Where will this madness end?

If i am not wrong even most BD titles are 5.1
These new 11.1 and all are just created by the avr to have a better surround effect (according to them)
I am not much into surround sound and for me while watching a movie I am quite fine with listening to sound on my headphones.
Still i would say for me 5.1 would be more then enough

IMHO - it is really a function of the size of the room. In a larger hometheater it is almost required to have side and rear speaker setup in a 7.1 config, though there are very few actual 7.1 mixes out there. What is does - as what I have seen is it creates a little more spaciousness in the rear. Whereas in a smaller theater just having 5.1 seems to suffice, especially dipolar. The front height channels - I used it it my older yamaha receiver which called them the front effects channels (7 years back even before the current crop of rcvrs) and using the DSP I swear made the front soundstage larger, even in smaller rooms. The additional width channels shown in your diagram - I am not so sure. So if you have a large space - read maybe 4500 - 5000 cu.ft - 7.1 or even 9.1 definitely seems to contribute.
Cheers
Sid

I think humans will evolve to have 11 ears one day. This is real foresight and forward thinking by audio manufacturers!! :eek:hyeah: :)

Cheers

Absolutely audio-engr nailed it:lol:. Remember back in the day late 80's b'fore Dolby pro logic became common - all you had was good old stereo (ofcourse there was quad even before that failed) and you hardly saw any cable ads or for that matter even speaker ads. Soon it bacame a bonanza for the speaker manufacturers and even so called high end stereo electronic mfrs. - everybody jumped on the multichannel bandwagon. Well for movie watching it is definitely a boon but i have yet to be convinced on the benefits of multichannel music listening. Feels wierd - bass from right rear, support vocalists from behind you and so on.
Cheers
Sid

Lets say we are considering a 9.1 system of PSB Alpha / MS Aviano / KEF iQ / Wharfedale Diamond series etc.. Each extra speaker along with brackets, cable, pipe etc be 10k i.e total 40k. Plus 10k in going for an amp which supports 9.1 speakers.

Is this 50k not spent better in upgrading the speakers to Quads / B&W / Monitor Audio Silver and sticking to normal 5.1.

Agree with Sid's comments. Also a "hayday" :yahoo: for amp, cable & speaker manufacturers.
For the general user, he needs to evaluate how much more from 5.1 does he need to extend - totally depending on his HT room size & of course his pocket !!

11.1 surround already. Where and when will this stop? Do we need them?

View attachment 1442

It depends on how content humans can get with anything!
I have a 2.1 amp and floorstander setup and am pretty happy with the sound from the movies.

The more you go into the 'setup' part, the more you will find that you are not equiped with high grade 'source' materials. The setup is only as good as the source.

Leaving these innovations (like 11.1, 1080p) aside, todays average movie watcher will be content with 2.1 sound in most situations and 5.1 wherever available. (2.1 sounds horrible on 5.1 setup anyway!) Anything more than that is just advertisement tactic IMO.

It feels good to watch a movie once in a while with 7.1.. But I would rather go to a good movie hall for the experience than shelling out tons of money on setup when source is nowhere to be seen. Ofcouse its just me. :)

i dont think anything above 7.1 or 7.2 is feasible or even get successful because of space constraints...these HT systems are majorly a thing of metro cities filled with crazy ppl...and do we have rooms like atriums in mansions in our cities..?? no no..15.4?? we still have em in theaters and even more too...just a thought!!
cheers!!

11.1 surround already. Where and when will this stop? Do we need them?

View attachment 1442

actually, all this is true (read ajinkya's post) - to reproduce the live event faithfully, one probably has to have 30,000 speakers with batches of them placed strategically with regard to height and width of the listening room, and each batch able to reproduce a part of the audible frequency spectrum, and yet, blend as a whole!

30000 speakers X 10k will definitely make me put the setup on the roads as I will be left with no house / office / car whatsoever.

