Which Media player and How?

BTW I just reread your post and came across this statement ...

And I went :rolleyes: ..... XBMC is not just an interface, its a full video processing, player. How can you expect a player playing an encoded HD video without processing/decoding it. XBMC provides full support for DVXA2 as well, that provides an API for the hardware acceleration and that is done by XBMC itself, same as VDPAU for Linux........ its not just an interface ..... lol and you are asking where I come from ...

XBMC has some decoders built in. BUT its not the one which is doing video scaling and other post processing. It's just passing these on to either the processor or gpu. Its even clear from your own post. It has the API for hardware acceleration. Or DxVA is for doing hardware acceleration. Where do you think that hardware acceleration comes from? Its in the gpu. Almost all the players don't have their own filters to do all the processing. Those are either in avisynth, ffdshow (which are software algorithms and use processor power to do all the processing) and graphics cards own algorithms (hardware based). XBMC is providing an interface and a way to connect these two things together.

If one is not using a dedicated gpu, then all of this is wash. Cause the integrated gpu in most of the motherboards leaves a lot to be desired. That's why a careful selection of components in HTPC is needed. Ask anyone who has built a serious HTPC.

The Video output from PC is not that straightforward out of the box. The PC outputs brightness levels at 0-255 by default. For video, you need 16-235. The first thing to do is update this, either in the player or using the video card in EVR mode (or don't remember whats the latest)
Then the PC colorspace - PC outputs in RGB. For HDTV recording, we need REC 709. Again we need to configure the video card to output it that way. Else, there is always this conversion from 709 to RGB in PC, and then RGB to 709 in the display. Some of the decoders used in the PC player tend to output internally in different colorspace, like YUV or YV12 and then converted by video card to RGB.
OOTB, the picture on PC looks sharp compared to most of the media players, no doubt. But its quite far off as far as colors are concerned, unless its setup properly. Take Media player Home Cinema, and see how many options are given to do the settings properly.

I am one of the people, for whom sharpness is only of the aspect of picture. The other aspects of picture for me are correct de-interlacing, correct 3:2 pulldown, correct black and white levels, accurate colors as possible. Heck, in 2006, I even ran the video output at 48 Hz to avoid framerate conversion.

Now, will it bother some people? Offcourse not. That's why quality is such a subjective term. You say its far better ootb and I can see flaws in it and those are in fact true. At least the media player chips are video based. So they may not have high end video post-processing but at least they output correct black and white levels and accurate colorspace. As for sharpness, it matters mostly with SD conversion. I am doubtful people need sharpness controls on 1080p content.

I am not judging you. In fact, you are the one who is judging me, by accusing to spread "FUD", categorizing, calling as stuck in 2005, calling paranoid etc. My comment was also not about your skills, knowledge of HTPC or PC for that matter. That where you come from idea was about why you calling me names and what I felt was that perhaps you ran out of arguments. If it felt otherwise to you, then I am sorry. But I think it would be prudent not to judge others in the first place.

Very very valid points. None of these are FUD. However none of these are an issue anymore.

Regarding BT.709 to RGB to BT.709, well most players these days allow you to output in BT.709. However most newer TVs also support native RGB with 0-255 levels and actually look better that way. At least my TV does. Actually it seems to love 10 bit RGB the most and that is exactly what I'm feeding it.

Deinterlacing, cadence detection and denoising are not an issue - especially for AMD(ATI) GPUs. NVIDIA does a decent job too but the ATI's are better at this.

Here's an article with all the info.
AnandTech - Discrete HTPC GPU Shootout

24p is natively supported in drivers now. Select 23Hz in the control panel and you are good to go. I get a perfect straight line on my fusion. Frame rate stability is excellent with the newer drivers. All you need to do is put a hot key to switch to 23Hz before you start the movie. So getting 24p is fairly straightforward.

Yes it takes a while, but its totally worth it :).

Sam and Manoj, please cool down.
No problem Venkat. I am all cool so far, just trying to answer the things more rationally.

Venkat and ROC:

I never questioned the quality, format, file playability, and other usage of HTPC. Agree with most of you say. But one thing we have to agree upon that it's not the plug and play solution. One needs to know what he is doing, plan ahead because its just not the hardware. Its the combination of carefully choosing components and software that go along with it. Now a days it may be simplified but to a layman, we all need to understand that there is a learning curve in setting things right. What may take some of us a day to set it up, can take couple days for others to get it right and that is the truth. Not to mention the regular PC things like setting up anti-virus, spyware, firewall etc. Now for us, it may be easy but its part of the maintenance of a PC. That's what I called an hassle and then rest is the story on this thread. :) It's perfectly alright for me if one goes for HTPC because it has its own benefits. But its not the only solution and there are simpler solutions available too.

