Which AVR to buy?

hubballi

Hi Friends,

I am in US and flying back this weekend. I am planning to buy an AVR and like most of newbies I am confused. I do 65% Music and 35% Movies. I have short listed between Marantz 6003, 7002 and Denon 2809CI

Any other/better choices in USD1000 range?

I need your Experts advise and opinions to help decide. Time being tight request you guys to share your thoughts as early as possible.

I already read some previous threads about the voltage conversion and it was truely informational (especially the inputs by VenkatCR).

Thanks to all of you in advance for your assistance.

Regards,
Arun

Where are you in the US? In NYC, you can go to JR showroom and in person see if there are AVRs available with 230V.

Hi Friends,

I am in US and flying back this weekend. I am planning to buy an AVR and like most of newbies I am confused. I do 65% Music and 35% Movies. I have short listed between Marantz 6003, 7002 and Denon 2809CI

I need your Experts advise and opinions to help decide. Time being tight request you guys to share your thoughts as early as possible.

I already read some previous threads about the voltage conversion and it was truely informational (especially the inputs by VenkatCR).

Regards,
Arun

Hi Arun
I understand your budget - that said, if you're up in the 1K category and can actually stretch it; there's an outstanding deal on onecall.com right now. Its for the Sunfire Theater Grand III. For some reason, onecall is selling this USD 5 K receiver for 1.5K (ground shipping included). You cannot go wrong with a Sunfire - ive had the pleasure of listening just once in Park City, Utah. It's a different class altogether. Not a thousand dollar receiver - much much beyond it :)
Sunfire Theater Grand III Receiver (TGR-3) Black Receiver - OneCall.com - check it out. It's a rather tight deadline you have though ...
good luck with your decision.
cheers!
Vaibhav

I understand your budget - that said, if you're up in the 1K category and can actually stretch it; there's an outstanding deal on onecall.com right now. Its for the Sunfire Theater Grand III. For some reason, onecall is selling this USD 5 K receiver for 1.5K (ground shipping included).

Vaibhav, though the Sunfire is an outstanding product, the model you have suggested seems to be an old model. It has a number of shortcomings. Though I can understand the lack of upconversion, I am concerned about the lack of support for the new HD Codecs. Unfortunately, even their new model, the TGR-401 does not seem to support the new audio codecs.

But yes, if you can live with these shortcoming, the Sunfire will deliver superb sound. You also have to match speakers carefully as the Sunfire is rated for 4 ohms output.

Cheers

@ venkatcr - sir, i just fell for the sound - it was an even older model of sunfire that i listened to. they're not onkyos or HKs with enough dazzling lights like downtown tokyo or times square - but more like a grand canyon, awe inspiringly huge! If you can get there, your jaw drops (and stays dropped for hours ;) ... if you catch my drift ....

Hi Friends,

Regards,
Arun

Between Marantz and Denon, the major difference I found while auditioning is, Denon is bit forward sounding than Marantz...what I actually mean is high frequencies are bit more pronounced in Denon. This will give an edge to Denon in movies, but if paired with bright speakers music listening experience can be tiring. Dont take me wrong, both are great makes. but based on your listening preference and speaker choice, you should decide between them.

as for other suggestions, may be you can check this out...
Amazon.com: Denon AVR-3808CI 7.1-Channel Multizone Home Theater Receiver with Networking: Electronics

if you are ok with getting used stuff, you could check out sites like audiogon.com, where you get great deals on used gear. May be you will get a killer separates combo for $1000....good luck.

Hello All,

Thanks fore all your valuable inputs. I listened to Marantz 6003 and Denon 2809 and liked the Marantz. I finally chose and bought it for USD 700.

Vaibhav, the deal you shared is awasome but I could not stretch further. If I had then I would have been forced to cut on the speakers.

All, I now want to buy speakers and a Sub in India. My budget is INR 75000 max. Which will be good set and which place will be good to pick? I am based in Pune but I can visit Mumbai.Bombay to buy them.

Please advise.

Once again thanks to all for your valuable inputs.....

congrats on your purchase. That receiver is very high in my own priority list - but right now I am not sure whether I should invest in receiver or in stereo hifi.
Where in India are you?
You may also buy a good projector and/ or cd/ dvd player in the US.

Hi

I know its short notice but I would look to buy separates such as pre- pro and power amp fro that kind of budget + a bit more. it will beat AVRs most times. Go visit some audio stores and pick even demo models.

Where are you located? I may know some people or through common friend if it is a major city/destination.

Hi Friends,

Regards,
Arun

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back