No breaking walls to do cabling :yahoo::yahoo: also we will be able to replicate true outdoors for the action sequences.

actually, all this is true (read ajinkya's post) - to reproduce the live event faithfully, one probably has to have 30,000 speakers with batches of them placed strategically with regard to height and width of the listening room, and each batch able to reproduce a part of the audible frequency spectrum, and yet, blend as a whole!

30000 speakers X 10k will definitely make me put the setup on the roads as I will be left with no house / office / car whatsoever.

No breaking walls to do cabling :yahoo::yahoo: also we will be able to replicate true outdoors for the action sequences.

hi Raghav,

True!

and the recording engineer will also be in dire straits - seeing as to how he (females cannot be cutting edge - so, exempt) has to have 30,000 Schoeps microphones placed strategically!!!:)

regards.

edit - but really, 11.1 is an attempt in an effort to recreate the live event - and perhaps not a concerted effort to fatten the pockets of the bourgeoisie!:)

I have seen Sunfire receivers with 3 sub pre outs and that 15.4 and 22.7 :confused:channel will not be far away. One day manupunjab and Subhash will start a thread " where to keep the 17th channel speakers?" :yahoo:

hi everybody,
Is 2 channels say with good 3way speakers not sufficient for producing theatre effect?? I am not sure and I am not an audio engineer for that matter.All these mechanical drivers do is produce different sounds with a given input. Comon man a good processor and a matching software can shag a hell of sounds from these boxes. its logical, virtual thats what is going to matter not the number of speakers and woofers. yah blast me now man:licklips:

Hey devine soul of adio??
Where art though the supreme lord?
What happened to your old posts??

I was wondring from where you acquired this divine knowledge? Esp your source of Lcd power figures????

I have seen Sunfire receivers with 3 sub pre outs and that 15.4 and 22.7 :confused:channel will not be far away. One day manupunjab and Subhash will start a thread " where to keep the 17th channel speakers?" :yahoo:

+1 to the above post. Yes, of course, this is no exaggeration, we are all going to end up with using channels in 2 digits. Like, CRTs, LCD, HD-ready, Full HD, 3D HDTV, etc.........

So this madness is not going to end......

hi everybody,
Is 2 channels say with good 3way speakers not sufficient for producing theatre effect?? I am not sure and I am not an audio engineer for that matter.All these mechanical drivers do is produce different sounds with a given input. Comon man a good processor and a matching software can shag a hell of sounds from these boxes. its logical, virtual thats what is going to matter not the number of speakers and woofers. yah blast me now man:licklips:

Rajan, first of all you are doing illegal things according to yamaha , Denon and Onkyo. Who gave you the rights to watch movies in 2 Channel? You should have atleast a 7.1 receiver as of new law which is introduced in 2010 and you should have a Blueray player even though you watch only Dvds and you should also have a HD Projector even if you watch AXN or HBO and the cabling should be done for 13.2 ( future proof). Should have provision for 4 subwoofers. So kindly do something and change your setup before some officials from these company catches you.

It depends on how content humans can get with anything!
I have a 2.1 amp and floorstander setup and am pretty happy with the sound from the movies.

The more you go into the 'setup' part, the more you will find that you are not equiped with high grade 'source' materials. The setup is only as good as the source.

Leaving these innovations (like 11.1, 1080p) aside, todays average movie watcher will be content with 2.1 sound in most situations and 5.1 wherever available. (2.1 sounds horrible on 5.1 setup anyway!) Anything more than that is just advertisement tactic IMO.

It feels good to watch a movie once in a while with 7.1.. But I would rather go to a good movie hall for the experience than shelling out tons of money on setup when source is nowhere to be seen. Ofcouse its just me. :)

for me, 2 channels are enough even for movies.. i don't miss anything. i am not an action movie buff and even for action movies, i don't miss anything.

Hey devine soul of adio??
Where art though the supreme lord?
What happened to your old posts??

I was wondring from where you acquired this divine knowledge? Esp your source of Lcd power figures????

Hey hemant, I thought you stopped responding to this guy?? ;)
He has a Norge 2.0 setup which has the best sound in the world mind you..
And please don't waste his time and money talking about anything else.. :D

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back