Which is Better

shailenderb

Airtel is now offering a DTH STB with recording facility and HDMI output. For existing customers (like me) they are offering the recorder at Rs. 5990/- (Rs.
1000 will be given as credit for future recharges).

Sun HD DTH is offering its DTH STB with HDMI and HD channels at Rs. 7500
(brought down from Rs. 10000).

I am definitely not interested in the recrding facility being offered. Only
feature I am looking at is a box with HDMI.

Which according to you experts is a better option?

Can the HDMI be used to watch regular channels or is it only useful for
watching the recorded programs?

Airtel box comes with a 160 GB HDD. If I am not using it for recording
can I put it to some other use?

Awaiting comments before I decide.

Regds / Shailender

looking at your needs of hdmi both can work. If you watch lot of ngc or discovery then sun hd might be the preference im not sure if airtel plan to introduce some hd channels.

Last edited:
As far as I know only Sun is providing HD channels in India so far. HDMI interface is irrelevant if the transmission is not HD(You might want to check with them if they are going to give HD channels and how many).

However because commonwealth games will be broadcasted in HD, we should expect lot many players to offer HD transmission soon and then obviously having a HDMI interface would count.

BTW I have Airtel IPTV and it stores around a week of recordings on its server .i.e you can watch any program of the ~ 40 channels for past week. No need to record anything.

Last edited:
i would like to know ....can u transfer the recordings stored on ur stb to ur computer by usb or any other means ....?

No, you cannot transfer it to any other medium. You cannot even store any other medium on the built-in HDD. What a waste of 160 GB.

Regds / Shailender

Probably because people would easily record tv shows and share/distribute thereby aiding piracy.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back