Which is best AV receiver under 40k

pradski

I have been using Yamaha V 450 / 6.1 for the past 4 years.

I want to upgrade to 7.1 with little better sound than yamaha and atleast 150 RMS under 40k.

Main is music with occasional movie viewing.

Can anybody give me an idea which is better.

Is Onkyo 606 better ?

I have been using Yamaha V 450 / 6.1 for the past 4 years.

I want to upgrade to 7.1 with little better sound than yamaha and atleast 150 RMS under 40k.

Main is music with occasional movie viewing.

Can anybody give me an idea which is better.

Is Onkyo 606 better ?

If your main interest is music, why are you looking at a 7.1? There is no music available that can drive a 8 channel system. Most SACD and DVD-As are all limited to 5.1.

There have a number of threads on this topic. Please do read through them. But if you are really serious about music and need around 150 watts, the best option may be the Cambridge Audio's Azur 640R that will give you 120 watts into two channels. This will cost you around 50K. The other option is Azur 540R that will be around 35K and give you 100 watts into two channels.

You can also look at receivers from NAD that are supposed to be very musical. But the prices may be outside your budget.

Amongst the Yamaha, Denon, and Onkyo, the Denon is considered the most musical. Look for Denon models that suit your budget and requirements.

BTW, why this fixation on 150 watts minimum? For receivers that is generally a large number and is mostly restricted to expensive receivers. Receivers within your budget will generally pump out 100 watts per channel.

And, what speakers do you have?

Cheers

Thank you Mr Venkatcr. I was not completely happy with the sound of Yamaha v 450. I have 6.1 set up with yamaha towers, sub,sat and centre.

Since two years I am trying to get Polk monitor 70. Still I haven't got it.

I was planning to set up onkyo 606, polk monitor 70 and polk sub.

Or Should I get polk monitor 70 first, try with yamaha 450 itself. This is 35k.

Is there any good speaker in that range.

My place has no centres for hi fi systems, can't go to bangalore to try them.

Thanks abhijit,

I didn't know marantz 7002 will be less than 40k.

i will chek it out. Thank you.

abhishek,

i bought wharfedale 9.6. recently. I will be upgrading rest of the stuff one by one.

I saw your website. I did not know about your place. I will visit for my other stuff. Sub, avr and others.

Thanks.

Pradski, if you are looking at this receiver to pair with the 9.6 floorstanders from Wharfedale, I ought to mention to you that the dealer in Chennai mentioned that the 9.6 really needed beefier amps to drive them. He said he recommends 9.6 only when the amp is at least Marantz SR7002.

Though based on specifications, the speaker does not seem hard to drive. And I think even my SR4001 should be able to drive it to high levels. What do the experts think?

Thanks vortex,

I think marantz sr 7002 will be quite expensive at 85k. If it is really 45k i can go for it.

are there any equivalents ?

thanks

:)

I am of the opinion that even the SR4001 should be able to drive the Diamond 9.6 as it has high sensitivity and is also an easy to drive speaker at only a 6 ohms load.

But I am not sure why the dealer mentions that it needs a more powerful amp.

A Marantz SR5002 is a good option in your case, Pradski. But if you were looking at a receiver which does HDMI upconversion and does well in both movies and music, you can look at the Yamaha VX663. Its a fantastic deal, is fairly powerful and also looks good.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back