Anyway, as for me, I was in the same boat for a long time. But over the time, I lost the whole appetite for keep needling HTPC. Moreover, our 7 year old (that time) couldn't play the whole thing on her own. So, I ultimately went for DVDO Edge and media player. With DVDO, the picture quality is surpassed or equal to an HTPC (don't want to start another fire here). Another benefit of DVDO is all my video sources like DVD player, TV set top box, Bluray player and HD-DVD player are benefited in the video processing department. I still have the HTPC in the rack, its connected to DVDO and AVR, has a media center remote. But I don't turn it on at all. somehow do not feel the need of it. That's the experience I have and wanted to share here.

ROC:
IMO, its little weird that you like the 0-255 levels compared to 16-235. Reason is video is never encoded that way. Playing it at 0-255 level increases the brightness, but also raises the black floor a lot. Have you tried watching some dark scenes and compared the two different settings? Also, try setting the contrast and brightness settings on display using BTB and WTW test patterns. I am sure you may discover something new. :)

Last edited:
The Video output from PC is not that straightforward out of the box. The PC outputs brightness levels at 0-255 by default. For video, you need 16-235. The first thing to do is update this, either in the player or using the video card in EVR mode (or don't remember whats the latest) Then the PC colorspace - PC outputs in RGB. For HDTV recording, we need REC 709. Again we need to configure the video card to output it that way. Else, there is always this conversion from 709 to RGB in PC, and then RGB to 709 in the display. Some of the decoders used in the PC player tend to output internally in different colorspace, like YUV or YV12 and then converted by video card to RGB.

You can take care of this through a utility software and the Spears & Munsil Set up disc. I agree it is not easy, but once setup properly, the result is phenomenal.

I never questioned the quality, format, file playability, and other usage of HTPC. Agree with most of you say. But one thing we have to agree upon that it's not the plug and play solution. One needs to know what he is doing, plan ahead because its just not the hardware. Its the combination of carefully choosing components and software that go along with it. Now a days it may be simplified but to a layman, we all need to understand that there is a learning curve in setting things right. What may take some of us a day to set it up, can take couple days for others to get it right and that is the truth. Not to mention the regular PC things like setting up anti-virus, spyware, firewall etc. Now for us, it may be easy but its part of the maintenance of a PC. That's what I called an hassle and then rest is the story on this thread. :)

Though it is not plug and play, it is not as difficult as you think. There is enough data available on the Net to configure a HTPC quite easily including all the hardware and software. Even in HFV, Sam and a few others have helped people with advise.

For me, the results, upgradeability, and long term usage far outstrips the initial hassle. I know a number of interested dealers in Mumbai and Chennai are delivering completely set up media servers.

I would certainly agree a HTPC is not for the faint hearted. For any person who knows how to use a computer and who is familiar with OS's, it is a breeze. A little while ago, I asked my niece to see if she can use my HTPC without any help from me. She was cruising along happily watching movies and listening to songs without blinking.

I strongly feel that the inherent advantages a CPU and GPU combination provides will force manufacturers to start offering fully functional HTPC by themselves in a short while. Companies such as Asus, Gigabyte and others will not miss this market.

Cheers

The Video output from PC is not that straightforward out of the box. The PC outputs brightness levels at 0-255 by default. For video, you need 16-235. The first thing to do is update this, either in the player or using the video card in EVR mode (or don't remember whats the latest)
Then the PC colorspace - PC outputs in RGB. For HDTV recording, we need REC 709. Again we need to configure the video card to output it that way. Else, there is always this conversion from 709 to RGB in PC, and then RGB to 709 in the display. Some of the decoders used in the PC player tend to output internally in different colorspace, like YUV or YV12 and then converted by video card to RGB.
OOTB, the picture on PC looks sharp compared to most of the media players, no doubt. But its quite far off as far as colors are concerned, unless its setup properly. Take Media player Home Cinema, and see how many options are given to do the settings properly.

I am one of the people, for whom sharpness is only of the aspect of picture. The other aspects of picture for me are correct de-interlacing, correct 3:2 pulldown, correct black and white levels, accurate colors as possible. Heck, in 2006, I even ran the video output at 48 Hz to avoid framerate conversion.

