse than their current ₹130k iPhone.

I had a low budget projector- Rs 5500- in my bedroom for a year before I bought my lg oled.
It was good as a novelty but the picture was not full hd , 720p or lower , something like what we used to see in bars during sports events pre wuhan virus. Still got it but it was never my primary screen. My 14 year old 32" Sony was my screen of choice.
My brother went for a more expensive full hd projector in the 60k range and they used it quite a bit. But he had it fitted it properly in a dark lobby with a sound system. The bulb required replacement after a year.
I never found it natural to see everyday stuff like news or sports for hours on the projector. For a movie it was nice.

I had a low budget projector- Rs 5500- in my bedroom for a year before I bought my lg oled.
It was good as a novelty but the picture was not full hd , 720p or lower , something like what we used to see in bars during sports events pre wuhan virus. Still got it but it was never my primary screen. My 14 year old 32" Sony was my screen of choice.
My brother went for a more expensive full hd projector in the 60k range and they used it quite a bit. But he had it fitted it properly in a dark lobby with a sound system. The bulb required replacement after a year.
I never found it natural to see everyday stuff like news or sports for hours on the projector. For a movie it was nice.
We are all used to projector experience. For sure I would have watched 300 movies in 15 years at some of the best if not the best cinema theatre with big screens including imax. Chennai has a very popular Cinemas named Sathyam and that was the only cinemas I always visited for movies. A projector gives a cinematic experience a tv cannot give because of the size factor. But after moving to HT from 2015 I remember seeing only 5-6 movies In theatres that also because my friends visited from abroad and wanted to catch up. I don’t miss the PJ experience or the theatre experience 1bit.Now may be after 10 years of Oled experience I may change to a PJ. Its a hobby and experiencing different types of tech is fun.

Last edited:
IMO we cannot compare apple with orange. Similarly both TV and projector has their own place and neither can take the place of other. In a dedicated HT room, projector rocks and in a living room TV rules

To be Honest, i will give up the idea of having a TV screen just due to the inability of placing a vertical center channel behind and this alone is enough for me to rule out the TV in a dedicated blacked out room. Im not even considering other factors, which are many.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back