Which bookshelf speakers should I Buy?

Amit Satam

Hello Everyone,

After using my Polk Audio S15 only in stereo setup for more than 5 + years , planning to upgrade only bookshelf speakers.

Current Stereo setup:
Speakers: Polk Audio S15
Amp: DIY Stereo amp 60 watts/ per channel {8 ohms}

Please suggest bookshelf speakers to add to this under my stereo steup under 55,000/- INR.

Please help. Thankyou in advance!!

Hello Everyone,

After using my Polk Audio S15 only in stereo setup for more than 5 + years , planning to upgrade only bookshelf speakers.

Current Stereo setup:

Please suggest bookshelf speakers to add to this under my stereo steup under 55,000/- INR.

Klipsh ref premium or rederence

Wht about Polk R200 or KEF Q350 ? as i am getting around 55K.
But not sure if both of these supports 60 rms stereo amp.
From my own experience, i’d whole heartedly recommend the KEF Q350 over and above the Klipsch Reference Premiere 600M for one reason alone - the Klipsch aren’t worth the asking price, not even close. Why so? Here goes:

1. The build quality is shockingly poor for a bookshelf priced close to 90k or for that matter, even 50k. The Mission QX-2 has far better build quality at 26k. Btw, the KEF Q350s aren't great either but don’t feel nearly as cheap as Klipsch.

2. The SQ is at best comparable to the aforementioned KEFs. From my experience however, most people prefer the KEFs as they have a more prominent and meatier midrange that sounds better with vocals whereas the highs aren’t a slouch either.

The Klipsch’s are not bad speakers, just not greater than 50k good.

Coming to the KEFs, you can drive them with 60 watts easily. Ive driven them with far weaker amps and they’ve held up well.

P.S.- never heard the Polk R200 but well worth an audition if you can manage.

Wht about Polk R200 or KEF Q350 ? as i am getting around 55K.
But not sure if both of these supports 60 rms stereo amp.
I have the R200 and the manual says you need atleast 70w/ channel to get the best out of it....but recommended amplifier is atleast 100w to get the full dynamics if you are not using sub

I have the R200 and the manual says you need atleast 70w/ channel to get the best out of it....but recommended amplifier is atleast 100w to get the full dynamics if you are not using sub
Thank you for sharing insights. I have booked an appointment with PROFX in Mumbai & there would test my existing amp with R200/R100 too.

Will let you know shortly on its feedback.

I recently got a Dynaudio Emit M10 for lot less than your budget. This is a made in denmark speaker before production shifted overseas.

It is absolutely superb for the money and the entry level KEFs/Polks and similar speakers don't stand a chance.

I recently got a Dynaudio Emit M10 for lot less than your budget. This is a made in denmark speaker before production shifted overseas.

It is absolutely superb for the money and the entry level KEFs/Polks and similar speakers don't stand a chance.
I have the step up from the M10 i.e. the Excite X14. While better than the KEF Q350, the latter isn't a slouch in comparison either and stacks up well.

If i remember correctly, what hi fi also hailed the Q350 as better than the M10. And I've usually found it's recommendations to hold me in good stead. 🙂

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

Current Stereo setup:

Consider Elac Debut DBR 62, Dali Oberon 1

Both have good reviews and users feedback

[ Probably I would end up with either one of these or Oberon 3, soon ]

Last edited:
I have the step up from the M10 i.e. the Excite X14. While better than the KEF Q350, the latter isn't a slouch in comparison either and stacks up well.

If i remember correctly, what hi fi also hailed the Q350 as better than the M10. And I've usually found it's recommendations to hold me in good stead. 🙂
X14 isn't really a step up - it's an older model with older drivers. It sounds different.

As for the Q350, i bought that too from amazon at the same time and returned it. I could not tolerate it for more than 30 minutes. Something was inherently wrong with its tonality. It was actually cheaper than the dyn by 5000 rupees.

This Dynaudio on the other hand, I could listen for hours in one go. I have other high end speakers - ATC SCM19 and Focal Electra 1008 Be and those are in a different league but let me just say the Dynaudio punches way above it's weight.

X14 isn't really a step up - it's an older model with older drivers. It sounds different.
They are indeed an older model but were sold alongside the M10 if I’m not mistaken - replaced later by the Evoke. And if i’m not doubly mistaken, the M10 has also been replaced by the Emit 10?

Anecdotal information i’ve come across from users who’ve heard both does suggest that the X14s are a definite cut above the M10 or for that matter, even the M20 :) While every speaker sounds different, i do emphatically believe there are certain attributes that one can indeed judge on an objective level. Nevertheless, i’ll have to reserve my comments till i do a proper side by side amongst the M10 and X14.
As for the Q350, i bought that too from amazon at the same time and returned it. I could not tolerate it for more than 30 minutes. Something was inherently wrong with its tonality. It was actually cheaper than the dyn by 5000 rupees.
I agree, the Q350s were stonking good value some time back. They were going for 41k when i got them in 2018 while the Dyn M10s at that time were 50 - 55k.
This Dynaudio on the other hand, I could listen for hours in one go.
I believe i can relate to what you’re saying. I have other speakers that are objectively better than the Q350s, such as the Wharfedale Evo 4.2, but I prefer the former which is not only down to its tonality but more a case of a clever amalgam of its attributes. Funnily, its been the most endearing speaker to those who’ve auditioned my line up. To my mind (and ears), The designers have truly made lemon pie out of the lemon budget they had to work with.

Nevertheless, Could it be that you like the tonality of the Dyns more than the KEFs which did not agree with you? 🤔

To elucidate, one of my more trusted reviewers opined that the M10s made his ears bleed whereas the newer Emit 10s were a pleasant departure from it.
I have other high end speakers - ATC SCM19 and Focal Electra 1008 Be
The focal electra 1008 be are very well regarded high end speakers of their time but as some would say, older model with older drivers (don’t count me in that camp). 😂
and those are in a different league but let me just say the Dynaudio punches way above it's weight.
Whoa! Thats what i usually say (or used to say) about the KEFs. :D

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back