Now, will it bother some people? Offcourse not. That's why quality is such a subjective term. You say its far better ootb and I can see flaws in it and those are in fact true. At least the media player chips are video based. So they may not have high end video post-processing but at least they output correct black and white levels and accurate colorspace. As for sharpness, it matters mostly with SD conversion. I am doubtful people need sharpness controls on 1080p content.

OMG!! if somebody reads this post he is definately gonna swear against an HTPC, although he might not even understand half of what you have said .....

I appreciate your knowledge but this is where the fear and uncertainty rises ..... REC709 is a standard for HD TV and RGB is ......a color management to produce wide range of colors among displays, Also the LCDs uses sRGB which have the same BT709 primaries, so I am not sure if there is even any actual conversion being done. Also as ROC said most newer TVs also support native RGB with 0-255 levels and actually look better that way.

having said that, there are so many conversions and scaling that happens between the source and the display. Its like arguing about the analogue and the digital audio. A truck load of conversion happens between the source and the speakers, if the source is digital. So we start spreading that tape decks are convenient no hassle means to enjoy the audio and iPod isnt .....as god know how many conversion take place when we introduce a DAC in between. Doesnt work that way.

I am not judging you. In fact, you are the one who is judging me, by accusing to spread "FUD", categorizing, calling as stuck in 2005, calling paranoid etc. My comment was also not about your skills, knowledge of HTPC or PC for that matter. That where you come from idea was about why you calling me names and what I felt was that perhaps you ran out of arguments. If it felt otherwise to you, then I am sorry. But I think it would be prudent not to judge others in the first place.

FUD stands for Fear Uncertainty and doubt and it noway is a parameter of judging ones knowledge, your spreading FUD was not a comment on your knowledge, rather it was what the name suggests.... FUD, which I still say you are doing with throwing so much of anti HTPC technical jargon while comparing it with Media player that an end user would certainly start developing Fear Uncertainty and doubt if he actually should even go for it. Where as in actual practical sense when it comes down to displaying the picture HTPC is far ahead. Specially when playing the BD ISO. My PHOD was not way near to my HTPC in clarity while playing BD ISO, despite of what ever conversions you have tried to explain here.

Last edited:
OMG!! if somebody reads this post he is definately gonna swear against an HTPC, although he might not even understand half of what you have said .....
Does not matter what the user reading thinks about it. cause that's just the reality is. One do has to update these things. It's got simpler now, as Venkat said about Spear and Munsil disc, but users are needed to update it.
Also as ROC said most newer TVs also support native RGB with 0-255 levels and actually look better that way.
Granted, most of the newer TV's support native RGB. But those also support REC 709 because those are HDTV's to begin with. Why do un-necessary conversions? If I am using a PC, I would like to avoid it. And most will agree with it. As for 0-255 looking better, I don't know for sure. Can I call it personal choice? may be. But almost all the video calibrators/setup professionals/installers will say no to that. You will see loss of black details and crushed whites. And this is not my opinion. Just google "PC levels vs. video levels" and read yourself.
having said that, there are so many conversions and scaling that happens between the source and the display. Its like arguing about the analogue and the digital audio. A truck load of conversion happens between the source and the speakers, if the source is digital. So we start spreading that tape decks are convenient no hassle means to enjoy the audio and iPod isnt .....as god know how many conversion take place when we introduce a DAC in between. Doesnt work that way.
Not really telling people to go play VCR's or go analog. If conversion is necessary, it is necessary. But why do it unnecessarily, if it can be avoided with proper configuration? After all, isn't one of the advantage of HTPC to have access to all the different configs?
FUD stands for Fear Uncertainty and doubt and it noway is a parameter of judging ones knowledge, your spreading FUD was not a comment on your knowledge, rather it was what the name suggests.... FUD, which I still say you are doing with throwing so much of anti HTPC technical jargon while comparing it with Media player that an end user would certainly start developing Fear Uncertainty and doubt if he actually should even go for it. Where as in actual practical sense when it comes down to displaying the picture HTPC is far ahead. Specially when playing the BD ISO.
Its one thing to know what FUD is and another to accuse somebody of it. All I did was state some facts, and say HTPC is an hassle compared to using a media player at $100. Bring me one person, who can setup HTPC faster than setting up media player to play, lets say an mkv file through media player interface and I will take it all back. And all the things that I posted above is not just throwing things around. Those are real. Setting up HTPC does need some reading and understanding what the person is doing.
My PHOD was not way near to my HTPC in clarity while playing BD ISO, despite of what ever conversions you have tried to explain here.
I agree that HTPC has better scaling and de-interlacing for non 1080p material like SD. But can't agree with 1080p BD iso having different quality on Pohd vs htpc. Almost everywhere you will read that Bluray output at 1080p24 does not differ from player to player. Even a $100 panny BD player will have same picture quality as Oppo for 1080p bluray. Where it varies is DVD upconversion.
Is it possible may be your display was not calibrated properly for brightness/contrast? and that's why 0-255 pc levels look good on it?

