Which DVD player? Pioneer or Oppo

Guru,

Buying equipment from abroad is always dicey especially without warranty, but to tell you the truth I have been doing it for years and never had any issue. I have had Indian versions of Samsung go bad though, but never stuff brought from abroad.

I was earlier staying in Singapore for some time and had my Denon AVR bought there about 3 years back, I've moved back to mumbai now and my Denon got stuck into standby mode. The guys at PROFX just refused to take in my AVR. They finally relented and took it for service about 20days back. A measly transistor has blown and they have still not repaired, probably punishing me since I did not buy from them...:mad:

On the other side, I've also been buying lot of other equipment from abroad and have had no problems... This is luck

A few points to keep in mind.

Oppo makes three players currently. The 980, the 981, and the current flagship - the 983. The 980 uses Mediatek scaling engine. The 981 uses Faroudja Video Processing for upconversion and upscaling. The 983 uses VRS by Anchor Bay a completely different chip set for video processing.

The best amongst these for video processing is, of course, the 983. The 980 and 983 play music well, while the 981 does not have the same circuitry for music. Oppo is going to stop production and distribution of the 983 very shortly and replace it with their BD Player that has all the features of the 983 and additional features for Blu-Ray processing,

Given Oppo's current pricing in India, the BD player may well cost between 45,000 to 50,000. At that price it may not be worth it at all.

I find the Pioneer 610 to be an excellent player also. It uses the Mediatek 1389 family of DVD SOC chips which, according to MediaTek, incorporates advanced features such as MPEG-4 video decoder, high quality TV encoder, USB, card reader, and state-of-the-art de-interlace processing. Some of specs are:

• 192 kHz/24-bit D/A Converter
  • Built-in Dolby Digital and DTS Decoder (5.1 channel)
  • Total Harmonic Distortion 0,0023 %
  • Frequency Response 4 - 44 Hz
  • Signal-to-Noise Ratio 115 dB
  • Dynamic Range 100 dB

Cheers

A few points to keep in mind.

Oppo makes three players currently. The 980, the 981, and the current flagship - the 983. The 980 uses Mediatek scaling engine. The 981 uses Faroudja Video Processing for upconversion and upscaling. The 983 uses VRS by Anchor Bay a completely different chip set for video processing.

The best amongst these for video processing is, of course, the 983. The 980 and 983 play music well, while the 981 does not have the same circuitry for music. Oppo is going to stop production and distribution of the 983 very shortly and replace it with their BD Player that has all the features of the 983 and additional features for Blu-Ray processing,

Given Oppo's current pricing in India, the BD player may well cost between 45,000 to 50,000. At that price it may not be worth it at all.

I find the Pioneer 610 to be an excellent player also. It uses the Mediatek 1389 family of DVD SOC chips which, according to MediaTek, incorporates advanced features such as MPEG-4 vid.eo decoder, high quality TV encoder, USB, card reader, and state-of-the-art de-interlace processing. Some of specs are:

• 192 kHz/24-bit D/A Converter
  • Built-in Dolby Digital and DTS Decoder (5.1 channel)
  • Total Harmonic Distortion 0,0023 %
  • Frequency Response 4 - 44 Hz
  • Signal-to-Noise Ratio 115 dB
  • Dynamic Range 100 dB

Cheers

Hi, You said you will compare Pio610 & oppo980.
Did you try that?
Pls.reviews them together.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back