Which 42" Plasma

heemanshu.midde

Hi All,

Had posted a message a few days ago regarding which TV to buy......got help from a few forum members regarding that.......Now it all boils down to 5 models with their resp prices and offers

1. Panasonic PV8 -
Rs 48000 In Vijay Sales Mumbai - saw it 2 days ago...the next day I went, they did not have the stock n cudnt confirm when will they get the new stock)
Rs. 57000 in E-Zone + Free 5 in 1 Touch Screen URC + Free Microwave

2. Panasonic PV80 -
Rs. 70000 in Vijay Sales Mumbai & Rs. 55

3. Panasonic PV 70 -
Rs 55000 in E-Zone + Free Microwave

4. Samsung 410 -
Rs. 59000

5. Samsung 450 -
Rs. 66000

Would want to know the difference between them since the difference between Panasonic PV8 & Samsung 450 is 22000!!!

Please also let me know which one to buy son since I plan to book by Diwali (Dont want to miss the offers)

Also a suggestion on a good DVD Player........Mrudil suggested Pioneer 610 but I was unable to get a dealer in Mumbai...........all the stores stock just LG, Samsung, Philips, Sony ets................If I dont get Pioneer can anyone suggest me a good DVD Player (in the range of 4-5k) with USB 2.0 and upscaling etc. Can bargain with the dealer for buying both............the TV & the DVD Player

Please note that when I went through the website of Panasonic India, I found a Godrej & Boyce number (When i called them they had no idea that they were associated with Panasonic Plasmas..!!!!)....??? and one VISUAL TECHNOLOGIES in Jogeshwari (W) - (did not call them though).......so are there only 2 service centres in Mumbai...???(see link... http://panasonic.co.in/web/Contents/MainCont.asp?ContId=1220)

And the Where-to-buy section for Mumbai had the Godrej & Boyce location and not surprisingly when I called them........they had no idea they had an association with Panasonic...!!
see link below... http://panasonic.co.in/web/Contents/MainCont.asp?ContId=1062

Regarding Burn-in problem of Plasma TV, I have a question - I use Tata Sky for TV and there is a LOGO of Tata sky at the bottom right of the screen which appears in all the channels.......does that mean when I view the TV (different channels) for say more than 5 hours continuously(it happens on holidays) , is it a risk of causing a burn-in...?

Thanx

Regards,
Heemanshu Midde

Last edited:
Heemanshu,

THe prices you have got are not accurate. 48k for the Panasonic PV8 sounds like an excellent deal, because the best I've heard for asingle purchase of the PV8 has been 51-53k. The Samsung 410 is available for the same amount and the Samsung 450 should be about 55-57k. Please look around till you find these prices. Forget the PV70, it's a previous generation television.

Your best options are between the PV8 and Samsung 410/450. I own the 410 so I am a little biased, but from reading a lot of forums it appears that while the Panasonic does blacks better, the Samsung does colour reproduction better, and generally has a better HD pictures, whereas the PV8 does a better SD picture. the Samsung looks better, and has more picture controls.

Both are excellent televisions, and good enough for price to be the key factor in your purchase decision. The PV80 is the same TV as the PV8 with some additional features which are largely superfluous. The Samsung 450 is also very similar, but has a higher contrast ratio. The benefits of this was not immediately apparent, when I compared them side by side. So I don't think the PV80 or the 450 are worth the extra money.

Please don't look at free microwaves and touch screen remotes to decide your TV purchase. Run a couple of DVDs on both the PV8 and the 410 and see which pleases you. If it's approximately the same, then see which one comes cheapest. You will not make a mistake with either choice. So buy and enjoy!!

Heemanshu,

Both Pv8 and samsung 410 are good model's,please audition them and then go for the one u like.
48k for pv8 is a good price, in bangalore they are selling the same for 53k.

For dvd players u can go for -

pioneer dv610
phillips 5996 ( available now as reported by other users )
LG dv 388
samsung 1080pk

Pioneer, philips and samsung are usb 2 models, LG is 1.1

The Tata Sky logo is a very low-contrast logo, and is very unlikely to cause even temporary image retention, forget burn-in. I have tata sky at home, and have watched a couple of movies etc., on my plasma using my Tata Sky and I have not noticed any TIR.

Hi All,

Regarding Burn-in problem of Plasma TV, I have a question - I use Tata Sky for TV and there is a LOGO of Tata sky at the bottom right of the screen which appears in all the channels.......does that mean when I view the TV (different channels) for say more than 5 hours continuously(it happens on holidays) , is it a risk of causing a burn-in...?

Thanx

Regards,
Heemanshu Midde

The Tata Sky logo is a very low-contrast logo, and is very unlikely to cause even temporary image retention, forget burn-in. I have tata sky at home, and have watched a couple of movies etc., on my plasma using my Tata Sky and I have not noticed any TIR.

Well like i have said many time before in other posts, the new generation plasma's do not have any burn in issue, just ensure that for first 150 hours you don't go full steam, keep it at 50% contrast and brightness, let it run in, then u can do whatever settings you like, you will never have burn in issues,

All new plasma's have anti burn in programs that run in the background and you can leave them always on -
Like on my sammy i have all while, pixel shift etc,

i always have the pixel shift on at 4-4-1, and never faced any burn in issues i have been watching tata sky for over an year on my plasma.

Yet if you still feel there is little image retention, use the all white option and it will remove any image left on the screen, as it turns all pixels bright white,

Just run in your plasma for the first 150 hours and then enjoy ...

Hi Guys,

I just came home after booking the Panasonic Plasma PV8 for 47990 at Vijay Sales, Mumbai......... :D .....They said that I will get the delivery by tomorrow........and the Demo will come within 3 working days...............Thank you all for helping me so much in deciding the TV..........:)

Will give the feedback about it in the days to come........

BTW i had gone to a couple of shops to try out the DVD Players.

The ones I had shortlisted (as per some of the forums) were
1. Pioneer 410
2. Pioneer 610
3. Samsung 1080PK
4. LG 388
5. Philips 5986
6. Philips 5996
7.Sony 708

I rejected Sony because it dosent have a USb drive, and since I have all my movies in my External HDD, I thought having a USB would be an added advantage

I had carried my 4GB pen drive (FAT32 formatted) to test the Players
LG 388 costed 3590 at Vijay Sales and played all my movies (.avi, .dat, and also .srt - the subtitle file)

Pioneer 610 - No one had it in stock but Alfa said they can give it to me for 6000 and "The Shop" will give it to me for 6500 w/o bill and 9500 with bill

Tried Pioneer 310, but surprisingly it did not play my .dat file

Pioneer costs about 4500

Samsung 1080 Pk costs around 4900 in both Alfa and "The Shop"

"The Shop" dosent stock Philips whereas Alfa saif they just have Philips 5986 which costs 4900.......

Am keeping some time till I buy the DVD player.......maybe a week.........would appreciate if you can guys can help me buy the DVD player also...............thanks again........

Regards,
Heemanshu

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back