which handycam to buy

redd

hello to all the wellknown members and experts in this forum.
i am planning to buy a handycam and need your suggestions or recommendations.i need to buy a handycam to record my six month old babys growth milestones.i think i may not need a handycam which is costly,which has HD resolution,which has a lot many additional features(no use to me).i heard these cameras use hard disks/sd cards for recording video and audio.please tell me which handycam(sd card/harddisk) is practically useful on a long run.my budject is 15000 and i can strech it to another 2000 if you say so.i had a HD handycam in my mind but due to financial problems i am settling for some thing which is cheaper(i may buy it after few years).please give your opinions regarding this as many of you out there will using handycams.eagerly waiting for your replies,thanks in advance.

Best wishes to venkatcr and other big heads in this forum.it is because of you i have gained a lot of knowledge in audio&video.thank you.

i am planning to buy a handycam and need your suggestions or recommendations.i need to buy a handycam to record my six month old babys growth milestones.i think i may not need a handycam which is costly,which has HD resolution,which has a lot many additional features(no use to me).i heard these cameras use hard disks/sd cards for recording video and audio.please tell me which handycam(sd card/harddisk) is practically useful on a long run.my budject is 15000 and i can strech it to another 2000 if you say so.i had a HD handycam in my mind but due to financial problems i am settling for some thing which is cheaper(i may buy it after few years).please give your opinions regarding this as many of you out there will using handycams.eagerly waiting for your replies,thanks in advance.

Best wishes to venkatcr and other big heads in this forum.it is because of you i have gained a lot of knowledge in audio&video.thank you.

dude i picked up a panasonic gs35 for 18k nearly 5 years back from grey and its still being put to good use (same case as yours now). Trust do not go for a Sony - the image is yellowish in tinge though indoor shots are good. I would suggest you go for JVC (in that segment and you can opt for a mini SD recorder instead of a HDD based player. Heard too many horror stories of it going bad though transferring is convenient. Since you are getting it for casual use - that should be fine.

I would have recommended the panasonic - for outdoor shots its great but suffers noise in lowlight conditions

Hi although I do nopt owe any word of wisdom
1) I heard HDD gives problems and DVD too more problematic...ex[erts please confirm
2) There are cameras with flash memory now --- they sccept memory cards toooo!!!
3) Check samsung - flash memory cam
4) Also check Sanyo Xanti ... too small & Nice
5) Where is your location - I think in Mumbai Vijay sales is offering JVC with Mini DV casette for RS K!!

thanks suprateep and hemanth for your prompt replies.i am from chennai and i wish form members from chennai too can give their valuable advice.

buddy

its good to know that u have learnt a lot in Home Theatre segment..

but i will suggest you smthin..
regarding the cameras this is not the right place..

u can discuss things out here..
bt i doubt u will get any expert advice out here with all technical and practicalities of the product..

so i suggest you to log into the gadgetry forums, they will be able to provide you deep information, so that you can record some nice clips of your child...

Best of Luck

Hi redd, check this link before you buy your camcorder.

camcorderinfo.com

camcorder ratings

I still prefer mini dv cam recorders as there is no high video compression involved.
I bought my Panasonic PVGS 180 3 CCD camcorder for 18k 2 years back, great value for money, excellent colour rendition because of 3 CCD chip.
Most of the hard disc camcorders use heavy compression, so image quality is not as good as 3 CCD mini DV versons. Even today broadcast industry use only DV camcorders [tape media] because of video quality. Post production is not a problem, tape info can be easily transferred to computer through IEEE card through firewire without loss of video & audio quality. After editing master quality dvd can be made.

With HDD & SD card camcorders you are compromising on video quality.
If you want near broadcast quality video, go for 3 CCD camcorder which costs less than 20k.

Regards,
Anil

Last edited:
I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago, but did not want to spend a bucketfull of dough on a camcorder. What I did was click videos with my digital camera itself. My canon, some 3 years old model a620 or something like that, gives me videos at 640x480 resolution at 30 fps. The sound is mono 8 bit pcm, not all that great though. For documentation purposes, it suits my needs fine. With a 4 gb card, at full resolution and fps, you can click about 40 minutes of video at dvd quality resolution, 30fps is better than a movie's frame rate. Please do check out this option, it might be enough for your needs. I am sure that now a days you can digital cameras that can better this resolution at a very decent price.

I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago, but did not want to spend a bucketfull of dough on a camcorder. What I did was click videos with my digital camera itself. My canon, some 3 years old model a620 or something like that, gives me videos at 640x480 resolution at 30 fps. The sound is mono 8 bit pcm, not all that great though. For documentation purposes, it suits my needs fine. With a 4 gb card, at full resolution and fps, you can click about 40 minutes of video at dvd quality resolution, 30fps is better than a movie's frame rate. Please do check out this option, it might be enough for your needs. I am sure that now a days you can digital cameras that can better this resolution at a very decent price.

well i was thinking on those same lines - if not HD then why spend so much on a cam. My cam anyway is hardly used and i use my panasonic lumix to get videos at 800x600 (4:3) anyway. A good canon or a Nikkon would be best buy

friends
thankyou for sparing your valuable time and giving me your suggestions.
can anyone of you give me the model number of a reliable VFM digital camera that records with good vedio quality.

friends
thankyou for sparing your valuable time and giving me your suggestions.
can anyone of you give me the model number of a reliable VFM digital camera that records with good vedio quality.

check out the pana LUMIX DMC-FX30 (VFM) or LUMIX DMC-FX36 (if you can spare some cash). Both are excellent models -the latter is aroudn 12k (gives you HD output videos. So you get the best of both worlds from this 10 MP monster. And i have been using a pana 6 Mp fx01 i picked from the US some 3 years back. Great piece - gives me 100+ pictures per recharge.

Try it - it outguns the sony anyday.

suprateep
as i enquired in pana brand shop yesterday here in chennai the model you mentioned FX36 is Rs 17990.

suprateep
as i enquired in pana brand shop yesterday here in chennai the model you mentioned FX36 is Rs 17990.

golden rule is never go to a brand showroom if you can get something at a lower price elsewhere. Even gadget guru india lists the same at a lower price of 15k. Try in some multi brand outlets - our vijay sales, or somethign like xcite in bangalore. I don't know much about chennai except the mouthwaterign non-veg stuff available there in poonaswamy

hi suprateep
just decided to order online and buy pana fx 36 from jjmehta.com[internet/online shopping]price quoted is rs 13500 along with a 8gb sd card.my doubt is can we believe these online shops.

Dunno about online but JJ Mehta ts very good and reputed camera shop in dadar mumbai.Bought my fuji digicam from JJM 2 yrs back - In fuji shop price was 17 K @ JJM 13.5 K!:clapping:

hi suprateep
just decided to order online and buy pana fx 36 from jjmehta.com[internet/online shopping]price quoted is rs 13500 along with a 8gb sd card.my doubt is can we believe these online shops.

thats the expected price..........8gb sd card included.
Its a fantastic buy and serve you well for years. Do not fall for the sony's or samsungs with their "slim n smart" selling factors. They look decently well on the pc - but do take a printout and you will see. Most sony digicam pics will give you a yellowish tinge when printed and samsung is no different.

I am sure you will take a couple of printouts of your lil one in the future.

Hello friends,:)
I am new to this site pls suggest me which handycam I buy which is useful to capture very far objects and clearty is also good and of which make is better in comparision.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back