Anyway, as I stated before - I have nothing against HTPC. It's just that its more work compared to media player. You get benefit but as venkat pointed out correctly - it's not for faint hearted and definitely not plug and play. If you don't agree with that, its fine but its a reality.

Last edited:
Granted, most of the newer TV's support native RGB. But those also support REC 709 because those are HDTV's to begin with. Why do un-necessary conversions? If I am using a PC, I would like to avoid it. And most will agree with it. As for 0-255 looking better, I don't know for sure. Can I call it personal choice? may be. But almost all the video calibrators/setup professionals/installers will say no to that. You will see loss of black details and crushed whites. And this is not my opinion. Just google "PC levels vs. video levels" and read yourself.

Not really telling people to go play VCR's or go analog. If conversion is necessary, it is necessary. But why do it unnecessarily, if it can be avoided with proper configuration? After all, isn't one of the advantage of HTPC to have access to all the different configs?

Its one thing to know what FUD is and another to accuse somebody of it. All I did was state some facts, and say HTPC is an hassle compared to using a media player at $100. Bring me one person, who can setup HTPC faster than setting up media player to play, lets say an mkv file through media player interface and I will take it all back. And all the things that I posted above is not just throwing things around. Those are real. Setting up HTPC does need some reading and understanding what the person is doing.

I agree with a PC we have the option to avoid conversion, and/or do all sorts of calibration. BUT the point was not this. Even if we do not do any calibration, and built the HTPC the basic way with a mid level hardware, it still lands up superior in lots of parameters than a media player.
Ofcourse setting up a media player is easy as compared to HTPC, but the way you have described with so much of technicalities it looks like an avg joe would not even think in terms of building an HTPC.

My experience,

1. you pick up a media player plug in mains and the drive and start playing the movie ......

2. You pick up/assemble an HTPC with a mid level GPU, install windows, install GPU drivers, install XBMC or OpenELEC and thats it, start playing movies. Without any calibration, on the same display, with the same settings, HTPC movie quality was far far better than media player. And the same experience with my friend as well who bought the LG LW 3D TV. There was a clear difference in picture quality when he played high bitrate 1080p content from his WDTV and then via his HTPC.

Now does the above steps to set up HTPC sound too complicated. I guess not. Yes if ones says I dont even want to get in to the hassle of installing windows and XBMC and blah blah ...... By all means HTPC is not for him, and should settle for a Media Player.

I agree that HTPC has better scaling and de-interlacing for non 1080p material like SD. But can't agree with 1080p BD iso having different quality on Pohd vs htpc. Almost everywhere you will read that Bluray output at 1080p24 does not differ from player to player. Even a $100 panny BD player will have same picture quality as Oppo for 1080p bluray. Where it varies is DVD upconversion. Is it possible may be your display was not calibrated properly for brightness/contrast? and that's why 0-255 pc levels look good on it?

Nope same settings same environment, I just changed the source while playing the BD ISO. And the difference was not on the color/brightness or contrast, the difference was very minute (but clearly visible) artifacts in terms of jagged corners and noise in the video, which was not at all there when played via HTPC.

Plus not to forget no BD ISO menu. Without it the movie experience is all crap. Anyway thats another story but definitely goes against Media Players as almost no media player has introduced BD ISO full Menu playback

To summarize, HTPC definitely has more work then Media Players but its not so much that an avg joe can not handle, where as the result and rewards are much better/more with the same.

Last edited:
Guys, your debate has given me so much insight into HTPC and Media player....thanks for that :)

Debates really helps in forums, it is really educating.

Here is my situation:

My parents mostly use LCD TV in living room where I have 32" LCD TV and they struggle to use even menu based remote,they can only do simple channel browsiing and volume change. Also I will mostly setup my music system in living room

I have setup my PC setup in my bedroom(since my CPU crashed, so only 22" monitor, DVD Drive and HDD),

I have a feeling that It will be too costly to set up two HTPC...

