Where to audition/buy bookshelf/2.1 speakers in Mumbai

gourav

I'm looking to buy a pair of active bookshelf speakers or a good 2.1 setup.

Online availability seems to be quite bad right now with pretty much everything showing unavailable on Amazon/Flipkart. I have zeroed in on Edifier R1850DB since it fulfills all my requirements (optical in, Bluetooth,
Sub out).

However, I wanted to look at alternatives and was also hoping to be able to listen to the speakers before buying. So I wanted suggestions for stores where I can look for speakers and audition them, if possible, especially edifier. Please recommend stores in Mumbai which I can visit. The closer to Andheri, the better, but anywhere in Mumbai works.

I checked The Shop. They don't have stock in this price range as of now.
There was another store close by called Viola (Redefine audio Pvt. Ltd.). They also didn't have stuff in this range. But the owner said fresh stock might be coming in within a couple of weeks. Just for the heck of it, I asked him for a demo of Polk Magnifi mini. He was happy to run it for me. For people with a budget, this is a good place to get a demo.

Reliance digital has Yamaha and Sony HT, but they are not very enthusiastic about giving a demo, even though they have display units. I haven't contacted Telome since that's quite far from my home and local trains are not fully open yet. I don't have personal transport and taxi will be quite expensive for that distance.

Auditioned two sets of speakers with Mr. Jignesh, in Jogeshwari West, Mumbai. Mr. Jignesh is a very cool person, he was very helpful and sat with me for the audition for close to 2 hours, played multiple songs and movies from his collection and my collection as well. He offered good prices and at the end, when I got up to leave, he didn't put any pressure to decide right away or place an order immediately. He also explained everything that I needed to know about the setup. If anyone is looking to audition/buy speakers in Mumbai, I'd definitely recommend him. DM me for his number.

First I listed to a couple of tracks on Cambridge Audio TVB2 soundbar. I wasn't all that impressed with this. I wasn't much interested in this either and listened to it just for comparison purpose.

Then I listened to Taga Harmony Azure B40, connected to a Pioneer VSX-330. This was my main interest and we spent quite a bit of time on this. We played Tracks from Hans Zimmer's concert, Bryan Adams, etc. Then we played some parts from the movie Avatar, Klaus, etc. I really liked this speaker set. The sound was very clear, both lows and highs. The cello player from Hans Zimmer's concert might as well have been standing in front of me. While the bass was not very powerful, I didn't miss a dedicated sub as much as I had thought. This is what I'm most likely to buy, unless I find something better. I'll add center and surround later.

Finally I listened to Cambridge Audio Minx Min22. These are compact speakers are designed to look good. Given their size, the bass was simply missing and I didn't think I could use it without pairing it with a sub. Additionally, I did not like the highs much, it didn't seem as clear as the Taga. While the mids in general, and vocals in particular definitely sounded better than the Taga, the highs sounded noisy, which completely ruined the experience for me. Mr. Jignesh said it improves after some burn in and the demo piece was straight out of the box. However, since the Taga was also cheaper, I didn't see any reason to go for this.

Edit: I have also scheduled an audition of Mission Mcube+SE for next week, since it was not available today.

Overall, my first proper speaker audition was a really nice experience. I loved listening to the range of sounds on a good quality speaker.

Last edited:
Auditioned two sets of speakers with Mr. Jignesh, in Jogeshwari West, Mumbai. Mr. Jignesh is a very cool person, he was very helpful and sat with me for the audition for close to 2 hours, played multiple songs and movies from his collection and my collection as well. He offered good prices and at the end, when I got up to leave, he didn't put any pressure to decide right away or place an order immediately. He also explained everything that I needed to know about the setup. If anyone is looking to audition/buy speakers in Mumbai, I'd definitely recommend him. DM me for his number.

First I listed to a couple of tracks on Cambridge Audio TVB2 soundbar. I wasn't all that impressed with this. I wasn't much interested in this either and listened to it just for comparison purpose.

