Which DTH & Why?

Which DTH service did you choose?

• Total voters
I have a Big TV HD DVR and I am quite happy with the picture quality and the sound quality. Menu navigation while not as fast as regular cable can be endured. Recharging via the net is quick and painless, once one has mastered the art of navigating through all the electronic instructions and find the operator hidden behind it all. I have taken the one year pack Diamond Pack with NG HD which I think cost me around 3300/- or so. I opted for Big TV as it offered HD DVR and MPEG4 technology.

In my case, the Reliance support staff were also good enough to entertain me by initially bringing along with them the regular STB and when I enquired as to why I could not see the HDMI port or the duel line from the LNB, I was nicely told that I needed to pay Rs. 7000/- odd for it, in spite of having paid Rs. 7000/- odd for it. After the laughter subsided, they quickly corrected their mistake with lots of apologies and am not a person to hold a grudge.

Regards,

Sunil

Hi Guys,

Well all the DTH companies are the same in fleecing the customers.:) But i chose Tatasky ecause of their service apart form the picture quality including rh recent HD channels.The response from the support staff is fast and business like.First disaapointment was when TS flaunted the Starplus pics as HD.:rolleyes:Not that i watch the channel,but didn't expect this from them.

cheers,
sri

Today I had the opportunity to demo 'TataSky HD' and one issue stood out. Why does 'National Geographic HD' have chinese subtitles? This is not the case with either 'Sun Direct HD' or 'Dish True HD' then why so with 'TataSky HD'?

Hi Sanjay

I got Airtel HD DTH with my LG 50PJ560 plasma, and even I get Chinese subtitles in Nat Geo HD. Currently this is the only HD channel I get. More HD channels are expected to be added by the end of the year.

Just thought I'd let you know. Also, the picture quality on Nat Geo HD is pretty good, though I am getting only stereo sound and not DD 5.1. Someone else on the forum had mentioned that Nat Geo HD on Tata Sky did not have 5.1 sound too. Kindly confirm the same.

---Venkat

Today I had the opportunity to demo 'TataSky HD' and one issue stood out. Why does 'National Geographic HD' have chinese subtitles? This is not the case with either 'Sun Direct HD' or 'Dish True HD' then why so with 'TataSky HD'? Even more importantly does it not bother you guys who have 'TataSky HD'? Have you guys not bothered to complain to 'TataSky' and if you have complained, then what is the 'silly/stupid' excuse given by them?
To me it seems as if TataSky is using the National Geographic HD chinese feed, which is meant for China and is different from the feed being used by the other Indian DTH operators. Which would also means that since technically each feed is a seperate channel, TataSky is breaking the law by showing a channel that does not have permission/license to uplink/downlink into India.

Tata Sky is beaming NGC HD Asian Feed. These chinese subtitles are present in Airtel HD and Reliance BIG TV HD too.

However, even Dish tv hd and SD HD are also using the same feed but why r these not in these 2 DTH's ?

Hi Sanjay

I got Airtel HD DTH with my LG 50PJ560 plasma, and even I get Chinese subtitles in Nat Geo HD. Currently this is the only HD channel I get. More HD channels are expected to be added by the end of the year.

Just thought I'd let you know. Also, the picture quality on Nat Geo HD is pretty good, though I am getting only stereo sound and not DD 5.1. Someone else on the forum had mentioned that Nat Geo HD on Tata Sky did not have 5.1 sound too. Kindly confirm the same.

---Venkat

It has 5.1 sound.

Tata Sky is beaming NGC HD Asian Feed. These chinese subtitles are present in Airtel HD and Reliance BIG TV HD too.

However, even Dish tv hd and SD HD are also using the same feed but why r these not in these 2 DTH's ?

As of now, there are no chinese subtitles in NGC HD in Airtel HD.