1) one for living room as media player only

2) and other for bedroom, where I will also use it as normal PC

So my question is very radical :), I hope I am not going too far.

A) Can I setup and configure and customize a very cheep HTPC with remote operation such that my parents can just switch on the device and wait for windows and XMBC load and then manage entire operation using only remote when I am out for office......I am computure savy and can manage with installation and DIY? In this case I may have to setup two HTPC, you can suggest me a cheapest HTPC capable of playing 1024p in the living room, which can be upgraded more later on.

B) Can I setup only one HTPC in living room and manage both monitors with a WI FI setup such that when I disconnect it from living room TV I can use it seamlessly and wireless(i.e without moving the cpu) with bedroom monitor with wireless mouse and keyboard? now I know I may be asking too much :) But in this case I might save cost of one additional HTPC

C) I might buy a good media player likes of WD media Hub, or Hi Media player in living room and HTPC in bedroom with streaming capability

Last edited:
A) Can I setup and configure and customize a very cheep HTPC with remote operation such that my parents can just switch on the device and wait for windows and XMBC load and then manage entire operation using only remote when I am out for office......I am computure savy and can manage with installation and DIY? In this case I may have to setup two HTPC, you can suggest me a cheapest HTPC capable of playing 1024p in the living room, which can be upgraded more later on.

The cheapest of the cheap HTPC with the new current hardware would atleast set up back around 14-15K (without the display), however I would recomend this awsome product Zotac Zbox Nano Plus HTPC, which I mentioned in the back pages as well.

Its an HTPC with a pretty decent hardware, will handle all 1080p content and in all probability 3D as well. No need for any assembling, comes in a very attractive mini case. Come with a physical remote (that is not as easy to configure when you DIY HTPC), would also set you back around 14-15K and is available in India through Zotac Dealers.

You just need to install windows and XBMC, OR you can avoide windows and use OpenELEC (or Live version of XBMC), that would not need windows installation. You would want windows only if you wanna run other applications along with XBMC.

B) Can I setup only one HTPC in living room and manage both monitors with a WI FI setup such that when I disconnect it from living room TV I can use it seamlessly and wireless(i.e without moving the cpu) with bedroom monitor with wireless mouse and keyboard? now I know I may be asking too much :) But in this case I might save cost of one additional HTPC

Yes you can manage two displays with one HTPC, only if you have two HDMIs on one single GPU. Usually this is not the case as we have one DVI and one HDMI. YOu can still manage to connect two displays, albeit audio for one display need to be via optical or coaxial (meaning no DTS MA or DD THD for that). Wireless keyboard mouse usually work within 10-12 feet of distance from the reciever so you need to make sure you maintain that.

I might buy a good media player likes of WD media Hub, or Hi Media player in living room and HTPC in bedroom with streaming capability

yes if thats what you wish, depends on how you wanna configure the setup under the budget you have ,,,,,

Thanks Sam and Manoj,

Despite you guys helping me out and giving me very good suggestions, I am back to square one, Just because I am unable to decide upon spreading my budget :) so I have to still spend some time on that and engage my family decide on a priority.

1) a PC --Mostly used by Me and my two siblings to browse internet and movie download. it is useless for my parents. My internet connection is going waste since last 15 days :(

2) or a media player which might be more easily used by my parents using remote.

I might be good in doing research, but I am very bad in planning :)

Just to increase my knowledge more and be prepared for future here are final set of question?

for short term :
a) Which is more energy efficient Media Player or HTPC

for long term:
b) what is the best and cost-effective way, to set a wireless NAS? Can I use WD live media hub for setting a 2 TB wireless NAS, is there any better alternative?

a) Which is more energy efficient Media Player or HTPC

A media player will consume less energy, but only if you consider 20-30W a great deal of savings. An ITX HTPC (such as the ZBOX one) on full load would not consume more than 100W (even that is more I guess)

for long term:
b) what is the best and cost-effective way, to set a wireless NAS? Can I use WD live media hub for setting a 2 TB wireless NAS, is there any better alternative?

Buy a Router, (assuming you already dont have one), Buy a Wifi dongle or a PCI card, install it in your NAS and it becomes Wifi, but I would never recommend a wifi for HD movies,

First : Poor streaming........not the low HD rips or DVD rips. I am talking about 10GB 20mbps rips or BD ISOs. (certainly BD ISOs)

Second : Very low transfer rate even for Wifi n, copying couple of 5GB HD rips is PITA.