Then I listened to Taga Harmony Azure B40, connected to a Pioneer VSX-330. This was my main interest and we spent quite a bit of time on this. We played Tracks from Hans Zimmer's concert, Bryan Adams, etc. Then we played some parts from the movie Avatar, Klaus, etc. I really liked this speaker set. The sound was very clear, both lows and highs. The cello player from Hans Zimmer's concert might as well have been standing in front of me. While the bass was not very powerful, I didn't miss a dedicated sub as much as I had thought. This is what I'm most likely to buy, unless I find something better. I'll add center and surround later.

Finally I listened to Cambridge Audio Minx Min22. These are compact speakers are designed to look good. Given their size, the bass was simply missing and I didn't think I could use it without pairing it with a sub. Additionally, I did not like the highs much, it didn't seem as clear as the Taga. While the mids in general, and vocals in particular definitely sounded better than the Taga, the highs sounded noisy, which completely ruined the experience for me. Mr. Jignesh said it improves after some burn in and the demo piece was straight out of the box. However, since the Taga was also cheaper, I didn't see any reason to go for this.

Edit: I have also scheduled an audition of Mission Mcube+SE for next week, since it was not available today.

Overall, my first proper speaker audition was a really nice experience. I loved listening to the range of sounds on a good quality speaker.
What is the store name?

He has listings on Amazon with the S-Grid Audio. However, the place I went to was just a demo room and did not have a board with name. It's also not marked on Google maps. He has a store/warehouse in Bhiwandi. I'll get his card next time I meet him.

Auditioned DNM audio speakers with Mr. Dilip Bajaj of DNM Audio near Saki Naka, walking distance from the metro station.

The set I auditioned was satellite speakers, I guess the ones listed as Tango 1 on their website http://dnmaudio.com. These are tiny looking speakers, not a great design, but also won't look out of place in a middle class household. They come with wall mounts and cost just Rs. 1800 a piece as of now. They were paired with an active subwoofer which is two 5.25" units.

I don't have much experience with speakers yet, so I won't try to go into too much detail and will just tell my general impression. The speakers were quite powerful for their size and produced a room filling sound. I was not vastly impressed with the sound quality, but I would say they are really good for the price. The sound was loud and clear. I noticed some distortion in the highs at loud volume when a clip from Fast and Furious was playing. The highs weren't very impressive, but dialogue clarity was pretty good.

Initially he connected a 12" subwoofer. This produced very satisfying rumbles. However, I neither have the budget nor the inclination for a such a large subwoofer. So he then connected the cheapest subwoofer, which he said would cost somewhere around 13k, but are currently out of stock and I might have to wait for a month or so. This smaller subwoofer also felt powerful enough for a small room. However, the quality of the rumbles definitely deteriorated. I don't know the technical terms for these, but I would describe it thus - with the 12" sub, I could feel the bass more than I could hear it, but with the smaller sub, I could hear it more than feel it. I was far more aware of the bass being there, which was slightly unpleasant and distracting. I guess I can take care of that to an extent by reducing the volume of the sub.

Coming to the things I didn't like much, Mr. Bajaj seemed to be in a hurry throughout the demo. He didn't talk or explain anything to me, just sat there by the side as I watched one clip after another. They also didn't have a player for my own media, so I couldn't take clips which I had used in my previous demo, which restricts my ability to do a 1 to 1 comparison of different speakers I'm listening to. I guess part of it was because of my low budget. The whole thing would cost just 22k, which might not be enough for them to spend much time on. They also don't give any warranty on speakers and only 6 months on the subwoofer amplifier.

Overall, if someone is looking at getting a home theatre on a tight budget, I'd definitely recommend looking at these speakers. I doubt you're going to find anything this good for 9000 Rupees. I personally haven't seen anything other than the Micca Covo S for this price listed online.

Hey Gourav,
If you don’t have fancy for intl brand try auditioning once at Rave Audio ( Mulund) they mfgr quite good Speakers & woofer and are very reasonably priced too

I had spoken to Mr. Kunal, but was not able to visit him as Mulund is quite far and I've been a bit busy over the last few weeks. I actually did want to visit and check out his products.

Will see if I can visit over this weekend. I already have a demo scheduled for Mission speakers on Saturday.

Hey @gourav I'm looking for a pair of bookshelves and I'm in Mumbai too..do let me know if you get any good deals. Thanks

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back