Which APC UPS for only NAS or maybe HT system?

terrible

I live in Mumbai and have very very few power outages. But now, my NAS, DS916+ has more than just movies and music but important work stuff and I was thinking of protecting it further from the few outages we do face. But there's a bit of a scenario to this, as the only place I have where I can place the UPS is within where were my entire system is, in the living room. I could also get one, which could take care of my HT system along with the NAS, but don't know if such a large UPS can be placed within where the entire system is. It would be appreciated if someone can suggest a UPS that can help even restart the NAS once power is back, or is that not possible? And one that runs on internal batteries.

Just use a simple desktop UPS.
Keep in mind, a larger UPS will have some fan noise.
That is usually recommended to be placed outside of the listening room.

Just use a simple desktop UPS.
Keep in mind, a larger UPS will have some fan noise.
That is usually recommended to be placed outside of the listening room.

Guess then I'll just get a UPS for my NAS. Could you suggest one that I should buy?

If it's just nas and your society has generator back-up then all you need is probably a ups that is rated for 10-15 mins of backup. I use an iball ups for my desktop, router and minidsp.

MaSh

If you use a good quality NAS HDD, they will be resilient to the very few power outages that Mumbai offers. So my advise would be you shouldnt need one.

If it's just nas and your society has generator back-up then all you need is probably a ups that is rated for 10-15 mins of backup. I use an iball ups for my desktop, router and minidsp.

MaSh

No generator back up. But like I said, probably one or two outages a year.

If you use a good quality NAS HDD, they will be resilient to the very few power outages that Mumbai offers. So my advise would be you shouldnt need one.

I use WD Red and Seagate Ironwolf

No generator back up. But like I said, probably one or two outages a year.
Oh alright, basic ups then is sufficient to gratefully shut it down on those rare occasions. Maybe you can hook up router and other small devices on it too.

MaSh

Try to find a compatible UPS which can auto shutdown the NAS in case of power failure. But you have to shell out more for such an UPS.

I got the Luminous 600VA pro during last independence day sale. I am surprised with its coverage and power. How long of backup are you looking at? I needed only for small duration when the society generators turn on - but that little device can power my 55in TV, Yamaha v585, Tata sky, router and Rythmik L12 sub - all of them for those 20 seconds duration. I did a quick review here:

I use APC BX600C equivalent that I bought long long back. Have my synology NAS, 1 gigabit switch, main router all connected, and it up and running for almost 7 years now. Quite happy....

I use APC BX600C equivalent that I bought long long back. Have my synology NAS, 1 gigabit switch, main router all connected, and it up and running for almost 7 years now. Quite happy....

How reliable is the APC as I have been running my Synology NAS, gigabit switch, Google home router, modem and whenever there is a power cut even though I have a sinewave inverter which kicks in immediately my NAS shuts off. Was creating a problem as I run my NAS 24/7 including the switch, router and modem. Then I moved to a simple i-ball Nirantar UPS and this works perfectly and my NAS does not get switched off with power cuts with the inverter kicks in immediately in battery mode.

How reliable is the APC as I have been running my Synology NAS, gigabit switch, Google home router, modem and whenever there is a power cut even though I have a sinewave inverter which kicks in immediately my NAS shuts off. Was creating a problem as I run my NAS 24/7 including the switch, router and modem. Then I moved to a simple i-ball Nirantar UPS and this works perfectly and my NAS does not get switched off with power cuts with the inverter kicks in immediately in battery mode.
I am a happy APC user, and I can say that it is very reliable. Zero problems in these 7-8 years.

I live in Mumbai and have very very few power outages. But now, my NAS, DS916+ has more than just movies and music but important work stuff and I was thinking of protecting it further from the few outages we do face. But there's a bit of a scenario to this, as the only place I have where I can place the UPS is within where were my entire system is, in the living room. I could also get one, which could take care of my HT system along with the NAS, but don't know if such a large UPS can be placed within where the entire system is. It would be appreciated if someone can suggest a UPS that can help even restart the NAS once power is back, or is that not possible? And one that runs on internal batteries.

This one should suffice your requirements. It's an industrial-grade UPS and pure Sinewave output, switchover time is 2ms (A very important factor for NAS devices).

Last edited:
This one should suffice your requirements. It's an industrial-grade UPS and pure Sinewave output, switchover time is 2ms (A very important factor for NAS devices).

This looks good to me. You think I can plug my HT or may be components of it like Cambridge Audio CXR 200 or Oppo UDP 205; along with the NAS?

I use an APC ups for my NAS. Zero problems.

In fact I have 3 APC UPSs at home - 1 each for my router, PC and NAS (they are all in different locations in my house.

I would suggest get BX-1100C

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back