I only use wifi for browsing or some casual data transfer. Apart from that all my PCs and Servers are Wired via Gigabit LAN and its a pleasure to work on Gigabit LAN.

Sam,

There is a interesting twist in the situation. last weekend I was able to buy a old laptop "D620" pretty cheap Rs 2000 :).

I just upgraded the Ram from 512 DDR2 to 2.5 GB and I am now able to install win 7.

So now the situation is:

I have one 32" TV(has HDMI and HD15 PC Input--I guess is other name for VGA)
One Dell laptop d620(without any HDMI, only VGA)
One 22" Samsung Monitor
One office laptop--bring home only during weekends.
One ISP connection though LAN
And spare 3.5" 160 GB HDD, 2.5" 300 GB USB drive.

I want to maximize utilization of all the above resources for multimedia options.
1) Can I convert my Dell Laptop to HDMI deliverable unit, with its monitor shutdown to save powerr?
2) Can I set it up to as both NAS and media player? My Laptop has only 60 GB HDD--Not sure How do I increase its capacity?
3) Since My home and office Laptop both are wifi ready, should I buy a wireless router for best connectivity, which wireless router would be best option?

I wan't to maximize utilization of all of these units for internet and media delivery. Do I need to buy a media player with NAS and WiFi?

At the most I might consider spending 5-6K more in my budget now and 5-6K in Dec'11.

P.S: Admin, you can move this thread to HTPC section, if it is not relevant here...

1) Can I convert my Dell Laptop to HDMI deliverable unit, with its monitor shutdown to save powerr?

NO, since the laptop only has VGA............. VGA technically can do 1080p, infact VGA has no resolution limit, but there are other things that limit the image quality like ... the effects of PI, filters, DAC bandwidth, cable bandwidth, connector quality.....etc etc, all take their toll on image quality.. So technically you should be able to view HD rips but that would not be as clear as say component or HDMI. DVDs and DVD rips would work fine. If your TV has direct VGA input, you only need a vga cable. if it doesnt, then, you can get a VGA to RCA cable or VGA to HDMI (but VGA to HDMI would not mean you would improve image quality) its just converting the singnals so as to be used via HDMI.

2) Can I set it up to as both NAS and media player? My Laptop has only 60 GB HDD--Not sure How do I increase its capacity?

NO for NAS and yea for a media player. A computer is a media player in itself, as it obviously plays all media via any media application.
To increase capacity you either buy a new 2.5" HDD with higher capacity, or get a portable USB 2.0 drive.

EDIT PS for above two points :::: You laptop display card should also have the juice to play HD content. Its just not about the output connector, but also the display card. (if it even supports 1080p res)

3) Since My home and office Laptop both are wifi ready, should I buy a wireless router for best connectivity, which wireless router would be best option?

Since you wont need a wifi n, an inexpensive option would just do fine. I would suggest Linksys WRT54G

I wan't to maximize utilization of all of these units for internet and media delivery. Do I need to buy a media player with NAS and WiFi?

Up to you. If you have the budget and want more exclusive setup with better Audio, Video and features, you should go for a seperate Media player OR HTPC. Else the above would just do good for basic SD video playback.

Last edited:
Sam and team,

I had come accross this HD600B media player.

Does hd600b works as a good NAS, can I access its HDD wirelessly/or using Cat5 cable from Laptop for viewing SD vedio?

Also I have one 32" TV, one with HDMI and one 22" LCD monitor with VGA. will it support "Playing" HD on one monitor and SD on another monitor, simultaneously, or one at a time?

If this works, atleast I can Buy HD600 and save some money on router and NAS :)

Sam and team,

I had come accross this HD600B media player.

Does hd600b works as a good NAS, can I access its HDD wirelessly/or using Cat5 cable from Laptop for viewing SD vedio?

Also I have one 32" TV, one with HDMI and one 22" LCD monitor with VGA. will it support "Playing" HD on one monitor and SD on another monitor, simultaneously, or one at a time?

If this works, atleast I can Buy HD600 and save some money on router and NAS :)

HD600b can be used as a file storage device and you can access the files on your pc through wifi or network cable. The wifi speed is not great, but is sufficient for SD playback. I was able to play upto 4GB BDRip files.

The player hsa only one hdmi out which you can connect to your TV. There is no vga out.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back