I have both 'Sun Direct HD' and 'Dish True HD'. 'National Geographic HD' on both 'Sun Direct HD' and 'Dish True HD' have never had any Chinese sub-titles. It is obvious that they are using a different feed than 'TataSky'. Regarding 5.1 audio, 'National Geographic HD' on 'Sun Direct HD' has had 5.1 audio from day one. 'Dish True HD' on the other hand does not have 5.1 audio at all and this is irrespective of channels. In fact 'Dish TV' has admitted that they are not equipped to provide DD 5.1 audio at all and they have even stopped advertising 5.1 audio.

The inepteness and incompetence of Indian companies just never ceases to amaze me. How can TataSky not figure out why they have chinese sub-titles on NG HD. If one company can do it right, then there is absolutely no excuse for the others nto to be able to do so. As for Dish TV, their whole management needs to fired for designing a hD system without DD 5.1 audio.

I have both 'Sun Direct HD' and 'Dish True HD'. 'National Geographic HD' on both 'Sun Direct HD' and 'Dish True HD' have never had any Chinese sub-titles. It is obvious that they are using a different feed than 'TataSky'. Regarding 5.1 audio, 'National Geographic HD' on 'Sun Direct HD' has had 5.1 audio from day one. 'Dish True HD' on the other hand does not have 5.1 audio at all and this is irrespective of channels. In fact 'Dish TV' has admitted that they are not equipped to provide DD 5.1 audio at all and they have even stopped advertising 5.1 audio.

The inepteness and incompetence of Indian companies just never ceases to amaze me. How can TataSky not figure out why they have chinese sub-titles on NG HD. If one company can do it right, then there is absolutely no excuse for the others nto to be able to do so. As for Dish TV, their whole management needs to fired for designing a hD system without DD 5.1 audio.

Airtel HD removed these subtitles 2-3 days back, hope that even TS removes it as well. I have checked all SAT websites and found that there is only one NGC HD feed that Asian Feed. As wel Reliance too has these chinese subtitles

0bxHx.jpg

As far as Dish tv goes , they have mentioned in their website like Theater Like sound experience :eek:hyeah:

What do they mean Digital Stereophonic?? :D

Dish TruHD Advantage: High Definition Set Top Box, Dish TruHD TV Box

Ok it was removed 2 days back only I guess.

No, it was removed since last 5-6 days. Actually, Airtel's case is interesting. When it launched NGC HD, there were no subtitles. But occasionally, subtitles would come(for 5-10 seconds), then subtitles became 24x7 for around 30-35 days, again now no subtitles at all.

Last edited:
I'm based in Mumbai. I used to have Airtel and now have Tata Sky HD. I guess Tata Sky seems to be the best of the worst. One major issue with Tata Sky is that they take too long to attend onsite calls(in Mumbai atleast). I live on the 12th Flr and due to high wind factor, the dish got de-shaped and the Set top box lost signal.
Unbelievably they took 4 days after the complaint to come and check the fault and another 3 to change it. Also they made me pay for the new dish saying damage is not covered under warranty.
In todays world it's tough(rather impossible) to be without Satellite TV for a week...

I'm based in Mumbai. I used to have Airtel and now have Tata Sky HD. I guess Tata Sky seems to be the best of the worst. One major issue with Tata Sky is that they take too long to attend onsite calls(in Mumbai atleast). I live on the 12th Flr and due to high wind factor, the dish got de-shaped and the Set top box lost signal.
Unbelievably they took 4 days after the complaint to come and check the fault and another 3 to change it. Also they made me pay for the new dish saying damage is not covered under warranty.
In todays world it's tough(rather impossible) to be without Satellite TV for a week...

This how they did the poll and i can see some drawbacks "If the household used DTH,it was considered a respondent household and the housewife was selected as the respondent."

Hi,

which dth is compatible with NTSC TVs. I was told that sun DTH will support ntsc tvs. I request help from sun dth users; will you pl check the menu -output for ntsc support and let me know.

Tata sky only supports PAL tvs.

cheers

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back