Which is a better Midrange LCD/LED TV?

Yup. Sachin if I’m not mistaken? Seems like we’re both in the market for a 65”. Have you narrowed down to a few models? I’m waiting for the H8G. Is there anything compelling from LG/Sony/Samsung for 1L or less.
Yup, how are you buddy? And yes, I am looking for a 55/65". Waiting for H8G and then will decide between H8G65 or 55C9/Q80R/950G.

If you can compromise on size, 55C9 should be an excellent deal at 110-120kish.

Last edited:
Same with me - though I have Samsung Frame in shortlist as well. And I am strictly looking for 65in. Might jump into 75in category if I get it under 200k and I am acting little crazy that day.

My usage patter is very general. News, Kapil Sharma show, Tata Sky, Amazon, Hotstar, Netflix, Zee5, YouTube music videos, HD content over wifi etc. TV to be placed in a living room with lighting all the time. I am no crazy about infinite contrast, or gaming, but good colors, and good upscaling matters a lot. Last week took a demo of 800h and 950g side by side (with my wife) and super bright and sharp image of 950g brought strain to the eyes. 800h colors looked little off compared to 950, but then, in isolation, I would have never complaint about it.

I tried to like OLEDs a lot, but may be I got defective eyes. In my half a dozens demos in showroom, I am yet to develop a taste for it. Just now I was seeing a comparison video and reviewer kept saying "what an amazing black level" and all I could see is missing details.

Sony 950 or the Frame for me. Whatever I am seeing of the Frame, I am very happy with it. I was hoping to go to showroom and take a demo of Frame but Samsung plaza doesn't have it on display as yet.

I have been on hunt for TV for over 6 months and I don't know how long before I get my device. Since the current 42in sony hasn't given up on, I am not in a great hurry. Will see.

Same with me - though I have Samsung Frame in shortlist as well. And I am strictly looking for 65in. Might jump into 75in category if I get it under 200k and I am acting little crazy that day.

My usage patter is very general. News, Kapil Sharma show, Tata Sky, Amazon, Hotstar, Netflix, Zee5, YouTube music videos, HD content over wifi etc. TV to be placed in a living room with lighting all the time. I am no crazy about infinite contrast, or gaming, but good colors, and good upscaling matters a lot. Last week took a demo of 800h and 950g side by side (with my wife) and super bright and sharp image of 950g brought strain to the eyes. 800h colors looked little off compared to 950, but then, in isolation, I would have never complaint about it.

I tried to like OLEDs a lot, but may be I got defective eyes. In my half a dozens demos in showroom, I am yet to develop a taste for it. Just now I was seeing a comparison video and reviewer kept saying "what an amazing black level" and all I could see is missing details.

Sony 950 or the Frame for me. Whatever I am seeing of the Frame, I am very happy with it. I was hoping to go to showroom and take a demo of Frame but Samsung plaza doesn't have it on display as yet.

I have been on hunt for TV for over 6 months and I don't know how long before I get my device. Since the current 42in sony hasn't given up on, I am not in a great hurry. Will see.

Demos in showroom are the problem. They aren't recommended for a reason.

Hisense H8G should be better than Frame specially for your living room (700 nits will fare better in a bright living room than 550). All these VA panels have bad viewing angles if you are not viewing the TV head on. Living rooms tend to be wider and have more seating arrangements than a typical bedroom, so viewing angles usually do come in play. If that is the case here, then you should either get an OLED or atleast a 65Q80R since it has a wide angle filter.

Last edited:

Check out the Viewing Angle section and hope it might help you decide.

Guys, can we conclude what is best and fast :p

I'm also deciding on 65'

9500G, 70R, 80R, B9, C9

Tbh I really like C9 the best but 40-50K more than 9500 and I really want my TV to run for at least 10 years and not be forced to replace (I'm sure I may change it anyway but should be my choice :D )

My demo unit from Panasonic is running strong from last 10 year :)

Hisense's name came up a few times in this discussion, before making a decision, it's worth considering their after Sales service network. Apart from Big 3, rest all have pretty bad service network.

I'm also deciding on 65'

9500G, 70R, 80R, B9, C9

Tbh I really like C9 the best but 40-50K more than 9500 and I really want my TV to run for at least 10 years and not be forced to replace (I'm sure I may change it anyway but should be my choice :D )

My vote Q80R, you won't regret.

I'm also deciding on 65'

9500G, 70R, 80R, B9, C9

Best PQ? C9.

Balance of VFM and PQ? X950G

Q80R costs as much as C9, if not more...

Lasting 10 years? It's a gamble on any modern electronic product. Good luck!

Best PQ? C9.

Balance of VFM and PQ? X950G

Q80R costs as much as C9, if not more...

Lasting 10 years? It's a gamble on any modern electronic product. Good luck!
How about B9? I couldn't find much price diff in B9 vs C9 though.

How about B9? I couldn't find much price diff in B9 vs C9 though.

B9 has a slower processor, with lesser color accuracy, especially at higher luminance ranges, and it is slower in stabilizing motion artifacts. Would I still take over B9 over FALD? Yes. Blooming annoys the fuck out of me, and most of my viewing is in a dark room. Would I recommend B9 for sure over them? No, because of the gimped processor. C9 though... it's a gem! Worth the added cost.

I

I'm also deciding on 65'

9500G, 70R, 80R, B9, C9

Have a look at this forum, they are the Europe's biggest. People here pretty much discussed about all types of pannel. It might help you to take a call.

700 nits will fare better in a bright living room than 550). All these VA panels have bad viewing angles if you are not viewing the TV head on.

Yes sir, did think about these. With so much of content to read and specs to worry about - we at times over estimate our needs may be. My current Sony TV got 400nits of brightness and I had never an issue with its brightness levels. It was set at 60% years ago and still running at that. :)

So I feel comfortable that 550 nits will cut me in. I don't have lot of confidence in H8G in India as yet. Hisense supplies panels to VU and while they are good, I am not willing to go that way for a TV which lasts 6-7yrs for me. So, even if I get the super bright 1200nits from 950G, I may run it with 30% brightness ;)

Viewing angle does seem concerning. I read in this spec sheet that 50in and lower don't have wide viewing angle, bit higher ones do. Attaching the spec sheet.

Also, very few online video reviews exist. One from Michael Fisher of Mr Mobile shot the TV from multiple angles and I found them good enough. These are still not conclusive I believe. Hoping to see this TV in person before making a judgement.
Screenshot_20200629-085645.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200629-085535.jpg
    Screenshot_20200629-085535.jpg
    634.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20200629-085624.jpg
    Screenshot_20200629-085624.jpg
    684.9 KB · Views: 25
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back