which DVD player?

gobble

Hi

I was considering the oppo DV-980 as my primary use will be for audio. However I have some doubts about if this player is suitable for the following requirements:

1. USB connect should allow external HDD filesystem navigation

2. Capability to play WMV/FLAC encoded files. I know the disc player supports WMA, but will the HDD files encoded in WMA/WMV/FLAC also play?

2.a Will the Oppo allow playlists to be created from my HDD collection?

3. If 1 & 2 don't work, then option is to transcode my ripped HDD collection and burn DVD-A and play it downmixed to 2 ch. stereo. Objective is not to try and acheive the same dynamic range or quality that the studio mastered DVD-A will give rather to have a large navigable collection in a single disk - cheaper than buying cd changers. My source will be the 2ch stereo encoded files anyways.

4. In the case of 3 might as well go for the DV-981-HD right? Only I heard that 980 gives more faithful sound reproduction. I will have no use of the DVD-A bass management feature or the on-board Faroudja DCDi video processing chip as my PC monitor Dell 2408WFP already has this chip. ( So why pay for it?) so 2 ch downmix for DVD-A is my only concern.

5. I want only video to go via HDMI and transfer the stereo to my amp via analog out. Is it possible? I think not, but possibly via monitor > amp aux input right?

Thanks a lot for any inputs you might have.

Regards

Hi

I was considering the oppo DV-980 as my primary use will be for audio. However I have some doubts about if this player is suitable for the following requirements:
Excellent choice as I have been using one for about 4 yrs now.

Yes it does via USB 2.0

2. Capability to play WMV/FLAC encoded files. I know the disc player supports WMA, but will the HDD files encoded in WMA/WMV/FLAC also play?

No support for flac. It is a very expensive patent to get rights for though the quality is better than 128 kbps mp3 rips or wma.

Currently no SD DVD player plays HD files. And Oppo is no exception.

Do you mean creating playlists on the Oppo? If so, no. However it allows windows explorer type folder/sub folder (7 levels deep I guess) traversal

As alternative you could use your favourite MP3 player conected to the USB drive and use playlists on it.

3. If 1 & 2 don't work, then option is to transcode my ripped HDD collection and burn DVD-A and play it downmixed to 2 ch. stereo. Objective is not to try and acheive the same dynamic range or quality that the studio mastered DVD-A will give rather to have a large navigable collection in a single disk - cheaper than buying cd changers. My source will be the 2ch stereo encoded files anyways.

Unless you are using SACD or DVD-A or newer audio formats DOlby HD etc., you will be listening to 2 channel anyways. so this should not be a big problem.

4. In the case of 3 might as well go for the DV-981-HD right? Only I heard that 980 gives more faithful sound reproduction. I will have no use of the DVD-A bass management feature or the on-board Faroudja DCDi video processing chip as my PC monitor Dell 2408WFP already has this chip. ( So why pay for it?) so 2 ch downmix for DVD-A is my only concern.

980 is excellent for audio though video (only in comparison to 981) is a bit weak but it is no slouch. 981 audio is comparitvely weaker than 980's video.

I had both at one point and decided to keep the 980 for its music repro.

5. I want only video to go via HDMI and transfer the stereo to my amp via analog out. Is it possible? I think not, but possibly via monitor > amp aux input right?

Yes its possible for video to go from oppo to our monitor. Audio can go from Oppo -> AVR via analog outputs or Oppo -> Pre-amp -> power amp

My setting are below:

Video Output Resolution> 720p
Speaker Setup Page > Down-mix to 5.1 CH (Also works fine set at 7.1)
Speaker Setup Page > Front Speaker to Small (even though they are floor standers. This is to get most bass going to sub)
Speaker Setup Page > Center Speaker to Small
Speaker Setup Page > Surround Speaker to Small
Speaker Setup Page > S. Back Speaker to Small

Speaker Setup Page > Subwoofer to On
Audio Setup Page > Digital Output to Raw
Audio Setup Page > HDMI Audio to No/Off
Audio Setup Page > SACD Output to PCM
General Setup Page > SACD Priority to Multi-Channel
General Setup Page > DVD-Audio Mode to DVD-Audio

I use toslink as well as multi-channel analog output to a 5.1 system.

Hi

Thanks a lot for any inputs you might have.

Regards

Where is oppo 980 available ?
Whats the price?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back